• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

5 Randoms from the Weekend

H1ghlander

Always on
I know, I was supposed to be taking a break from photography until I got another project out of the way but needed to get away from things for a short while to get my shutter click fix.
5 shots all from the weekend, I've been away for a few months and to say I was a bit rusty is an understatement.

A couple of close up intimate shots, always find these types incredibly enjoyable to look for, take and process.

eil i.JPG

eil.JPG

Not sure I like this yet or ever.

eil ii.JPG

A misty morning, was hoping the mist would gently burn off allowing some subtle soft light to filter through but it never lifted once.

eil iiiiii.JPG

Trying to burn off but not quite. Not much of a picture, just like the atmospherics.

eil v.JPG

Thanks for looking.

David_MC

Always on
I really like the first two and I love the atmosphere in the last two shots.

On the third image, would it have been possible to get down lower and use the two foreground trees to frame the more distant one? I wonder what that would have looked like?

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
#1 is ace, great colour. :ok: I do like #3 but the branch on the right hand tree bugs me a little bit, it blocks the view ‘through’ the pic.

H1ghlander

Always on
I really like the first two and I love the atmosphere in the last two shots.
That's about where I'm at with all 5 pictures too, thanks.
Love the crispness of the first, and #5 looks like a large forest fire. Beautiful!
Cheers Pete.
Great set Scott, no.s 1 and 3 for me. Really like the formation of the trees in the 3rd. Really interesting stuff going on in the last image too.
Thanks Ryan.
#1 is ace, great colour. :ok: I do like #3 but the branch on the right hand tree bugs me a little bit, it blocks the view ‘through’ the pic.
Yep, that bugs me too. Its that kind of small detail that makes or breaks a picture. When you're on your game you tend to notice these things but being a bit rusty after a while away it never crossed my mind until processing.
Third and forth would be my favourites Scott, nice set though. BTW hope the project is going well.
Thanks Garth, house build coming along nicely.

Not long after taking the fourth picture I noticed a spike and leg end was missing from the trusty Gitzo I've had for 5 or 6 years without any issues. Its put in sterling service with all sorts of abuse in some of the harshest conditions you can expect in the Scottish Highlands. I tried looking for it but the undergrowth was fairly deep and I couldn't locate exactly where the leg had been so didn't waste too much time.
Priced a new spike, £35...ouch. And a new threaded leg end. It appears Gitzo don't offer just the threaded insert (probably because it has to be bonded into the carbon fibre) so you have to buy the whole leg at £106...double ouch.

An hour and a half on the lathe and it was fixed. :D

spike i.jpg

spike ii.jpg

spike.jpg

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
I'm with david, the first 2 excellent and love the feel of the last 2. The middle isn't quite working for me.

I lost one of my spikes due to not doing it up tight enough but never heard of the whole end coming off!

If it makes you feel any better I dropped my D850, 14-24 and Lee SW150 filter setup in a waterfall in Iceland on Tuesday due to not noticing I hadn't aligned the allen bolts on my L bracket to sit either side of my tripod plate and it didn't lock on the tripod. I waded out into the river holding the tripod and watched it fall off the top into the river! The glass CPL is smashed, the adaptor ring has lost its front locking ring, the 14-24 isn't working and the internal elements saturated and bizarrely after drying it out the 850 is working!

H1ghlander

Always on
I'm with david, the first 2 excellent and love the feel of the last 2. The middle isn't quite working for me.

I lost one of my spikes due to not doing it up tight enough but never heard of the whole end coming off!

If it makes you feel any better I dropped my D850, 14-24 and Lee SW150 filter setup in a waterfall in Iceland on Tuesday due to not noticing I hadn't aligned the allen bolts on my L bracket to sit either side of my tripod plate and it didn't lock on the tripod. I waded out into the river holding the tripod and watched it fall off the top into the river! The glass CPL is smashed, the adaptor ring has lost its front locking ring, the 14-24 isn't working and the internal elements saturated and bizarrely after drying it out the 850 is working!
F**k, what a nightmare.
If you haven't considered it yet you must put in an insurance claim even though the 850 is still working. The corrosion will have already started internally so the body is destined to an early death. Same happened to me, it was a D610 at the time. Like your Nikon it worked after drying it out. Sent away for insurance inspection and they said it was beginning to rust internally so paid out in full for lens and body.
I claimed on my house insurance.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
F**k, what a nightmare.
If you haven't considered it yet you must put in an insurance claim even though the 850 is still working. The corrosion will have already started internally so the body is destined to an early death. Same happened to me, it was a D610 at the time. Like your Nikon it worked after drying it out. Sent away for insurance inspection and they said it was beginning to rust internally so paid out in full for lens and body.
I claimed on my house insurance.
I will Scott, I've got all my gear insured with Hiscox so I will get on it on monday.