• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Camera Has Suddenly Stopped Triggering The Flash - any Ideas?

Rob276

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi!

My assistant was shooting with my Canon Eos 5MK3 using Godox Ad300s and Godox X1 T Transmitter, all working fine.

The batteries went on the lights so I switched her to 2 bowens heads with newer transmitters and receivers, a set up we use a lot, I could dump the flashes but I couldn't get them to fire using the camera. I switched around to different lights, and different transmitters, with no luck, so I tried my eos 5d M4 on all of the above combinations of lights and transmitters and it worked fine.

I figured that I must have suddenly damaged the hot shoe on the mk3, so I tried with a sync cable, and that didn't work either, although it worked fine when I plugged it in to the mk4

I figured I must have suddenly damaged both the hot shoe and the sync cable socket on the mk3, although would seem unlikely, but the thing has really confused me is that I switched the mk3 to A+ on the mode dial (fully automatic scene intelligent), suddenly I can fire the flashes using both hot shoe transmitters and the sync cable. Any other mode on the mode dial, P, M, app priority etc, it stops working again.

Any ideas?
Is it something in the camera settings my assistant might have changed accidently?

Thanks in advance.

Petrochemist

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
One possibility is electronic shutter.
I switched to electronic shutter on one of my cameras & for a while found it a great improvement. Then when I wanted flash it was no longer supported. Took me a while to find out why :(
A simple note in the menus where the flash options exist stateing 'unavailable with electronic shutter' would have been a great help.

Andy 0

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Sounds like petrochemist has hit the nail on the head.

The camera trigger system is ancient and I believe requires a mechanical shutter to trigger, the sync' used to be done by means of shorting the volt-free hotshoe.

Rob276

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks!

I found out the same thing the hard way with my GFX100, weird thing is I didn't know the MK3 had an option to switch between electronic shutter? And we certainly didn't intentionally toggle with it if it does.

Anyway I found an option in the camera menu to reset all the camera settings to the factory standard and that has corrected it, either way.

Thanks a lot for your help

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for bringing up this subject, Rob. My Q10 has stopped firing the flash in the elevated position but fires when it's retracted. Now I should go through my menu and check on the electronic shutter options.