• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Ammonite

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Macro's not really my thing but I experimented for a local photography club project entitled, 'Detail' :)...

P1010091.JPGP1010092.JPGP1010095.JPGP1010096.JPG

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Geometric patterns in nature can make a great subject to shoot and this ammonite looks like it has some great potential.

Of the four shots I think #1 and #4 are the strongest. Without knowing what setup and settings you have used pointers I can see off the top of my head are in #1 the highlights are blown which may or may not be a mistake depending on whether you were going for the high key look. You also have a missing wedge of the image in the lower left hand corner which may be from a crop or a shadow but it draws the eye a bit.

I really like the colour you have added to the spiral in #1 and I wonder if a closer shot of just the ammonite might make for a stronger image, perhaps in a square crop. If your brief is detail it might also benefit from an increase in contrast to enhance the ridges/ shadows like you have in #2 to give the image more depth and punch.

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hello Ryan - thank you very much for taking the time to write such a helpful reply :)! I'll have a go at what you suggest in the last paragraph.

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I don't mind my EXIF data showing up; I'm not sure how to do that. I've been taking photographs since I was 11 when I got a Kodak Instamatic for Christmas! I had film cameras over the years and went digital in 2009 with a Canon Ixus 105. Then I got a Panasonic Lumix TZ55 with manual controls. Moving on, I bought a second-hand Panasonic Lumix FZ72 4 years ago and then a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 in April. I might be on the road to a mirrorless camera :)!

My settings were: Macro; F2.8; no flash; 'Intelligent (?) ISO'!

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I don't mind my EXIF data showing up; I'm not sure how to do that. I've been taking photographs since I was 11 when I got a Kodak Instamatic for Christmas! I had film cameras over the years and went digital in 2009 with a Canon Ixus 105. Then I got a Panasonic Lumix TZ55 with manual controls. Moving on, I bought a second-hand Panasonic Lumix FZ72 4 years ago and then a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 in April. I might be on the road to a mirrorless camera :)!

My settings were: Macro; F2.8; no flash; 'Intelligent (?) ISO'!
Some common reasons for EXIF not showing are file sizes being outside the forum limits of 1024px on the longest side and under 250Kb although I find sometimes the forum software gets weird with files above 245Kb. Another common one is the software used to process/ edit or resize stripping the EXIF out.

What is your typical editing process? maybe we can figure out where the data is getting lost.

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks very much for your interest, Ryan - seeing as I happen to be awake :D!...

Righty-ho - my typical editing process:
1. I upload photos from the Sandisk (Ultra) SDHC card to my laptop (I shoot RAW + jpeg)
2. I put the photos in a folder with a memorable (I hope!) name and the date e.g. Ammonites_Detail_7.10.20
3. I edit the RAW files using a combination of Faststone Image Viewer, Corel Paintshop Pro v7 and sometimes Irfanview ( a great, free program which I've had for years - a lot more to it than initially meets the eye!)
4. I resize to 1600 x 1200 px, as recommended by my local photography club 'guru';)!
5. I upload the pics to Flickr if they're for 'homework' for my club (I also upload to Flickr just for myself) and then I change the file name to give the photos a title.

I don't know if this helps but this is my Flickr link:

Thanks again :)!

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No problem Electra, you're up earlier than I was that's for sure. :)
Righty-ho - my typical editing process:
Well looking at the steps in your editing process there could be a couple reasons for the missing EXIF.

First off as I understand it Corel PP will strip EXIF if you save an image in the native .cpt file container. IF you save as a .cpt and then as a .jpg the EXIF will have already been stripped by the time you save the second time. In Corel if you save the file as a .jpg before saving as a .cpt the .jpg file will still have EXIF. You can see if the EXIF has been stripped in this step by checking the .jpg file properties. In Windows just right click the file and select Properties at the bottom of the list that appears on the right click, I think in a Mac it is a similar process but instead of Properties it is More Info.

Another thing it could be is the file size. Like most camera clubs I have heard of the 1600/1200px landcape/ portrait size is pretty standard for PDI entries but for the forum if you upload an image of these dimensions and the forum software somehow accepts it one of the first things the software will do is strip the EXIF and resize the image to the 1024px <250Kb as per the forum limits. To avoid this and keep the EXIF for images that you are uploading to the forum they will require their own resize/ save to keep the image within the limits.

For each of my images I tend to have a minimum of 5 files, the original RAW, a full sized .psd (photoshop), a full sized .jpg, a 1600/1200px .jpg and a 1024/900px .jpg for the forum(if I plan on uploading it here). Probably unnecessary and overkill to have that many but computer storage is cheap(ish) and I like to keep all the versions at hand.

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Oh thanks very much - super useful:)! I think the size is the issue; I'll resize for the forum in future (it's a great forum, by the way;)!).