• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

First Ever Family Geocache outing.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cold and misty start to the day but thoroughly enjoyed even if I didn't find a single one of them, good job we took the girls.
_MG_2400.jpg
_MG_2401.jpg
_MG_2402.jpg
_MG_2406.jpg
_MG_2409.jpg
_MG_2410.jpg
_MG_2414.jpg
_MG_2415.jpg
_MG_2419.jpg

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great set of images, Paul. Geocaching is all about family and time spent out of doors so I'm glad the young'uns took to it so well.
This set is actually kicking me to get out and do some more hunting in the area I just moved to.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Roger, enjoyed it so much I think just me and mrs Rebel will go out again tomorrow as we have loads of caches very local to us here in Shropshire. I might even get to find one myself.

-Oy-

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Good stuff - used to do it when it was hard - before smartphones!

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great set, Paul. You not only captured the events, but also with a mysterious mood fittingly.
If the girls don't cherish them now, they will.

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Fabulous images especially the misty ones. Great job.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great set and cool you are caching too. My mate who got me into it called it treasure hunting with his boys.
You will discover that you have walked past dozens of them in your locale without even realising it.
What gps are you using?
If you want me to run a pocket query for you, let me know. It's a search that will get you every cache around an area in one hit, which I then put into my garmin gps (which is not online capable)

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great set and cool you are caching too. My mate who got me into it called it treasure hunting with his boys.
You will discover that you have walked past dozens of them in your locale without even realising it.
What gps are you using?
If you want me to run a pocket query for you, let me know. It's a search that will get you every cache around an area in one hit, which I then put into my garmin gps (which is not online capable)
I'm using a Geocaching.com ap on my phone. ... it shows me caches anywhere I want to see , then once in that area you follow the ap that gives you distance to the cache and a clue if you want one, today we did one around Kemberton (less than a mile from my house), and we found 10 of the 15 caches.
Would using a gps unit make it better?

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Would using a gps unit make it better?
A good gps tends to be more accurate tho can still wander if trees and buildings are around you. Plus you don't always know the accuracy of the gps the hider used.
If you are casually doing it probably worth just using the app as it is a simpler method.
Batteries tend to last longer on a gps.
For me it's a no brainer as I use the gps for the mountains also. I have os map of whole UK in it and it works where there is no phone signal. When I'm planning a trip away I'll load all the caches in the area(s) I'm visiting, then if any appear on our routes we'll go find them.
You'll start to get a feel for them as go go. There are some very clever and cunning ones but many are similar.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I use the phone app, as well as using the GPSr preloaded with caches I'm seriously interested in. I find it harder to bring up specific caches in the phone app than my preloads. Both tend to have almost the same accuracy here in the flatlands. One thing I find is that I can rule out my "found" caches in the GPSr, but not in the phone app.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That's true. It's possible to still find caches I've found on my gpsr as it keeps a list, which you can look into.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A good gps tends to be more accurate tho can still wander if trees and buildings are around you. Plus you don't always know the accuracy of the gps the hider used.
If you are casually doing it probably worth just using the app as it is a simpler method.
Batteries tend to last longer on a gps.
For me it's a no brainer as I use the gps for the mountains also. I have os map of whole UK in it and it works where there is no phone signal. When I'm planning a trip away I'll load all the caches in the area(s) I'm visiting, then if any appear on our routes we'll go find them.
You'll start to get a feel for them as go go. There are some very clever and cunning ones but many are similar.
Reading the found lists I come across some initials but dont know what they mean hope you can tell me.
TFTC .. realised it meant, Thanks for the cache.
GZ ..
TB ..

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Roger, but what's a Travel Bug?

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good set of images. It does look rather wet and muddy.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Some of the containers are fun.
IMG_6788.jpg.IMG_6793.jpg

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Roger, but what's a Travel Bug?
A Travel Bug is any item which is attached to a registered tag purchased from geocaching.com. It is designed to be left in a cache for the next finder to log and then move on to another cache. It's owned and registered by whomever purchased it and that person tracks it's travels across the World. I believe Steve has one of mine that I sent him, and I also have a few floating around England and the United States, as well as some which have been stolen or left in abandoned caches and never found again.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I do indeed tho it hasn't moved for a couple of years, I should chase them up https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3584209

You can see a map of where they have been

Ogofmole

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My wife is into Geocaching, and it works for us, as she hunts for her caches I'm taking photos in a area that I would not normally visit.