• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

could i have some critique of these pics

IMG_4038 (2).JPG IMG_4124 (2).JPG IMG_4098 (2).JPG IMG_4118 (2).JPG

Comments

just got back from the fjords, and I mentioned to you that I would be trying my sigma 70/300 lens out, and as you can see, I did not fair very well. I am seriously thinking of sticking to my sony, and selling this lens with the canon. its not that I give up easily, I honestly did try, the weather was not brill but I just could not get the focus,. I dwas so mad with myself, because I have had good pics from my sony, but I am afraid not this one.

Hi Lynn. I really wish you had included the EXIF with these. It's difficult to tell whether these are a matter of focus, camera movement, or some other problem. I guess to start, were you shooting from a moving boat?

No 1 is not too bad bad Lynne, as Roger says without the exif not a lot we can say, one thing were you at full focus ie. 300mm cos you are not going to get really sharp at that. But get some details and put them up here, dont give up though.

I went to the Fjords i took my 28-300 lens in some cases i wished i had taked my 16-35 . In my experience a 70-300 was too big. But if you had a specific intention of getting in close then your choice was correct . But my thoughts were more landscape. Hence the wide end of my walk about 28-300 lens.
The first one. Too much dark shadows.
The other three you did not get a very good light. Thats nature for you. I think you did the best you could in the situation you had.

#pic 1 1/160sec F/7.1 ISO 100 @ 70MM
#pic 2 1/25sec F/8 ISO 100 @ 70MM
#pic 3 1/60sec F/4,5 ISO 100 @ 76MM
#pic4 1/10sec F/8 ISO 100 @ 70MM
here are the settings guys, a bit all over the place, and I was on a moving ship!!!! thanks for your replys.

here are the settings guys, a bit all over the place, and I was on a moving ship!!!! thanks for your replys.
The shutter speeds are far too low for that length lens. The problem also being shooting at ISO 100, upping the ISO would give you a faster shutter speed. You say the weather was not brill, so don't use ISO 100, an ISO a lot higher, minimum of 400 in dull light/weather

Crop most of the water off and the third is okay, looks reasonably sharp. Unfortunately the rest are suffering from camera shake as said.

The shutter speeds are far too low for that length lens. The problem also being shooting at ISO 100, upping the ISO would give you a faster shutter speed. You say the weather was not brill, so don't use ISO 100, an ISO a lot higher, minimum of 400 in dull light/weather
also, may I ask one more question?. the other thing I have with this lens, is when I am focusing with the lens,( I hope I can explain myself right) when I am adjusting the zoom, there is very, very little adjustment between focus and blur, if you can under stand what I mean. I try to focus bot there is only about a fraction before it blurs.

Rule of thumb in handheld situation is the shutter speed should be faster than 1/focal_length. In practice it should be much faster than this. In your case it should be faster than 1/70sec. Only #pic 1 qualifies this. Increasing the ISO will get you there. Check also if your lens has image stabilization.

Last edited:
also, may I ask one more question?. the other thing I have with this lens, is when I am focusing with the lens,( I hope I can explain myself right) when I am adjusting the zoom, there is very, very little adjustment between focus and blur, if you can under stand what I mean. I try to focus bot there is only about a fraction before it blurs.
I din't quite get what you meant by focusing with the lens when adjusting the zoom.
This can be because you are dealing with a moving target (relatively speaking), my best guess.

Last edited:

its best to have the ISO much higher when handheld. ISO100 will only really work when using a tripod.

Camera shake or not I like the composition in number 2. I think cropping the water off of the bottom would help it. Although as others have said, shooting with a higher ISO and shutter speed would have improved everything.

Are you still shooting in manual mode Lynn ..... if so I think you need to go back to using av mode and auto iso .... the camera will then set the shutter speed for you and should select a speed that will help stop camera shake .... e.g your pic #4 was taken at 1/10 sec ... i think any member on here would struggle to keep that one sharp with a lens that does not have stabilisation.
Wish we lived closer I would love to help you with this.
May be try and find a camera club close to you.

Paul

..............................................................May be try and find a camera club close to you.

Paul
Never a truer word was written. There is no substitute for a good camera club, you can watch all the youtube videos you like, until you have someone next to you that can answer your specific questions and address any issues you're having, you're wasting your time.
Sorry if I sound harsh, but I found out from personal experience how much I gained from joining a camera club.

I think Lynn needs to meet up with someone who can take a look at her settings and her technique in taking the shots .... I know my wife "Stabs" the shutter button causing shake instead of gently pressing it.... also there is a number of people that dip their hands when taking the shot
The combination of her camera and lens should produce much better shots.

thankyou all for your replys. I must say, I feel truly embarrassed now, knowing that I HAVE taken some good shots a while back. I will look and see if there is a camera club nearby. the photos I took with my SONY are better than with the canon, plus zoom lens.!!

thankyou all for your replys. I must say, I feel truly embarrassed now, knowing that I HAVE taken some good shots a while back. I will look and see if there is a camera club nearby. the photos I took with my SONY are better than with the canon, plus zoom lens.!!
You might think it's a backward step but put the camera on Auto and take some shots at different zoom levels .... probably better to put the camera on tripod or rest on a rock or post and use the 2 second timer to guarantee there is no movement.

