• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Looking Forward to Warmer Nights.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Camping by the lake. Campsite.jpg

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Lovely evening scene with some difficult exposure challenges. I can't help but think it would benefit from a letterbox format to bring the horizon onto the third.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well done, Paul. The exposure on the fire, as well as the candles, is perfectly handled.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Lovely evening scene with some difficult exposure challenges. I can't help but think it would benefit from a letterbox format to bring the horizon onto the third.
Letterbox format? I thought it is a letterbox format. As for horizon, thats all there was to see. Just black trees to the left and right.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Letterbox format? I thought it is a letterbox format. As for horizon, thats all there was to see. Just black trees to the left and right.
That's not quite what I meant. I hope you don't mind but I just cropped a bit off the top to illustrate what I was saying. It brings the horizon and the fire into the top and bottom thirds respectively.
CampsiteCropped.jpg

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
When I take a photo I actually look through the viewfinder and look around and see if I like it or not. Sometimes it means zooming in or out, even moving the camera. I have never thought about the rule of thirds the golden rule, or the fibonacci scale. I just shoot what feels good. I sure dont live by the rules. And I try to never crop a pixel from the photo. I pay a lot of money for camera and lens so why toss pixels out when you get home? Now what you did I have no objection to and it looks fine. But being outside there was a huge expanse. Lots of sky water and foreground. Cropping off the top sky and trees gives me a bit of a claustrophobic feeling compared to the original. For me the fire draws my eyes down so much that it needs for me that extra sky for some visual relief. Does that make any sense?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I can understand your reasoning Paul and by no means follow rules at all times myself although sometimes they work well otherwise they wouldn't be a common practice. I'm not sure I agree with your feelings on cropping as unless you are printing images to their maximum possible size just posting on the web throws away an awful lot of pixels especially here with the 1024px limit. Many times when I look through the viewfinder I envision a shot that the camera manufacturer's predetermined aspect ratio just wont accommodate without cropping. Why should one limit their photography to the rules set by Canon etc and their design teams?
Still I'm glad us photographers don't all agree on the various aspects of photography otherwise everything would be pretty uniform and boring with no room for innovation and creativity.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great job handing the dynamic range between the fire and the background.