• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Scanning from Epson V500

Bertiewm

Looking for help....i have a large number of photos and some slides to scan. I have a V500 Epson scanner acquired a few years ago. First question is, is it up to the job....I notice there are now many other newer models. If it is, what are the best settings. For photos it seems around 600dpi gives an ok result, 1200dpi takes a bit longer. For 35mm slides, 1200dpi seemed right and at least you can do 4 slides together. Is Full Auto mode as good as the Professional mode.....it didnt seem much different with ICE turned on. Any tips or comments appreciated. Also is there any way to clean old slides, other than a soft brush to remove dust. Finger marks???

skyhawk

I have the V600, had it for a few...................... few years now and I have scanned everything from my 6x6, 6x45, trannies and negs, and would use NOTHING else it is a GREAT scanner use it stop looking for faults

Yes.

A few drops of what has been around for YEARS

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Hi I have a V500 for photographic prints 300dpi should be OK 600 dpi to be extra sure for 35mm negs I go for 2400 haven't seen much benefit in going for more.

I have not used ICE after the first scan easier and better to use intelligent scratch and dust removal using eyeball and brain in lightroom or photoshop (or similar packages) I use Professional mode just means all my settings are my settings from the off rather than a machine guess.

I never use a brush but do use a rocket blower (rubber bulb blower) as just stroking the film charges it with static and makes it a dust magnet.

Not saying the above is perfect just what I use and how I do it.

Last edited:

skyhawk

Funny I have never used ICE either, have NO idea why I just never have, always brought up old school, use despeckle, salt and pepper removal, etc in post processing, I even still use THIS even though I have photoshop :)

Bertiewm

Looking for help....i have a large number of photos and some slides to scan. I have a V500 Epson scanner acquired a few years ago. First question is, is it up to the job....I notice there are now many other newer models. If it is, what are the best settings. For photos it seems around 600dpi gives an ok result, 1200dpi takes a bit longer. For 35mm slides, 1200dpi seemed right and at least you can do 4 slides together. Is Full Auto mode as good as the Professional mode.....it didnt seem much different with ICE turned on. Any tips or comments appreciated. Also is there any way to clean old slides, other than a soft brush to remove dust. Finger marks???
Thanks to paulmag, very helpful, esp re dust and the negs. Not quite sure I follow your comments skyhawk, I am not looking for faults, just help as my opening comment said.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
The "I have a large number..." gives me pause. Yes, the scanner will do a good job of digitizing your images. Also consider using a digital camera to "scan" them. Depending on the resolution and image quality produced by the camera's sensor and a good macro lens (for both slides and prints) you can achieve better results. Once your work area is set up with the correct working distances and lighting, you will be able to achieve far more "scans" per minute than a any scanner.

Plenty of sites on the web explaining the process.