• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Chasm Falls

Mountain Mamma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'v started going back through some of my old photos and this is one that I was never quite happy with so I tryed to reprocess it and it is coming along I think, but now I wonder if it looks over processed.

Feel free to give pointers or a full critique

( Before ) unedited ( After )
Chasm Falls ( Foum size)-6.jpg Chasm Falls ( Foum size)-5.jpg

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think the sky is over processed but I like the rest.

Paul

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes Agree with the above. The sky is kinda blotchy. The rest works well, you have brought out the shadows, and added a bit vibrancy (is there such a word?) to it. And the water looks really nice. Cool..:)

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Generally, I agree with the others - a good waterfall photo, with nice movement in the water. The sky certainly is a little overdone, and the trees and rocks look a little over sharpened, which has led to the halo around the trees. Somewhere between the two would give you a good result, I think.

Mountain Mamma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you all for the responses I will go back and adjust the sky and adjust the sharpening a bit to get rid of the halo effect around the trees. :)

I think the sky is over processed but I like the rest.
Paul
Yes Agree with the above. The sky is kinda blotchy. The rest works well, you have brought out the shadows, and added a bit vibrancy (is there such a word?) to it. And the water looks really nice. Cool..:)
Generally, I agree with the others - a good waterfall photo, with nice movement in the water. The sky certainly is a little overdone, and the trees and rocks look a little over sharpened, which has led to the halo around the trees. Somewhere between the two would give you a good result, I think.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think the 2nd is definitely over processed. I like the natural look of the 1st. The issue is the harsh light and the dark shadows. I like the blurred waterfall.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think the first is a bit better, 2nd image is a bit much.

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I prefer the original. Whilst lifting out a lot of detail is perfect a scene like this has shadows and area's that would appear black or close to. I wouldn't remove quite so much blacks or lift the detail out as much. In terms of structure and clarity - less is needed. And with saturation, easy with that slider too - particularly with greens - it's a hard colour to get right.

Lovely composition and exposure though - and getting it right in camera is vital. Rubbish in - rubbish out.

Mountain Mamma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ok I made some adjustments to the processed photo. I turned down some of the highlights and adjusted the blacks and shadows, turned down the vibrance and texture. I'm not sure if it looks any better or not I've been staring at it too long.

Edit settings are:
Exposure -9, Contrast +11, Higlights -100, Shadows +74, Whites +23, Blacks +56, Tent +15, Viberance +5, Texture +34, Clairity +6, Dehaze +55, Sharpaning 70, Noise reduction 14, color noise reduction 60.

Chasm Falls ( forum size).jpg

Last edited:

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It looks well seasoned but not over cooked!

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Tip for editing - edit - then leave a day and comes back - sometimes we overcook in the moment. A fresh pair of eyes the next day often helps. Seems a good bit better - maybe a tad less vibrance or saturation but it is now more or less in and around where it should be.

Mountain Mamma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No saturation added and only +5 on the vibrancy. Edited my last comment with the edit settings.
Tip for editing - edit - then leave a day and comes back - sometimes we overcook in the moment. A fresh pair of eyes the next day often helps. Seems a good bit better - maybe a tad less vibrance or saturation but it is now more or less in and around where it should be.

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've never been a fan of too much HDR. Just a gentle nudge of the sliders in post production in your Lightroom or other app will suffice. There was a recent phase of throwing all the sliders left and right and really spoiling a decent shot just for the sake of being trendy. It doesn't wash with me. Yours is a great shot and you have got out there to capture a good image but just a little overblown I feel which has led to the sky problem.