• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

could i have some critique of these pics

Snips

Always on
thanks snips. what is so frustrating, is that I have taken some really good photos in the past, some of which I have hung on the wall, so I can not get my head around whats happening. I really got angry with myself on the ship, and yes, its my fault, but so upsetting too, because I seem to be going backword
I was going to pack it all in, but I do love the hobby, so I will try again, and heres thanking you all so much for your honesty and kindness.
Thank you and it's my/our pleasure. Photography can be frustrating (we were all beginners once!) Please, please do try this aperture priority lark and look at the last, short paragraph I wrote for your first settings - it's the basics of photography and I promise you it works a treat in most situations. Get the first small steps right and the rest will fall into place in due course :)

(Going the manual route is like running before you can walk and once you go down the aperture priority route you'll probably stick to it for most photography in any case.)

Aperture priority - f/11 for all in focus, f/4 to focus on the subject and blur the background and hope you get the ISO correct - as I said above, keep it simple :)

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
Thank you and it's my/our pleasure. Photography can be frustrating (we were all beginners once!) Please, please do try this aperture priority lark and look at the last, short paragraph I wrote for your first settings - it's the basics of photography and I promise you it works a treat in most situations. Get the first small steps right and the rest will fall into place in due course :)

(Going the manual route is like running before you can walk and once you go down the aperture priority route you'll probably stick to it for most photography in any case.)

Aperture priority - f/11 for all in focus, f/4 to focus on the subject and blur the background and hope you get the ISO correct - as I said above, keep it simple :)
thankyou, and I will do as you have suggested. I will keep you informed at a later date.

Paul Mitchell

Sorry I got to the party late Lynn, but I too had a go at your first photo. I didnt even see the waterfall in the shadows. I took your photo and made a copy. I bumped up the exposure to bring out the details in the shadow areas only. Then I took the two pics and put them through Photomatix. After that it was just a bit of tweaking in Photoshop.

PhotoFinalFix.jpg

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
hope you
Sorry I got to the party late Lynn, but I too had a go at your first photo. I didnt even see the waterfall in the shadows. I took your photo and made a copy. I bumped up the exposure to bring out the details in the shadow areas only. Then I took the two pics and put them through Photomatix. After that it was just a bit of tweaking in Photoshop.

View attachment 303957
hi paul. I did not mess about with them, may have enchanced them a bit. I have been out in the garden, trying APERTURE PRIORTY. I will put them on once I have resized them. I am going to say something about edited pics, and please do not take offence, there is none intended. you and the other guys are far, far more professional, what I see, is not the picture I saw thro my lens, in other words the river was not blue and it was a very misty dull day. in other words its not the actual picture. I look at other pictures on here, and there is some WOW ones, some that as been edited. I understand sometimes one as to tweak here and there, but sometimes I see some that as been #touched up too much. maybe its just me and I know I have hell of a lot to learn yet, but I do enjoy taking pics, and also get mad at myself when it does not go right, so, paul rant over!!!!!! hope you are not offened. lynn

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
This may be closer to the image you saw, but if you look at your original there is a blue cast to it.... and remember the camera doesn't capture the image we see with our own eyes, the dynamic range of a camera sensor does not show the range our eyes have.
P1.jpg

Paul Mitchell

Not offended at all Lynne. But keep in mind, until the camera can meet the dynamic range of the human eye, no photo will ever be as we saw it, using our memory from weeks or months ago. Even when you were there you didnt see the whole photo area at the same time. Your eye either saw the brightest or the darkest, separately. I bet you saw more detail in the shadows than I even brought out. This view was a good candidate for HDR imaging. I find photography is a bit of work (sometimes a lot of work), but its something you should like to do. Simply clicking the button isnt usually enough and, in my opinion, every photo needs some kind of fixing. Every situation has to be analyzed and handled in the way that best produces an image as close to what you experienced. You said it was a hazy day when you were there. Had you used a haze filter you would have reduced the haze as well as the blue tone you got from it. Then the question is, how much camera gear do you carry around and still enjoy yourself?

kayak

Always on
When I switch to my long lens I try to remember to bump the ISO up. I normally set it to auto with 800 as the max, though I have gone much higher than that, even into the thousands and still got an ok shot.
Grain is better than blur.
Having said that, I think grain in the sky is annoying, so shoot daylight sky on 100 ISO. Shoot the rocks with higher ISO and make one photo from it.
I actually keep a file just with sky shots so I don't have to worry too much when I shoot anything.
Something like Photoshop is a must and I wouldn't be without it. It opens up a whole new world in photography.

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
many thanks for your replys. I still have a lot to learn!!!! bet you guys think I am a nuicance. to be honest, I do not think I will get this long lens ( sigma 70/300) I want to explain why, but I do not know how. its to do with focusing. I will try. say I zoom to a shot at 300. I try and focus, but when I turn the focus ring, there is very little turn to get a sharp pic, I think I must be going wrong somewhere. I really think I will stick to my sony, and sell this canon.

kayak

Always on
My zoom lens has a switch on it for manual or auto focus. It's not a Sigma though, mine is Nikon. I use auto focus most of the time.

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
My zoom lens has a switch on it for manual or auto focus. It's not a Sigma though, mine is Nikon. I use auto focus most of the time.
hi, I will have a go at auto focus and see what happens. I think I am being a bit impatient with this camera. so used to my sony, bt we recently moved house, and to be honest I have not had much play time with it.

kayak

Always on
Just had a quick look at some Sigma 70/300 lenses on Amazon. They show a switch on the lens for Normal and Macro. You probably know that already but just thought I'd mention it.

Don't give up on it just yet, Lynn. Given the choice of Sony or Canon, I'd pick the Canon. It gives you a huge choice of lenses. If you join a camera club you'll find loads of people with a Canon who can help you. Sigma is a good make of lens too.
Jessops staff are usually pretty good if you need help.

