• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

HELP Nikon d3500 photo files

Renee Lund

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
My sister in law has a Nikon d3500 and when she downloads her photos they are well under 1000kb! Where do you chance the settings to produce larger photo files so you can print the photos? I have looked all over Youtube and nothing. She is snapping shots and finding out the file sizes are like 880 or 840 for example which is less than 1.0MB. Any suggestions???

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Renee Lund

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I'm not a Nikon user but does this link help:

Well she had it on large and jpeg/fine since she is a very new digital camera user. When she sent me her photo it was only 856KB. I found that strange and was expecting something sized in the MB level. The size of her photo won't print out much size at all. Her phone photos are larger than her camera photos and they are both jpeg.

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day Renee

The above suggestion is the same as I would make too
However, can I suggest that (if possible) -you- get to the camera and double check the menu settings :)

Certainly any good quality camera these days when set to "L" large pixels plus "normal (best)" JPG use -should- produce images well over 1mb in size

Alternatively - how is she downloading images from camera to computer? ... does the download software have some sort of settings that may "reduce the images for email transmission" sort of option??

Hope this helps
Phil

Renee Lund

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Well she had it on large and jpeg/fine since she is a very new digital camera user. When she sent me her photo it was only 856KB. I found that strange and was expecting something sized in the MB level. The size of her photo won't print out much size at all. Her phone photos are larger than her camera photos and they are both jpeg.
G'day Renee

The above suggestion is the same as I would make too
However, can I suggest that (if possible) -you- get to the camera and double check the menu settings :)

Certainly any good quality camera these days when set to "L" large pixels plus "normal (best)" JPG use -should- produce images well over 1mb in size

Alternatively - how is she downloading images from camera to computer? ... does the download software have some sort of settings that may "reduce the images for email transmission" sort of option??

Hope this helps
Phil
Wow Phil I completely forgot about the settings of the program downloading the photo. I will find out tomorrow thanks for the suggestion!

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Trace through the full trail from image capture to email received. Somewhere the image is being downsized. As above, I would recheck the camera settings to ensure that full, uncompressed JPEGs (Large or Fine) are being recorded to the memory card. However, the smallest JPEG file size on the D3500 is still 6 megapixels and for a file that should be close to 6 megabytes. Such file sizes are not accepted by many email services. Additional compression is being performed, your trace will find it.

Renee Lund

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Trace through the full trail from image capture to email received. Somewhere the image is being downsized. As above, I would recheck the camera settings to ensure that full, uncompressed JPEGs (Large or Fine) are being recorded to the memory card. However, the smallest JPEG file size on the D3500 is still 6 megapixels and for a file that should be close to 6 megabytes. Such file sizes are not accepted by many email services. Additional compression is being performed, your trace will find it.
I agree with you on the expected size of her files that's why I thought to ask all you pros and have gotten some awesome suggestions. I will have to probably get the camera in my hand and follow each piece of the download. I know she downloads to her ipad from her camera. So I'm not familiar with her download software but will watch each step when I get there.