• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

could i have some critique of these pics

IMG_4038 (2).JPG IMG_4124 (2).JPG IMG_4098 (2).JPG IMG_4118 (2).JPG

Comments

and I am not going to bother you again with any more questions
I'm going to come clean here - if you do as we suggest (Av mode, etc) we will definitely help no matter how basic the questions are. I really mean that. We were all beginners once and we all have our stumbling blocks. If you continue in Manual though, for example, many of us will give up trying to help.

Please feel free to ask questions but please, please try some of our suggestions - for most of us, the techniques work and there's no reason why these techniques shouldn't work for you too which is why we're recommending you try them too :)

Another point, that I don't think has been mentioned, is that when using autofocus it is best to select a single focus point rather than let the camera decide what it wants to focus on.

This link shows how to set the centre focus point on the T5i but I think it will be the same on your camera.

As you may know I had this same lens and i=used it for over 2 years with some great results ... If I remember right you bought this from MPB and their rating was good so I believe this lens will give you great results once you have mastered it ..... and No you do not need to touch the focus ring the camera will focus it for you (as long as you dont have the switch thats on the lens in the m position, check it now it's got to be in the af position).
Here is a vid for this lens. .....
Oh... and don't worry about asking questions, we love to help and give advice on here
Paul[/QU
Another point, that I don't think has been mentioned, is that when using autofocus it is best to select a single focus point rather than let the camera decide what it wants to focus on.

This link shows how to set the centre focus point on the T5i but I think it will be the same on your camera.

yes I have selected centre focus point and my camera is now in AV. I shall try again tomorrow.

Hi Lynn, this post seems to be going round in circles. Everyone seems to be offering pretty much the same advice, and you seem to be bent on staying in manual mode, including focus. I cannot emphasise the importance of 1 on 1 instruction to help improve your photographic techniques. To this end I did a (very) quick google search of camera clubs in North Yorkshire and came up with this. I realise that I am in Australia and have no idea how far you may live from any of these clubs, but I was going on your bio that said you live in North Yorkshire. Please, take the time to check out at least a couple of clubs in your area, you will not regret it.

Last edited:
Lynn. You probably feel you've heard enough now. It's never easy when you switch from one brand of camera to another, the whole menu is different on the camera body. Add to that a new zoom lens and it doubles the problem. You will master it though, so stick with it. The basics are always the same.
If there's a camera club near where you live I'll say join it. Most clubs let you attend for a few weeks before you have to join as a member. You'll find that a lot of people will have Canon cameras and Sigma lenses. You can enter club competitions. One judge might give you a 20, another will give you 16, for the same photo, who cares? It's just a bit of fun. It's a great feeling though, when your club picks one of your shots to put forward against another club, or into an area contest where it's up against another 300 or so other shots of high quality. It's all subjective, so just enjoy it.
We've all had times when we've wanted to throw our equipment at the wall, I'm sure. Once someone shows you where you're going wrong, you'll go :doh: and it'll all fall into place. :)

Hi Lynn, just to add that I can only agree with everyone else regarding Av the only thing I will add looking at the last ones at 300mm the picture will be softer so just back off from the full 300mm it wont make that much difference in distance. Dont give up lass.:thumbsup:

well, here I am again!!!!, have had the camera on AV TODAY, and taken these few snaps. I had my sigma lens 70/300 on.rsz_img_4296.jpg rsz_img_4295.jpg rsz_img_4281.jpg rsz_img_4282.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
first pic of stones, (sorry I have not got anything more interesting.) they were in the back garden (under construction).
exif…...1/25 f/22 76mm iso 800
second pic
exif 1/100 f/4 76mm iso 125
first pic of rabbit
exif 1/160 f/5.6 300mm iso 800
second pic
exif 1/250 f/5.6 214mm iso 800

all been taken with AV settings

ref the camera clubs in north Yorkshire, well I am afraid we do not live there anymore. we have recently moved back to south Yorkshire, but I have found a couple of clubs, not far from me. once my head is sorted, what with moving and doing the bungalow up, I will be sorting one out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeehaa!! Av!!! :)

Okay, composition can be improved but with the first, despite being 1/25 sec (far too slow shutter speed) can you see how that's improved?!

2nd one is sort of ditto but from your settings the 1/100 is faster than 76mm so that's why it's beginning to work.

The 3rd, 1/160 sec is slower than the 1/300 it should have been (e.g. 1/500 sec) and that's why it's blurred.

Last one, the best, is taken with a decent shutter speed of 1/250 sec - you can get away with 1/250 sec at 300mm especially if you hold the camera still as you've done in this one.

