• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lens warmers?

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Something I have never heard of before and never experienced is lens fogging. The only exception is going from an air conditioned room into the cold. So when watching this video I was quite surprised to see the chap using electric lens warmers. Is that a thing? In Australia of all places at 2 degrees at night it,is not something I would have thought would be needed. Certainly here in Blighty I can honestly not think of a time, even at -9, that I have had an issue. I have also shot inside the artic circle with wind chill at -38c and not had a problem although my Sony tog friend got through a suitcase of batteries before his EVF gave up due to the cold.

kayak

Always on
I've been in rain forests and cloud forests, and never had fogging in any of my lenses, but I know it can happen. From what I've been told, you just wait a few minutes and it clears by itself.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
I've shot at -40 and never had a problem. I keep the camera ready to go inside my snowsuit at body temperature to keep the battery warm and pull it out when I need to shoot. That said, the worst time for fogging is when you go inside from those temperatures just the same as when you walk into a warm coffee shop from the cold and your specs fog up.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
That is what I expected. Still, seems to me someone is good at marketing. Not sure I will rush out to buy one.

Aussies are all wimps, 2degrees is practically tropical compared to -40. His shots are pretty good though.

Last edited:

DwarvenChef

Always on
In Coldfoot AK I used my AE-1 Program and had no troubles with shooting. Than again I kept the camera in my coat till needed, it was still in the cold.

That poor camera went from -75f to +115f while I was stationed in AK during my time in the Army. Still looking for all those negatives...

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
I tried one, was so good compared to not having it on that I can't remember which box down the basement I put it or if I've still got it. I find heat expansion or contraction more a pain as going from a warm environment to either an extremely hot or extremely cold, things like the focus or zoom responding different. Out in air temps of +40ºC and direct sunlight for a few hours my 70-200 really gets tight on the zoom.

A device like this is a bit moot to me, as looking at it, if there's going to be a serious enough temperature shift for this to be truly useful the batteries are going to be affected a lot more. On a morning in winter with temps hovering around or below -10ºC, with one of my big Nikons; a hundred shots per cell would be good going.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
My biggest problem with fogging has always been bringing cold lenses into a warm room which I solved by enclosing them in a standard airtight plastic bag while in the cold and only removing them once they've warmed to about room temperature.

I usually acclimate my lenses to the cold slowly and have only had fogging or condensation on the face of the lens a couple of times when I rushed things. Easy to prevent, but if you're in a rush, I can see where lens warmers may be useful.

Jannyfox

Astronomers use them on telescopes with exposed front elements. It's not the going in and out that's the problem - it's being out for several hours when the temperature/humidity/dew point is likely to change. Actual temperature is irrelevant.

Nikon Shooter

I have my long lenses in the truck all year 'round and
I don't experience fogging.

…but there are days I would do with hand warmers though! :p

SharonH

Here a lot
Premium Member
Oh my word, I read the title of this thread as 'Leg warmer' haha I was wondering what leg warmers had to do with photography lol Lens warmers makes more sense haha
There have been a couple of occasions I could have done with some but I didn't know they existed.