Last edited by a moderator:

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
Don't give up on it just yet, Lynn. Given the choice of Sony or Canon, I'd pick the Canon. It gives you a huge choice of lenses. If you join a camera club you'll find loads of people with a Canon who can help you. Sigma is a good make of lens too.
Jessops staff are usually pretty good if you need help.
thanks for that kayak, very kind of you. yeah I think I need someone to actually SHOW me. I get mad at myself!!!!thanks again.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
Lynn when you say you zoom into 300mm and try to adjust, you turn the focus ring ... why are you touching the focus ring ... the camera will set the focus when you half press the shutter button ... it appears you are trying to take control of ALL the functions of the camera as you say you were using Manual settings.
Ok remember Av setting (set your aperture at say f8) .. auto iso ... auto focus (one shot) ... zoom to what ever you like and half press the shutter, look at reading in your viewfinder and make sure the shutter speed is above 1/300 ... take the shot.
Did you have any luck finding a camera club or someone local that can take a look at your settings and technique ???

Paul

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
Lynn when you say you zoom into 300mm and try to adjust, you turn the focus ring ... why are you touching the focus ring ... the camera will set the focus when you half press the shutter button ... it appears you are trying to take control of ALL the functions of the camera as you say you were using Manual settings.
Ok remember Av setting (set your aperture at say f8) .. auto iso ... auto focus (one shot) ... zoom to what ever you like and half press the shutter, look at reading in your viewfinder and make sure the shutter speed is above 1/300 ... take the shot.
Did you have any luck finding a camera club or someone local that can take a look at your settings and technique ???

Paul
hi paul
thanks.rsz_1img_4240.jpg rsz_img_4234.jpg rsz_img_4237.jpg for that. I will try what you have said. I have had a play around with it in my conservatory, see what you think, these were on manual. thanks gailldew for that information, had a quick read, and I have saved it in my downloads/

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
the chair settings were...……..1/60 f/5.6......300mm iso 800
the pheasants were...………...1/250 f/5.6.....238mm....iso 1600
tomatos were,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1.100 f/4.5 70mm iso 800

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
Ok Lynn
Chair settings 1/60s @300mm when we have all told you that your shutter speed needs to be faster than your zoom .. .e.g 300mm zoom shutter at least 1/300 sec ... you do appear to have problems understanding this.
Pheasants 1/250 sec @ 238mm zoom .. ok this is just good enough.
Tomatoes 1/100 sec @ 70mm ... this is good.
All iso setting were fine
But my main question is Why are you still using manual exposure ???? .... we have all suggested you use Av mode ....

Paul

Snips

Always on
But my main question is Why are you still using manual exposure ???? .... we have all suggested you use Av mode ....
Lynn - related to Paul's question above, are you using manual focus or M on the wheel for manual settings?

Snips

Always on
The exif Edward shows Manual Exposure.!!
Ah!! LOL :) I never look at exif these days - with a Mac it's not so easy as Windows and Explorer.

Lynn - I photograph for a living, as do other photographers I work with. We ALL, without exception, photograph with Aperture Priority because the "hit" rate is so much more successful than with manual. We can all photograph in manual mode but we prefer to use Aperture Priority because that's how cameras work at their best. Where we differ is how we apply the settings to ISO and one or two other things but Aperture Priority is the first setting we use. As I said earlier, working with manual before learning with aperture priority is like running before you can walk. Automatic is not the way to go if you want to progress either, hence our suggestion to work in Aperture Priority.

I cannot emphasise enough how we all recommend this setting :)

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
Ok Lynn
Chair settings 1/60s @300mm when we have all told you that your shutter speed needs to be faster than your zoom .. .e.g 300mm zoom shutter at least 1/300 sec ... you do appear to have problems understanding this.
Pheasants 1/250 sec @ 238mm zoom .. ok this is just good enough.
Tomatoes 1/100 sec @ 70mm ... this is good.
All iso setting were fine

Paul
hi. I have taking some in av but I have not yet resized them.
Lynn - related to Paul's question above, are you using manual focus or M on the wheel for manual settings?
manual on the wheel. going to try again tomorrow.

Snips

Always on
manual on the wheel. going to try again tomorrow.
Please, PLEASE change it to A (or Av) - we need our sanity back!!! Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 037Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 037Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 037

If nothing else, just to see what the results are like :) We really do want to help you get over this sticky hurdle and know that you can.

The weather looks better tomorrow so hopefully you'll have some more things to take outside where the light is better.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
Get off manual Lynn ..... set the wheel to Av mode ....
Also you have not answered the question about the focus ring .... why are you turning the wheel the camera will set the focus for you unless you have the switch on the lens in mf position .....
Paul

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
Get off manual Lynn ..... set the wheel to Av mode ....
Also you have not answered the question about the focus ring .... why are you turning the wheel the camera will set the focus for you unless you have the switch on the lens in mf position .....
Paul
PROMISE!!!!! I will put it on AV mode. I just thought I had to turn the focus ring, you all have been very patient with me, and I am not going to bother you again with any more questions, to say I did quite well with the sony, I have gone backwards with the canon and lens!!!!!once I have taken some pics and resized them I will put them on. I really truly feel embarrassed.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
As you may know I had this same lens and i=used it for over 2 years with some great results ... If I remember right you bought this from MPB and their rating was good so I believe this lens will give you great results once you have mastered it ..... and No you do not need to touch the focus ring the camera will focus it for you (as long as you dont have the switch thats on the lens in the m position, check it now it's got to be in the af position).
Here is a vid for this lens. .....
Oh... and don't worry about asking questions, we love to help and give advice on here
Paul