• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Female Photographers in New York.

Thegassman

Good afternoon fellow photographers I have a question that I hope someone can help with,
My daughter is about to start "A level" photography here in sunny Yorkshire but really wants to go to New York (why she wants to leave Yorkshire is beyond me) and is looking for names of Female photographers who live in New York to be able to contact for advice.
Thanks for all your help,
Andy.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
That's a tough one. Finding self-identified female photographers in New York City (NYC) is not straight forward. There are a lot of female photographers that work and show in NYC, but they live and work outside of the city.

It's not as though there's a Facebook page for female photographers in New York City. Wait, there is one for Black Female Photographers of NYC https://www.facebook.com/blackfemalephotogsNYC/ - maybe it's not as difficult as I thought.

There are hundreds of female photographers in NYC ranging from wedding photography to photo journalism to fine art. Your daughter should consider narrowing the her focus. The following were mentioned in articles on New York women photographers in the past year - Delphine Diallo (delphinediallo.com), Lucy Helena (lucyhelenaphotography.com), Nan Goldin (www.artsy.net/artist/nan-goldin), Kat Harris (www.katharrisweddings.com), Julie Skarrat (www.julieskarratt.com).

You might contact the photography curator for the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), they do a lot of photo exhibitions. Email their Photography Study Center and enquire about local female photographers (psc@moma.org). Ask for a contact for a curator of photography. There are several more museums in NYC that have curators of photography.

Of course there is the most famous NYC photographer, Annie Leibovitz. I don't have a clue how to contact her but she does have an Instagram account (@_annieleibovitz).