• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Thetford Forest

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful light and composition, Ryan.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Gorgeous shot, Ryan!

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Loving it. Pulls you right in there.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Looks like an area ripe full of potential. I wonder if using the light hitting the green branches on the right hand side as a focal point would improve the composition and give the eye somewhere to settle.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful light and composition, Ryan.
Gorgeous shot, Ryan!
Loving it. Pulls you right in there.
Very ethereal :thumbsup:
Thanks guys!
Looks like an area ripe full of potential. I wonder if using the light hitting the green branches on the right hand side as a focal point would improve the composition and give the eye somewhere to settle.
Its definitely a nice bit of woodland although large parts are managed pine of which a huge swath has been felled over the summer. I find focal points with treescapes a bit difficult to judge, to my eye the gap on the right hand third was meant to be the focus but it's perhaps not as prominent as I had hoped. I was planning on getting over again this weekend as someone told me of some old growth areas with lots of gnarled moss covered trees which should make for some interesting shots if I get some decent light.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like this one.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like this one.
Cheers Mike!

Been working on this one using some blending layers in ps , it's not how it looked in person but I kind of like how it came out.
IMG_5086vFin1010v2.jpg

Last edited:

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
it's not how it looked in person but I kind of like how it came out.
Doesn't matter a jot what it looked like in reality, reality often is dull and boring. It's what it looks like after creative input that is important.
There are those who practise photography and then there are those who practise the art of photography. There's a distinct difference between the two and I know which camp I'd rather be in. Reality or record shots are mostly dull unless taken under exceptional conditions. Fortunately exceptional conditions are extremely rare otherwise landscape photography would be repetitive, easy and boring. Processing within the confines of a perfect histogram or a 0-255 colour profile may produce technically faultless photographs but often the end result is an insipid predictable dull rendition lacking any emotion or atmosphere whatsoever.
The only limiting factor is your imagination.

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
[QUOTE="RyanB, post

Been working on this one using some blending layers in ps , it's not how it looked in person but I kind of like how it came out.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much every shot I take, I'm thinking, what can I do with this in PS. :grin:

Mountain Mamma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Love this shot! All the moss and mist in the trees, I would love to wander in a forest like that.

Stephen F

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good edit Ryan , that has certainly lifted the image, well done .

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Doesn't matter a jot what it looked like in reality, reality often is dull and boring. It's what it looks like after creative input that is important.
There are those who practise photography and then there are those who practise the art of photography. There's a distinct difference between the two and I know which camp I'd rather be in. Reality or record shots are mostly dull unless taken under exceptional conditions. Fortunately exceptional conditions are extremely rare otherwise landscape photography would be repetitive, easy and boring. Processing within the confines of a perfect histogram or a 0-255 colour profile may produce technically faultless photographs but often the end result is an insipid predictable dull rendition lacking any emotion or atmosphere whatsoever.
The only limiting factor is your imagination.
Totally agree, beyond some cloning and raw editing I haven't really made much use out of all the features my editing software can do but I have become more adventurous over the last few months after gaining a better understanding of how layers work in PS. The nice thing is I have a huge archive of shots to practice on in the upcoming winter months and maybe turn some of my more mediocre shots into something more.
Pretty much every shot I take, I'm thinking, what can I do with this in PS. :grin:
I'm getting more like that but I also like shots I know will need minimal tweaks in post, especially with wildlife stuff.
Love this shot! All the moss and mist in the trees, I would love to wander in a forest like that.
Thanks!, It's a lovely bit of forest although the amount of ticks I have had to remove at the end of a wander is worrisome. I've started bringing a nit comb to give my hair a run through before getting in the car.
Good edit Ryan , that has certainly lifted the image, well done .
Cheers Stephen, I am much happier with the second version. The first didn't look bad until I put them side by side and realised it was a bit lackluster.

Mountain Mamma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I can see how the Ticks could be bad they have the perfict conditions in that forest it looks like.

Thanks!, It's a lovely bit of forest although the amount of ticks I have had to remove at the end of a wander is worrisome. I've started bringing a nit comb to give my hair a run-through before getting in the car.