• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Kymulga Bridge & Mill

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just outside of Childersburg, AL. The mill and bridge was built in 1864 for Confederate Lt. Colonel George Forney who was killed in the Battle of the Wilderness, in Virginia before construction was completed. The Union Army burned most of the mills in the area but some how missed this one, maybe because of it's out of the way location. Surprisingly advance for it's day, the 4 story mill had not one, but three turbines powering 5 French Buhrs, and providing electricity for the site. Over the years the mill has continued to operate being sold four times till finally in 1988 the Childersburg Historical Society bought the property. They still grind corn for special occasions, but they use electrical power now rather than the turbines.
Built in 1861, the 105-foot (32 m) bridge is one of only two 19th-century covered bridges in Alabama still remaining at its original location.

Kymulga Bridge by William Raber, on Flickr

Kymulga Bridge by William Raber, on Flickr

Kymulga Mill by William Raber, on Flickr

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice bit of history and well captured. Really love the last one of the mill with the splashes of red.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great set. I'm almost positive my friends gave me the tour of that the last time I was visiting in Guntersville.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great set. I'm almost positive my friends gave me the tour of that the last time I was visiting in Guntersville.
Possible, but this is close to a 100 miles south of Guntersville.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A nice bit of history there ,love to know the technical aspects.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks guys. I love searching out the off the beaten track locations. There are some great locations if you look.

Interesting side note. The bridge across Talledega Creek, connects to the 2nd Federal road constructed in AL. Known as the The Old GA Rd. Congress appropriated $6400 in 1806 to build a 4 ft wide path from Athens, GA to Mobile, AL. Eventually it became a part of a system of roads that would connect Washinton, DC to New Orleans. The increased traffic it brought through the Creek Nation was part of what led up to the Creek War.

Remnanents of the old road still remain at the end of the bridge that are maintained as a walking trail.