• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon remote help

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The canon RC-6 infrared remote isn't much good when you are on the left or behind the camera, and my wired remote can only be used close up, so is there an infrared (or RF ) remote transmitter and receiver that will connect to the remote socket and fire the shutter (may be one that sits on the hot shoe).
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Paul

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've got a rebadged version of one of these, the handset can be used wired, wireless with the receiver connected to the port and the other nice thing is that the cables can be swapped so if you've a few different cameras it's cross compatible.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That is cool, you can use it wired or wirelessly.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That is cool, you can use it wired or wirelessly.
It doesn't seem a big thing but there are times when a wired is less mucking around than a wireless, but then the opposite being true. One thing I've not tried with mine, but given the price (though that has gone up a lot in the last few weeks) I don't think it'll be smart enough to auto-distinguish between wired and wireless, that it'd be possible to drive two cameras at the same time off the same release.

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Something as basic as the Yongnuo RF-602RX (plugs into camera and sits on hot shoe) couple with a RF-600TX transmitter ? (Mine are years old so there may be upgraded/renamed versions).

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have those exact triggers (RF-600 tx and 2 RF_602 rx) but that only fires the flash (triggers) and doesn't control the camera shutter . well not on the 80D any way

Paul

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have those exact triggers (RF-600 tx and 2 RF_602 rx) but that only fires the flash (triggers) and doesn't control the camera shutter . well not on the 80D any way
That's weird. Mine work (fires the shutter) on my 5D III and 7D MK 1, and pretty sure that I used them on my 6D MK 1 when I had it. It's a shame that Yongnuo have such a bad website, otherwise you might find compatibility listings !

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just a thought Paul @rebel06 , with your RF-602, are you using the same connector lead as me for shutter release? This one.
Only ask as I know they also come with a different one.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This is the lead I have, the connector on the right is too big to go into the remote socket on my 80D ..... so it looks like it's the wrong one, should look more like the one in your second link.... so I need to order one of those then.
lead.jpg

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I wonder if the jack socket in my second link is actually the same size as yours?
Edit: one of the reviews suggests that the one in the link is a 2.5mm jack, as opposed to his original 3.5mm one, so it might work for you.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I wonder if the jack socket in my second link is actually the same size as yours?
Edit: one of the reviews suggests that the one in the link is a 2.5mm jack, as opposed to his original 3.5mm one, so it might work for you.
Yes … the one in your 2nd link has 3 sections on the plug, and that is the same as the one on my intervalometer, so I think I have the wrong type at the moment ...
The one on the right is the one I have, and the one on the left I think is the one I need.

plugs.jpg

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The 602s fire my 450D(Rebel XSi), 6D and 5D2.
You just need the right cable . The cables should have come with them? Or at least one kind per.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The 602s fire my 450D(Rebel XSi)(Rebel XSi), 6D and 5D2.
You just need the right cable . The cables should have come with them? Or at least one kind per.
Think I bought the triggers when I had the 40D or the 70D

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It doesn't seem a big thing but there are times when a wired is less mucking around than a wireless, but then the opposite being true. One thing I've not tried with mine, but given the price (though that has gone up a lot in the last few weeks) I don't think it'll be smart enough to auto-distinguish between wired and wireless, that it'd be possible to drive two cameras at the same time off the same release.
You said you had a rebadged version, what names can this be found under? Guess what I discovered today on my remote/timer? Break in wires at the unit.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You said you had a rebadged version, what names can this be found under? Guess what I discovered today on my remote/timer? Break in wires at the unit.
Mine is branded up as a Neewer, but can't see any in stock anywhere at the moment; but the company that are behind these were right in the middle of the problems in China.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Mine is branded up as a Neewer, but can't see any in stock anywhere at the moment; but the company that are behind these were right in the middle of the problems in China.
Thanks. I will look. Often one label is less expensive than the other for the same thing.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks. I will look. Often one label is less expensive than the other for the same thing.
Often it is but at the moment it seems that there's a lot of names that usually are cheaper coming in a lot higher so a bit of patience or buying something different may work out cheaper; I'm not sure if it's just supply or because there seems to be a lot more people getting in to photography as it's a do-able thing at the moment. Noticed this a lot with tripods and heads as I'm after a new set as my every day unit is starting to feel a bit tired, and with a lot of the usually sub-100 note models there's been a hell of a lot of (usually 1 or 5 star and not a lot between) reviews written since March with that naive air of inexperience; but then as the valuations creep higher then the price is sneaking up to match (I never thought I'd see the day when it was possible to buy an equivalent Benro, Manfrotto or 3LT for less than an Amazon Basic set, but that popped last weekend).