I'm sure you'll agree, not the most interesting of photographs but - please don't shoot me ...!!! - Alleluia!!!!!!! Working in Aperture Priority is beginning to working well for you :D I did promise! :)

You had some stick from your last post (from me too) and I was really hoping you'd return - good for you that you did (hopefully not sounding too patronising). I remember my first few posts on the forum years ago as a beginner didn't go well with me! Sad face :( and a giggle :D

You're on the way now and if you want to go back to manual we'll help you :) Just stick to Av for the moment and we'll take you to the next step - what an improvement (not meant to be patronising but encouraging) here!!! My personal aim was just to get you over this initial hurdle and by changing to Av you've proved it and done it :)

Congratulations Lynn, that last one is very good. You can see the difference 1/250 made to the sharpness. Others have been suggesting that you set your camera to AV mode, but as you can see this does not always work, as shown when you had the AV set to f22 the shutter had to slow right down to 1/25, at 70mm that is too slow. My suggestion would be to set your camera to TV and 1/500, that way you will always have a decent shutter speed no matter what focal length you have the lens set at. Leave your camera at this setting until you have gained enough confidence in yourself to venture out to other settings.
Just for the record I am a Canon shooter and use nothing but Sigma lenses, I find it a great combination. Like you I had some issues with my new Sigma lens 150-600, and they were pretty much the same as yours, shutter speed. The members here were very helpful at sorting things out for me
Have a look here https://www.photography-forum.org/threads/i-took-the-new-lens-out-for-a-test-drive.153980/

My suggestion would be to set your camera to TV
Beat me to it. I was thinking the same but perhaps rather than a single shutter speed of 1/500 go for 1.5 x focal length up to 200mm and approximately double over that.
So 70mm = approximately 1/100, 100mm = 1/150, 200 = 1/400 and 275-300 = 1/500

Just a thought, Lynn. Make sure you stand well back from the subject when you've got your zoom lens on. My zoom doesn't focus if I stand nearer than about 4 or 5 feet.

Last edited:
F22 is too high Lynn, its way outside the lens sweet spot usually its around f8/f11 which ideally you should stick to until you have a better idea on the three, iso speed and aperture, BTW guys what is Pattern in metering mode being a NIKON man. lol. Is it like matrix as it doesn't seem like center spot as Paul recommended.

I think pattern is Evaluative metering (matrix on Nikon?). I didn't see any suggestion to use spot metering but Lynn was advised to use centre spot focussing when using auto focus.

hi guys
well thanks for all your comments. I am still on AV been and got a few more this aft, but no got them rezised yet. I know the pics were not very interesting!!!!!! I am not upset with all your comments, you are all speaking the truth, I do not possess to know all the ins and out of photography, that's why I like to chat to you all, but I have also a canon book, that I am reading, and I watched a video that either snips, or gaelldew put on for me.so many thanks once again.

This is a useful site for resizing photographs quickly: PicResize

If it's sunny in the next day or two (hopefully weather forecast is promising) if you set the ISO to 200, ensure Aperture priority is chosen the only other thing you have to do is decide whether you want to isolate the subject and blur the background (f/4) or have everything in focus (f/11). This simple setting should give you the correct shutter speed in sunshine and all your thinking should then be about the photograph you're taking and not worrying about camera settings.

I think it was Gareth that suggested the video - must admit I've not seen it.

Don't give up :) ... here's a true recent story. As you know I work with other photographers. One girl started last year and was progressing quite well but a couple of months ago most photographs she produced on one particular day were out of focus. She's paid so words were said, suggestions made and so on. Poor thing was in tears with embarrassment, wanting to quit and so on.

We took her camera, changed it to Aperture Priority lol :grin:, widest aperture, checked the settings for the ISO and next time - WOW, what a difference. And now, just 2-3 more days experience, she's a really valued photographer and the best thing about it is ... she's loving it!!

You've had to deal with some difficult comments recently, from me included, so I'm just relating this story to try and give you a boost in confidence :)

This is a useful site for resizing photographs quickly: PicResize

If it's sunny in the next day or two (hopefully weather forecast is promising) if you set the ISO to 200, ensure Aperture priority is chosen the only other thing you have to do is decide whether you want to isolate the subject and blur the background (f/4) or have everything in focus (f/11). This simple setting should give you the correct shutter speed in sunshine and all your thinking should then be about the photograph you're taking and not worrying about camera settings.

I think it was Gareth that suggested the video - must admit I've not seen it.

Don't give up :) ... here's a true recent story. As you know I work with other photographers. One girl started last year and was progressing quite well but a couple of months ago most photographs she produced on one particular day were out of focus. She's paid so words were said, suggestions made and so on. Poor thing was in tears with embarrassment, wanting to quit and so on.

We took her camera, changed it to Aperture Priority lol :grin:, widest aperture, checked the settings for the ISO and next time - WOW, what a difference. And now, just 2-3 more days experience, she's a really valued photographer and the best thing about it is ... she's loving it!!

