• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Richmond Does

Snips

Always on
Since you've asked for Full Critique and as I'm feeling brave ... tin hat time ... !!!

First off though, I'm going to start with positives for a change. The compositions are exactly what I'd be creating from the originals and the cropping, shadows, highlights, processing are really good. I'm afraid, however, that for me, there's a But ...

This set isn't a patch on your stag shots which were truly fantastic. For me, it's that old game about light - with all these, the animals (the subjects) are in shadow and while I like the atmospheric feel of these shots, for me they're just not working because the subject is in shadow and, more importantly, while in shadow can work when the lighting is from the back, the subject isn't back lit. #3 is the best of them because there is some light on her.

It's my opinion and I'm not expecting you to agree but to illustrate my thoughts, with #4 if that was in the sun either further back or nearer to you and out of that shaft of shadow, that could have been special. Having said this, however, you can only take what is in front of you.

I'm not saying I could do any better, probably/definitely not, but as said, when compared to the last set of stag shots you gave us, to me while finding deer and being reasonably close these are good photographs but aren't a patch on the stag shots you gave us.

Sorry to be negative - it's an opinion at the end of the day, it's my opinion and I'm not expecting you to agree. Full marks for the stag shots but 3/5 for these. Frustrating as I expect you put exactly the same effort into capturing these shots as those others.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Since you've asked for Full Critique and as I'm feeling brave ... tin hat time ... !!!

First off though, I'm going to start with positives for a change. The compositions are exactly what I'd be creating from the originals and the cropping, shadows, highlights, processing are really good. I'm afraid, however, that for me, there's a But ...

This set isn't a patch on your stag shots which were truly fantastic. For me, it's that old game about light - with all these, the animals (the subjects) are in shadow and while I like the atmospheric feel of these shots, for me they're just not working because the subject is in shadow and, more importantly, while in shadow can work when the lighting is from the back, the subject isn't back lit. #3 is the best of them because there is some light on her.

It's my opinion and I'm not expecting you to agree but to illustrate my thoughts, with #4 if that was in the sun either further back or nearer to you and out of that shaft of shadow, that could have been special. Having said this, however, you can only take what is in front of you.

I'm not saying I could do any better, probably/definitely not, but as said, when compared to the last set of stag shots you gave us, to me while finding deer and being reasonably close these are good photographs but aren't a patch on the stag shots you gave us.

Sorry to be negative - it's an opinion at the end of the day, it's my opinion and I'm not expecting you to agree. Full marks for the stag shots but 3/5 for these. Frustrating as I expect you put exactly the same effort into capturing these shots as those others.
Hi Ed, thank you for the time taken for your response. Your opinion is every bit as valid as anyone's. I too prefer the stag images with light in them but I quite liked the atmosphere in these as a change.

David_MC

Always on
They are great shots Barry. I really like #2 for the inclusion of the landscape along with the deer.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
These are very well shot, Barry. I agree with the above commentary about not as good as the stag shots, but why bother comparing stags to does at this point? You have posted these in the exact order of my preferences, too.

wraggtime

Always on
Try changing the white balance Barry, I find they are a bit yellow but they definitely have potential. This was a very quick edit but adding a bit more of an orange cast makes more of an early morning feel. Just my opinion but feel free to tell me you hate it. lol.

RichmondDoes-1.jpg

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Interesting set Barry. They have a very different feel from the "normal" early morning rut kind of photos, which is refreshing. My personal favourite is #2, though I'd tend to crop it to the top of the middle tree, as all that sky is a bit overpowering, but love the light rays.