• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Autumn travel plans - Western US

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Did some searching and it does look interesting. Did you have any reservations about bringing your camera gear on the journey?
On the boat journey you mean?
Not really. Only took one camera with lens.

On the road trip as a whole, no either.

There were only two stops that felt dodgy, I think one per trip. One was a town people here said "oh you never stayed there did you". The check in girl said you're booked out the back, for 5 bucks I can put you out the front, with a I would if I was you look. We did.
Another one was called the Hitchin post, can't recall town now. But it looked residential with half fixed cars outside rooms and various other things. Not very clean either. But everywhere else felt safe.
The "aircon" in our death Valley motel was, unique. A pipe coming from the ceiling maybe 10 inches round with a hurricane wind coming out of it. Right racket. Gawd knows how we got to sleep.
But these things are part of the trip and memories we talk about.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
The "aircon" in our death Valley motel was, unique. A pipe coming from the ceiling maybe 10 inches round with a hurricane wind coming out of it. Right racket. Gawd knows how we got to sleep.
Most likely what you were experiencing was an older style and worn out "swamp cooler" or more aptly named evaporative cooler. Rather than using an air compressor and special gasses to produce cool air, swamp coolers use water and rapid evaporation to cool the air. You most likely was hearing the water pump and fan. They were usually placed in the center of the ceiling.

They are a lot less expensive to run the standard air conditioning. The drier the outside air, the better they work.

Kevin (ksdg01)

Before my last road trip I purchased a 16-300mm lens to use the majority of the time, the reason was (as we were visiting very sandy places) so I would not have to change lenses, risking getting dust/sand into the camera, that's probably the only concern I had.
Paul
Had a bit of desert dust last time myself. Finally tired of editing the photos to remove the dust so I had the sensor cleaned.

On the boat journey you mean?
Not really. Only took one camera with lens.

On the road trip as a whole, no either.

There were only two stops that felt dodgy, I think one per trip. One was a town people here said "oh you never stayed there did you". The check in girl said you're booked out the back, for 5 bucks I can put you out the front, with a I would if I was you look. We did.
Another one was called the Hitchin post, can't recall town now. But it looked residential with half fixed cars outside rooms and various other things. Not very clean either. But everywhere else felt safe.
But these things are part of the trip and memories we talk about.
Yes, I did mean the boat trip, thanks.
I agree, the dodgy situations, while traveling, do add some seasoning to the trip and that does sound like some unique A/C

Kevin (ksdg01)

I survived the road trip and will post a few snapshots in the upcoming days.

The weather created some challenges in Olympic high up in the mountains with snow, freezing rain and dense fog. The descent from the mountain to the remainder of the park was nice and, in fact, quite remarkable.

Mt Rainer had similar issues with the inclement weather which prevented me from completing the mountain drive due to not having appropriate snow tires or snow chains. Unfortunately, the heavy fog prevented there even being a view of the mountain, the same as in Olympic.

I skipped Crater Lake all together as the webcams showed nothing but dense fog.

While the trip was rushed – just over 3000 miles of driving in one week, I certainly enjoyed the adventure and will begin planning the next outing.
Everyone, thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions, they were much appreciated.