• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Just Sharing Bee. Still trying out new lens.

kayak

Always on
Still trying out my new lens. I'd feel better if things with stings didn't fly near my face when I reach into the flower beds with my camera. This one I got today (it's after midnight now, so I should really say yesterday).
aDSC_7287.jpg

A couple more from yesterday.
aDSC_7243.jpg

aDSC_7316.jpg

Last edited:

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Still trying out my new lens. I'd feel better if things with stings didn't fly near my face when I reach into the flower beds with my camera. This one I got today (it's after midnight now, so I should really say yesterday).
View attachment 305789
What may help you...
In particular to b.bees..I first watch they are doing. The more there are or faster they move, the more aggressive.
Look for the more relaxed, ones who are just going about their business.
Place your body as close as you need to, first and slowly. Then an when you go in with your camera.. also go in slowly.
Your body should not shift, so not to disturb.
Any buzzing around should be just tham going about their business.

Ultimately, it's your choice how you post.
I find this is a great forum and even what you may see as "harsh" at first..should be consreuctive. I know I don't want all likes on my photos and most who comment on mine have an idea what to expect from me- as well as know I try to get better.
Tips and crits have helped me.
I see you are making a valid attempt at macro- which may not come as easy to some. (Me included)
Keep at it.

kayak

Always on
Thanks to you all. Although I put this up as Just Sharing, please feel free to add pointers.
A lot of the pink on the flower was burnt out by the sun, so I had to do a bit of photoshop magic to put some colour back. :grin:

kayak

Always on
What may help you...
In particular to b.bees..I first watch they are doing. The more there are or faster they move, the more aggressive.
Look for the more relaxed, ones who are just going about their business.
Place your body as close as you need to, first and slowly. Then an when you go in with your camera.. also go in slowly.
Your body should not shift, so not to disturb.
Any buzzing around should be just tham going about their business.

Ultimately, it's your choice how you post.
I find this is a great forum and even what you may see as "harsh" at first..should be consreuctive. I know I don't want all likes on my photos and most who comment on mine have an idea what to expect from me- as well as know I try to get better.
Tips and crits have helped me.
I see you are making a valid attempt at macro- which may not come as easy to some. (Me included)
Keep at it.
Thanks for that. Your message was posted as I was writing the one above.
I'm getting hooked on macro. Wish the weather here would improve so I could get out more.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Thanks to you all. Although I put this up as Just Sharing, please feel free to add pointers.
A lot of the pink on the flower was burnt out by the sun, so I had to do a bit of photoshop magic to put some colour back. :grin:
As I am on my phone...I cannot see exif.
What I may see is either the shutter speed a bit slow or harsher light.
My guess is the light.
Macro needs alot of light but diffused. Direct sunlight midday is pretty harsh.
F8-11 works well in diffused light.
Hope this helps as well.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
You have done well with this photo: side on composition, eye in focus and a silky background. The colour palette works very well also. If you are using natural light aim for a shutter speed of 1000, aperture F9 or narrower and ISO 800/3200. Keep practicing and bee-careful.

kayak

Always on
As I am on my phone...I cannot see exif.
What I may see is either the shutter speed a bit slow or harsher light.
My guess is the light.
Macro needs alot of light but diffused. Direct sunlight midday is pretty harsh.
F8-11 works well in diffused light.
Hope this helps as well.
It was a mixture of sun and cloud, so I was constantly adjusting, but I don't always take the time to look at the settings as I'm shooting. I usually go for speed priority. When I get lazy I switch to auto.

kayak

Always on
You have done well with this photo: side on composition, eye in focus and a silky background. The colour palette works very well also. If you are using natural light aim for a shutter speed of 1000, aperture F9 or narrower and ISO 800/3200. Keep practicing and bee-careful.
Thank you. I must remember to up my speed. Gone are the days of 100 and 400 asa.

kayak

Always on
Thanks, Mike. I just watched the video. I'll give aperture priority a go next time. I must get used to not keep twisting the focus ring when it's already in focus. All of my other lenses are zoom, so I'm always pulling the subject closer or pushing it away. Can't do that with a fixed lens.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
On the subject of getting stung, don’t worry too much about it. Bees on the whole are very placid here in the UK. Bumblebees very rarely sting. They will often wave their legs at you to warn you away if they are uncomfortable, especially if they are cold and cannot fly as a result. If I find a cold bee, once photographed I will often let them crawl on my hand to warm up. Sometimes I will even feed them if at home with a little sugar water. Once warm they will fly off.

There are also a couple of hundred species of solitary bee in the UK many of which do not have a stinger, nor do many of the wasp species. So far in all the times I have been photographing insects I have only ever been stung by wood ants.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
I rarely use any ISO below 800 with hand held macro for insects. There is always subtle microscopic movements with the wind.
Yes, without a flash.
And I guess it's up to what your preference and what you are looking for.
..Using a flash, I think 800 iso is too much for what I am after.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Yes, without a flash.
And I guess it's up to what your preference and what you are looking for.
..Using a flash, I think 800 iso is too much for what I am after.
I agree. If I am using flash I tend to use ISO 100-400. I hate black backgrounds in my macro work so will usually then expose for the background and use the flash for the subject. Get it right and the short burst of flash is the exposure so I can often drop to 1/60th and still have a nice sharp subject. In other situations where the background is close enough behind the subject then the flash covers both and again, I can shoot at 1/60th and up.

Natural light only is a different game.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
I agree. If I am using flash I tend to use ISO 100-400. I hate black backgrounds in my macro work so will usually then expose for the background and use the flash for the subject. Get it right and the short burst of flash is the exposure so I can often drop to 1/60th and still have a nice sharp subject. In other situations where the background is close enough behind the subject then the flash covers both and again, I can shoot at 1/60th and up.

Natural light only is a different game.
I agree. One thing is..I tried to help with the whole story...for someone like @kayak or anyone else, not to assume there is one way to go with or w/o a flash, when learning.
I stuck another couple up the top while I still had the option to edit. See what you think. I'm getting there slowly. :grin:
Improvement, indeed.!

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
I stuck another couple up the top while I still had the option to edit. See what you think. I'm getting there slowly. :grin:
Looking very nice indeed.

when I first started shootings macro many years ago in the film days my results were terrible, so much so I gave up. I cannot image how much time and money macro shooters in those days spent. Digital really opened things up to us mortals. I got hooked really quickly again when someone suggested photographing moths that got trapped in my bathroom. It was so simple to do. A little honey on a small potted plant or similar and I could persuade the moth onto the plant to feed. Move it to a bright spot and put something behind as a background. I would often use my kids blue school blouse as fake sky for instance. Using whatever lights I had such as an off camera flash or even a torch I found I could have a lot of fun. It also taught me a lot about how to pick angles that made the most of the available depth of field. Well worth giving that a go at this time of year.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Looking very nice indeed.

when I first started shootings macro many years ago in the film days my results were terrible, so much so I gave up. I cannot image how much time and money macro shooters in those days spent. Digital really opened things up to us mortals.
It’s been a game changer! In the field I am taking fewer photos when the conditions and backgrounds are to cluttered.