• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Fishermen....

Styeffo

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I’m not entirely sure which category these should go in, so I’ll leave that to one of the kind Moderators (please)...

Taken at Swanbridge the other night....

7D53CE03-C1EB-4E19-BD07-6293D20D4AEC.jpeg 13866B430-943D-48C9-8369-1D2C86A52D49.jpeg 28FB59122-00C9-4031-9C7D-33EF2E23CDBD.jpeg38049D264-7DA0-45B8-B613-DE3E3AA906FD.jpeg 4AAC9958A-46B1-4271-960F-1C9CB13D70D1.jpeg 52D6C6D37-AD3C-4626-B480-6BC9801C931A.jpeg 62004CE3B-DF76-4A68-B5F7-9CAD094F0053.jpeg 7E085D58A-64E6-4820-AE8E-1D8767769751.jpeg 8A98F1686-9A02-48D9-9C9D-D3F12BC61CFD.jpeg 9

Last edited:

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cool set of PIX!

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks a lot breeliz, any particular one stand out?
I like #2 and #3 but as you know I tend to resist subject in center unless there is a reason for it being there. I like the colors of #4 and the last one but the composition is snapshot to me. So I'm going to say that #2 is my fav. I think they are all special in their own way.

I get that it is a fisherman but I kinda like to imagine that this is old Van Gogh carting his easel off to the sea to do a painting. Just sayin.

Styeffo

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like #2 and #3 but as you know I tend to resist subject in center unless there is a reason for it being there. I like the colors of #4 and the last one but the composition is snapshot to me. So I'm going to say that #2 is my fav. I think they are all special in their own way.
Thank you very much, so in your opinion what could I do to the last two to make less snapshot?

Stef

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Tis a really good idea to number your images so as not to confuse crit.
Now my pick of these is #6

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you very much, so in your opinion what could I do to the last two to make less snapshot?

Stef
For #9 I would probably slice out most of the distant mountain and drop the top (with that nice coppery section) down on the base and then crop the left 25% of the image and bring the top down in the crop.

#8 is harder to do because it is so dark. Can you just bring up the color of the water and sky only? This one is not a snapshot style.

Styeffo

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No I want that coppery slice but not that whole mountain. i think you can slice away about 70% of the middle of the mountain and drop the top slice onto the bottom slice. That will raise the height of the image you are showing now. Then remove from the left side 1/2 the distance between the fisherman and the left margin. That will get the guy out of the center. The top coppery slice on the right will help balance the image.

I will see if I can do some slice and dice on the image later today. But I have to work today so it won't be until this afternoon. And of course we have a big trial going on which demands some time.

Last edited:

Styeffo

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No I want that coppery slice but not that whole mountain. i think you can slice away about 70% of the middle of the mountain and drop the top slice onto the bottom slice. That will raise the height of the image you are showing now. Then remove from the left side 1/2 the distance between the fisherman and the left margin. That will get the guy out of the center. The top coppery slice on the right will help balance the image.

I will see if I can do some slice and dice on the image later today. But I have to work today so it won't be until this afternoon. And of course we have a big trial going on which demands some time.
Oh slicing and stitching bits together, not really got that ability on my iPhone or iPad yet ...
Stef

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Here is a quick fix to give you a good idea of what I was saying. I would probably straighten out the horizon a bit as it is slanted. I did boost the saturation of the sky slice 10%. Your eye will naturally loop around the image this way versus plunking flat in the center and staying there.

fisherman1.jpg

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like number 4.

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My way of doing #4 FWIW again pulling him out of the center and trimming the top down a bit to balance things out.

steffyo4a.jpg