• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Padley Gorge - misty editing help

Crimmy

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi everyone!

Its been a little while since I've posted on here, but I hope you are all well.

I went to Padley Gorge over the weekend, and I've been trying to edit the resulting photos since then. One of them I feel is more promising than the others, but I can't seem to get the edit right - I don't know if I'm just being picky, but something looks a little off to me. I'm very new to editing with mist, and I think thats the problem. Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying for a more autumnal, warm feeling.

The image on the left is the SOOC JPEG, and the right is my 6th or 7th editing attempt.
padley_gorge_pfforum.jpg

Stephen F

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If you are editing a jpeg then i think you have done well with the edit, the sooc looks far to saturated on the greens but that's what you get when the camera doe's the editing for you. You would have far more editing control if you shoot RAW images. All in all a good effort.

Crimmy

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If you are editing a jpeg then i think you have done well with the edit, the sooc looks far to saturated on the greens but that's what you get when the camera doe's the editing for you. You would have far more editing control if you shoot RAW images. All in all a good effort.
Thank you, thats kind of you to say! But I was editing from RAW - I get RW and full size jpegs from each shot, so the photo on the left was a SOOC jpeg (the settings of which were neglected, as the JPEGs are often overlooked) and on the right was an edit from a RAW image.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Try applying some split toning, warming earthy tones, for an autumnal feel. Split toning is a way of adding a feel, a mood and atmosphere. You can also manipulate the red yellow orange and green colours using the HSL sliders to achieve the feel you require. But as Stephen above says, if you're shooting jpeg and not raw the file will fall apart turning to mush if attempting these measures.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like the edit but the first thing that struck me is the mist is from back to front and top to bottom whereas in reality the lower portion of the photograph wouldn't be so misty/foggy. If you could add it as a graduating filter (or similar) I think that may work better.

Colours and overall atmosphere on the edit are much improved :)

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think what you've done quite nicely here (by showing both the shot jpg and your edited raw) is why it's so important not to shoot in jpg. ;)

I'll get my coat . . .

Crimmy

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Try applying some split toning, warming earthy tones, for an autumnal feel. Split toning is a way of adding a feel, a mood and atmosphere. You can also manipulate the red yellow orange and green colours using the HSL sliders to achieve the feel you require. But as Stephen above says, if you're shooting jpeg and not raw the file will fall apart turning to mush if attempting these measures.
OK, thanks! I will investigate split-toning this evening :)

I like the edit but the first thing that struck me is the mist is from back to front and top to bottom whereas in reality the lower portion of the photograph wouldn't be so misty/foggy. If you could add it as a graduating filter (or similar) I think that may work better.

Colours and overall atmosphere on the edit are much improved :)
Thanks for the tip! I'm a little confused by what you mean though - unless I'm getting the terms mixed up, the lower part of the photo isn't as foggy? Only the back/further from the camera is?

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for the tip! I'm a little confused by what you mean though - unless I'm getting the terms mixed up, the lower part of the photo isn't as foggy? Only the back/further from the camera is?
On second looks I can see what you mean - I should have said bottom 2/3rds of the photo as I'd expect to see the mist where the trees are but not closer to the camera. On second thoughts I'm wondering if the foreground should have more clarity/texture/sharpness, thus to emphasise the mist. Feel like I might be digging myself a hole here :D:D