You've had to deal with some difficult comments recently, from me included, so I'm just relating this story to try and give you a boost in confidence :)[/Quote
I do use picrsize snips. yes I have had comments that as hurt a little, I will not deny, and yes, I wont lie, I did feel like packing it in, but I am not, I will leave the AV setting on and keep on practising. truth does hurt sometimes, and I AM thankfull for all your patience. I have written down your comment above on a bit of paper, then when I go out with the camera, I wont forget!!!!.

I do use picresize snips. yes I have had comments that as hurt a little, I will not deny, and yes, I wont lie, I did feel like packing it in, but I am not, I will leave the AV setting on and keep on practising. truth does hurt sometimes, and I AM thankfull for all your patience. I have written down your comment above on a bit of paper, then when I go out with the camera, I wont forget!!!!.
I and other new members been there and wanting to chuck it all in too from some comments we've received when learning. The trouble with internet forums is you can't see the face behind the comment (usually kind) and sometimes a post just reads wrong!!

What I can guarantee and promise you though is that we're all trying to help. (The Moderators will very quickly intervene if someone's being too rude or obnoxious!)

Anyway, enough of all that - out with the camera again soon. There's nothing better than practising :)

As an aside, I'm going to Newcastle on Monday (meeting in the evening) but hoping to be there for mid afternoon to photograph for an hour or two around Quayside depending on the weather. On Tuesday I'm planning to be at St Mary's lighthouse for 1pm to plan for a shot soon before high tide. I'll then drive to Seaton Sluice and see what happens. Might be interesting with a high tide but might not be.

I'm not the best photographer at all but if you want to join me (I believe you don't live too far away) please shout - my number is 07792 562873. @borofan - might you be interested too in meeting up? Would be great to see you too :)

I and other new members been there and wanting to chuck it all in too from some comments we've received when learning. The trouble with internet forums is you can't see the face behind the comment (usually kind) and sometimes a post just reads wrong!!

What I can guarantee and promise you though is that we're all trying to help. (The Moderators will very quickly intervene if someone's being too rude or obnoxious!)

Anyway, enough of all that - out with the camera again soon. There's nothing better than practising :)

As an aside, I'm going to Newcastle on Monday (meeting in the evening) but hoping to be there for mid afternoon to photograph for an hour or two around Quayside depending on the weather. On Tuesday I'm planning to be at St Mary's lighthouse for 1pm to plan for a shot soon before high tide. I'll then drive to Seaton Sluice and see what happens. Might be interesting with a high tide but might not be.

I'm not the best photographer at all but if you want to join me (I believe you don't live too far away) please shout - my number is 07792 562873. @borofan - might you be interested too in meeting up? Would be great to see you too :)[/QUOTEyou sound very busy.i would love to go on a camera outing, get together, but we are still quite busy with the move, well we have moved, but got carpet fitters etc, and a hundred things to do!!!! but thanks anyhow, its very kind. hope you have a good week.

Thanks, Snips. Now we all have your mobile number. I'll ring you about 3am so you don't oversleep on Monday, lol. Just kidding. :crazy:Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 066

ps. If someone should ring your mobile at 3am please don't assume it's me just because of that.

Thanks, Snips. Now we all have your mobile number. I'll ring you about 3am so you don't oversleep on Monday, lol. Just kidding. :crazy:Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 066

ps. If someone should ring your mobile at 3am please don't assume it's me just because of that.
LOL - the number is on my website and only one person has contacted me at an odd time of day (last year at around 2:40am to ask if their photographs were going to be uploaded soon - my bedtime that day was 3am when I'd finished uploading everything!)

Anyway, I turn my phone off at about 10:30 most nights :)

[Edit] PS - I trust the members on this forum!

LOL - the number is on my website and only one person has contacted me at an odd time of day (last year at around 2:40am to ask if their photographs were going to be uploaded soon - my bedtime that day was 3am when I'd finished uploading everything!)

Anyway, I turn my phone off at about 10:30 most nights :)

[Edit] PS - I trust the members on this forum!
You'll be on everyones WhatsApp list now, or maybe SnipChat. :grin:

@Snips sounds like a good idea. I may need to change something but if possible I will be there. I will contact you a little later to agree details.

I've come to the discussion very late - I've been looking at the shots and trying to think what I would do different, and the answer is already up above, by several people: shutter speed, aperture, and ISO! The compositions are OK, and I do like Snips' version of the last in mono - works very well. There comes a time when you just cannot get things to work, and you then either give up in frustration, or take a step back and get advice, which you've done. The trick is now to go out and pick an area easily accessible to you, so you can go back time and again, and take shots you can compare to each other. Don't give up. We all take pictures which, in our minds eye, will look fantastic, yet when we get them home they are hideous (well, I do...). If you've not done so, get on a course locally with a landscape photographer who will go through the basics and show you how to get the best from your camera - 1:1 would be best, but may be more expensive. Camera club is also a great idea, and I know I've had great benefits with the quality of my photographs as a result of some constructive judging (...but camera club judges are another story....:mad:)
Whatever, keep posting!