• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Nikon d850 VS d750.. d750 looks good!

the voyager

Here a lot
I have been wanting to upgrade for a while now (currently on Nikon d7100) and with me wanting to take on wedding photography next year I definitely want to get the following:

24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8
Macro 105

d850 /
d750 / d810 (struggling to find the middle ground between these 2 bodies. 750 better in low light, 810 more MP plus many more!).

As you can see will be pricey, but I think the investment will pay for itself. And although I want the d850, I am dreaming if I think I can pay for that and the lenses.

My plan is to hire the lenses for a few weddings, then buy them soon after. But I want to get a new body to get used to it.

The d750 looks pretty darn good, sure a few less 'gadgets' or focus points and the like, but it could certainly do me well coupled with a pro lens.

Are there any other bodies in this price / tech range I am missing?

Last edited:

SFTphotography

Old Hand
I would try get a D810 over a D750 - not just the extra MP (which do matter) but the better build. You'd be looking at a second hand camera to get one though. I'd have a D850 over both.

Newbandit

Always on
‘Better in low light’ Any full frame camera these days is good in low light. Don’t buy one based on that criteria unless you shoot exclusively in a coal mine

Skyshot

I changed from a 7100 to an 810 and have been seriously impressed, so definitely no regrets.

I thought about a 750 as they were coming up cheaper than the 810 obviously, but although the flip screen could be handy occasionally nothing else pulled me toward it so I decided to spend a bit more money.

Luckily, I managed to pick up good lenses at a sensible price too and I sold off all my DX lenses with only a small loss on one of them.

I definitely made the right move. :cool:

I'll look at the 850 in a year or so when the prices have dropped a bit . . .

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
I've just gone over to the D810 from a D700, it's a beast of a machine; one thing I like with it is that whilst the MP count may seem high (even above a D750) dropping the exported image size (my usual sub size is 10mp) with the magic of bicubic it's a serious low light machine.

Against a D750, the 750 has a slightly better AF, slightly better noise at native resolution (but I think if a D810 was downsampled that wouldn't be noticeable, and perhaps the 810 would look better) but on the other hand the AF points (and hence the spot metering too) on the 750 are bunched even closer together than the 810.

As for the 850, that is also a nice camera; from the time I've had on one it's perhaps not as much a leap from a D810 to a D850 than the generational increases of old. The AF is more advanced, the video is better and it can shunt more data quicker but unless you were smashing round 4k video or in the habit of smashing lots of uncompressed RAW out at 5fps, I'm still undecided if it's that much of a better stills camera.

Personally, I'd say get a D810 + grip (and if you think it's worth it, an EN-EL18; I've been averaging 4 nights on one charge this summer's tour, instead of two batteries per set this year) and that'll open the budget up a bit more for your lenses.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
I too would rather the 8** build than the 750. I've had the 800 since it's introduction and have recently bought an 850. The 800/810 are awesome cameras and the 850 just builds on that being a better all rounder than the earlier models. It deals with sports and wildlife shooting much better than the older models and with a grip and en-el18 it will shoot 9fps which at 46mp is a staggering feat shunting all that data around. For the sort of work you are talking the 800 or 810 would be great.

the voyager

Here a lot
I too would rather the 8** build than the 750. I've had the 800 since it's introduction and have recently bought an 850. The 800/810 are awesome cameras and the 850 just builds on that being a better all rounder than the earlier models. It deals with sports and wildlife shooting much better than the older models and with a grip and en-el18 it will shoot 9fps which at 46mp is a staggering feat shunting all that data around. For the sort of work you are talking the 800 or 810 would be great.
Good to hear so much good advice... shall look over the 750/810 side by side and decide what features I need more.

Thanks!