• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Staged Photo

johnytrout

Here a lot
Last season in my local camera club, one of my images was selected to do the Southern Region Photography Exhibition. Each club accumulates points on how the judges mark the images (marks out of ten)
My image of a beggar in the streets of Norway had become an issue with the judge because he saw it as STAGED or POSED.
It was sharp and was technically ok.
This became a debate after the judging had finished owing to the fact that I only received a score of Five.
Our local club came second in the region by only one point.
My argument is ………… If a model has her photo entered in a photo competition, isn't that Staged?
And if an animal or bird is used in workshop, is that also staged?
Still Life images would also fall into the same category.
I feel that I have let the club down knowing that one or two points would have been a draw or maybe we would have won.
How would you feel?

johnytrout

Here a lot
Lol, It was a genuine shot on the streets of Norway while on Holiday.. Maybe the beggar wasn't really a beggar at all, who knows. But
I was assured that the technical merit warranted and the story it told was good enough for the Regions competition

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Lol, It was a genuine shot on the streets of Norway while on Holiday.. Maybe the beggar wasn't really a beggar at all, who knows. But
I was assured that the technical merit warranted and the story it told was good enough for the Regions competition
What I meant was would a staged photo violate the rules? It does not sound like it and I stand by my previous assessment of the judge :)

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
Are they saying it was stages because you set up a model to pose as a beggar, or that you asked the beggar to pose for you.. ?

Paul

Snips

Always on
Judge rewriting the rules to skew the results so that his camera club was in with a chance of winning?

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
You didn't let anybody down. When entering competitions, even those with very specific criteria, it is always useful to remember that every judge carries with them a bias. That's life.

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Well that proves Don correct about the judge.
I got slated on a couple of forum's way back for a shot of drunk on a bench.
No accounting for taste.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
It looks like it's come down to the judge's perspective of what they think real is; down side with a lot of photography, and this looks like what has happened here, is that if someone hasn't seen whatever or captured whatever for themselves, they don't think it's possible/real if someone else does. Sadly a lot of folk in photography wander around with their eyes closed, with their minds following suit, and they'll tell you it's wrong because they've not got the capacity or insight to think outside of their little box.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
It often happens to me with wildlife shots. People will suggest shots are contrived, taken at places like the £300 per half day kingfisher hides for example. What they fail to und is that I am far too much of a tightwad to pay for **** like that. Other times you get birders having a pop because they haven’t seen a bird at a particular site so it didn’t exist. They call you a liar on social media and occasionally to your face. I tend to just ignore them as they are a waste of effort. Same goes for this judge, a waste of time trying to argue. They will never change so what is the point?

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
They have come down in price since the early days of them. When there was only the one place it was £300 per half day. Now they tend to be £100-£150 as the market grew. There are now many people with this sort of setup across the UK and more in various countries around Europe. There are similar for owls, sparrow hawks and some other birds. The kingfisher hides are weird. Most are located next to a river but you are not photographing the bird in the river. Instead a reflection pool is setup level with the windows on the hide. You then buy some live fish to bung in the little poo, and you then sit and wait. Some will have a whole lighting setup at the pool and you can pay extra to use that. There are a few videos on YouTube showing these places. They are not something I personally would consider for various reasons including me being a tight arse. Another problem with many of them is the shots all look the same. Take the one in Scotland run by Alan McFadyn, the sparrow hawk is instantly recognisable as it has been shot by hundreds of photographers as well as appearing on spring watch and some other tv programs.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
It often happens to me with wildlife shots.
Me too, with the lightning stuff, especially the daylight ones; I've had all sorts off folk, just because folk can't do it with what they've got (either camera wise or in the head). It's even happened when I've been stood next to folk in a storm, and just because their 400€ with kit lens, jelly tripod and cheap popper off Amazon isn't doing it, then they think there's no way that I should be able to do it with ranged, beyond visible light sensors and a high speed camera.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
I would love to read more about your setup and techniques on that Sean. Maybe you have a thread somewher?

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
I would love to read more about your setup and techniques on that Sean. Maybe you have a thread somewher?
Yeah, but it's very out of date, and since the forum changed I can't find it; I'll put some of the more current stuff up in a while (probably the end of November, as I'm just coming to the back end of the farewell tour) as there's all sorts of little bits that I've learned since then that others may find useful (not just in lightning)...

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Set up or not, it doesn't matter how it is achieved.
The photo should stand on its merit as either good or bad not the process of shooting it.

johnytrout

Here a lot
There is a place quite close to me in Twyford that has developed a site especially for wildlife photographers. It has sunken hides that you can view from water height. Has sunken glass tanks that are filled daily with small fish just for the shots of Kingfishers diving.. It also has hides for water voles that come through plastic pipes that are covered in natural foliage. And a night time workshop for owls and bats.. The owls are called in so the togs can get shots of them in flight. But it all comes at a frightening cost.
Looky here >>>>>>>>>> https://www.petewhieldonphotography.co.uk/