Paul

the photos I took with my SONY are better than with the canon, plus zoom lens.!!
Yes, your problem is jumping int Manual right off the start. Pay attention to what the camera tells you in Auto or Shutter priority, or even "P". You can read the settings where the camera decided was best and learn from there.

Lynn, I share anyone's frustration when shots do not come out as one would hope. However I get some pleasure, if not some relief, if I can get some improvements by photo-processing, which is a skill worth developing.
I have had a play around with your first one.
IMG_4038_(3).jpg

My viewpoint is slightly different on the compositions above. They're not the best but they are definitely not the worst I've seen. I've taken much worse.

What I like about these is the sky is fairly insignificant and the emphasis is on the vast fjords which is how I imagine they look. The last is rather bland for my taste and I expect looked much more impressive to the eye but I can see why you took it. I've had a play to make it look more abstract. A crazy, arty moment if you like and you don't have to admire what I've done. :)

I'm a great believer in if you like the look of a scene, photograph it and if you don't like it move on. I had a morning's walk around a local town with my camera and most photographs were taken because I liked the scene.

Rocks.jpg

Moving on, my suggestion is it's probably best if you can change the main setting to aperture priority instead of using manual. Others have said this on numerous occasions and I promise you, it does work. I know I've said it a couple of times and most of the photographs I take use this technique. I do use manual but very infrequently and usually only for specific projects in artificial light.

After that you need to decide if you want everything in focus, narrow aperture about f/11 or a subject in focus with a blurred background something like a flower where you need the wide aperture or about f/4. When you change the aperture in aperture priority, the shutter speed automatically works itself out to give you the correct exposure. You need ISO 100-200 for a sunny/bright day and ISO 400-800 for dark/overcast.

Keep it simple for the next few batches of photographs and keep the camera still, squeezing the shutter button slowly as opposed to snapping quickly. Have the sun from coming behind you/over your shoulder if possible and you will see good, progressive improvement. Once you start to get more consistently sharp and clear photographs it gives you more confidence. It's a great hobby!

Summary - keep it simple :) - change to aperture priority, change ISO depending on weather/light then change aperture to f/11 for everything in focus or f/4 for just the subject in focus.

All of these breach the shutter speed 1/focal length rule bar one

You can get sharp shots from a long lens even on a boat or hand holding but the shutter speed should be faster than 1/focal length. Anything slower than 1/focal length requires a tripod/cable release and/or self timer or a large degree of luck.

for pic 2 you'd want to be faster if not faster than 1/70th
for pic 3you'd want to be faster if not faster than 1/76th
for pic 4 you'd want to be faster than 1/70th

You'd have therefore needed to go 1/80th or faster to nail it down - on a high res camera I might even say 1/2x focal length to be very sure.

ISO or F stop would be adjusted to get shutter speed within these paramaters. That said you'd also need to nail down the focus.

Compositiion wise one and three are the best - but you'd want to crop some of the bottom off 3 making a wider aspect (say 16:9) or something

Last edited:
My viewpoint is slightly different on the compositions above. They're not the best but they are definitely not the worst I've seen. I've taken much worse.

What I like about these is the sky is fairly insignificant and the emphasis is on the vast fjords which is how I imagine they look. The last is rather bland for my taste and I expect looked much more impressive to the eye but I can see why you took it. I've had a play to make it look more abstract. A crazy, arty moment if you like and you don't have to admire what I've done. :)

I'm a great believer in if you like the look of a scene, photograph it and if you don't like it move on. I had a morning's walk around a local town with my camera and most photographs were taken because I liked the scene.

View attachment 303910

Moving on, my suggestion is it's probably best if you can change the main setting to aperture priority instead of using manual. Others have said this on numerous occasions and I promise you, it does work. I know I've said it a couple of times and most of the photographs I take use this technique. I do use manual but very infrequently and usually only for specific projects in artificial light.

After that you need to decide if you want everything in focus, narrow aperture about f/11 or a subject in focus with a blurred background something like a flower where you need the wide aperture or about f/4. When you change the aperture in aperture priority, the shutter speed automatically works itself out to give you the correct exposure. You need ISO 100-200 for a sunny/bright day and ISO 400-800 for dark/overcast.

Keep it simple for the next few batches of photographs and keep the camera still, squeezing the shutter button slowly as opposed to snapping quickly. Have the sun from coming behind you/over your shoulder if possible and you will see good, progressive improvement. Once you start to get more consistently sharp and clear photographs it gives you more confidence. It's a great hobby!

Summary - keep it simple :) - change to aperture priority, change ISO depending on weather/light then change aperture to f/11 for everything in focus or f/4 for just the subject in focus.
thanks snips. what is so frustrating, is that I have taken some really good photos in the past, some of which I have hung on the wall, so I can not get my head around whats happening. I really got angry with myself on the ship, and yes, its my fault, but so upsetting too, because I seem to be going backword
I was going to pack it all in, but I do love the hobby, so I will try again, and heres thanking you all so much for your honesty and kindness.