• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers First time shooting fireworks

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Photographing them, anyway. I have shot them off many times. I think this one turned out pretty well. This was for Canada Day where we turned a ripe old 150 on July 1.

20170701-1836.jpg

pixpoint17

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Photographing them, anyway. I have shot them off many times. I think this one turned out pretty well. This was for Canada Day where we turned a ripe old 150 on July 1.

View attachment 277243
Great job, that was beautiful. Any way happy independence day to Canada. 150 is something awesome.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice one Don, looks just the right balance between movement and clarity on this.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Personally, I think you nailed this one, Don.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nicely caught!

Kevin Fox

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nailed that one Don.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Looking good Don.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
you have caught the fireworks very well, my only crit would be the bottom half of the image is a bit off balance. I would have tried to get along side the two people and just have the lake as the foreground

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice one Don, looks just the right balance between movement and clarity on this.
Thanks. I took 92 that night.

Personally, I think you nailed this one, Don.
Thanks.

Nicely caught!
Thanks!

Nailed that one Don.
Thanks!

Looking good Don.
Thanks!

you have caught the fireworks very well, my only crit would be the bottom half of the image is a bit off balance. I would have tried to get along side the two people and just have the lake as the foreground
Thanks! They kept moving on me. I had a great spot where I could frame between the trees and see the lake, but the people kept moving. Well, mostly one of them.

steve b

Always on
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Spot on, for me, Don. Good coverage of the explosions, the point of release is there with trail, and the reflection of light on the water is good too - all in all, great job.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks. I took 92 that night.
This I can believe as fireworks there's not any "hard and fast" rule for them as whilst folk would like to believe there is, things like wind speed/direction, composition and location really do make for a tricky thing.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Spot on, for me, Don. Good coverage of the explosions, the point of release is there with trail, and the reflection of light on the water is good too - all in all, great job.
Thanks.

This I can believe as fireworks there's not any "hard and fast" rule for them as whilst folk would like to believe there is, things like wind speed/direction, composition and location really do make for a tricky thing.
I was not there early enough to get a great spot where I knew I had a perfect view. I did not know, and neither did anyone else I asked, where they were shooting them! I shot in manual in bulb mode, ISO 100 and F8 with a remote release. I could see the launch and hit the shutter and waited a few seconds after it exploded to let go.

Thanks.

I was not there early enough to get a great spot where I knew I had a perfect view. I did not know, and neither did anyone else I asked, where they were shooting them! I shot in manual in bulb mode, ISO 100 and F8 with a remote release. I could see the launch and hit the shutter and waited a few seconds after it exploded to let go.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great capture and Happy birthday Canada.

Tenorplayer

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nicely done Don. Super image

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That's pretty much my method for the most part, but the other year I took my lightning triggers for the giggles and then set an exposure time of about two or three seconds at about the same aperture/ISO (can't remember, but was metering for the illuminated church in the foreground) then sat back with a cold one and let the camera do it's thing.
Sadly I don't get time to play with fireworks a lot now-a-days, as it's generally when I'm up to my armpits in stage snakes at festivals when they're letting them loose.

NoLight

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Don very nice!! Nice use of foreground also, really gives it some depth!!