• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Weeping window copyright

Tenorplayer

Always on
Premium Member
Just a heads up to all/any who might having weeping window poppy images up forsale on various sites,
Photo for me sent me an email this morning stating that they had received a letter from the Imperial war museum stating that such images are in breach of copyright.
The mail reads as follows :-
=================================================
We are writing to you because we have received a letter from the Imperial War Museum who has contacted us explaining that photographers are currently in breach of copyrights.
The letter goes as follows:
_____________________________________________________________________-
The Poppies project was conceived as a gift to the nation, and to benefit charities supporting the services and contributing to marking the centenary of the First World War.
The rights to the Poppies project and in particular the Wave and Weeping Window are owned in their entirety by Historic Royal Palaces and Paul Cummins Ceramics Ltd. Imperial War Museum is the only organization authorized by the rights holders to supply merchandise for sale using the images of the Poppies. On behalf of the rights holders in the artwork, I notify you that neither you nor the photographers are licensed to sell these photographs and request that you inform the photographers that they should withdraw them from sale immediately.

I have replied to the letter acknowledging the safe receipt and that we will act accordingly but ideally if they could supply the picture ID's it would be helpful. In saying that, we have had no reply.

Without further delay, could you please remove any images from your portfolio which fit this letter and description above to avoid future problems.
================================================
A pity as they were some of my favourite images :(

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
I'm amazed it took them that long to get around to P4M. The War Museum has been hitting up photo sales sites for almost two years now about this.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
Hardly a pity as they remain your favorite images. You may do with them what you wish, you just may not sell them.

The copyright issue is one that frequently bites people when they photograph art installations. Any other "designed" objects may also claim copyright. For example Frank Lloyd Wright architecture.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
How about "I'm not photographing the poppies I'm photographing the church the poppies are just in the way" .... think that may work ??

Tenorplayer

Always on
Premium Member
If anyones interested, these are the images to which I am referring:-

skyhawk

Hypocritically..............

Patrick Moore was a good friend of mine, and I designed and had printed his Albedo Map of Mars, at my expense.

Later with no permission from me the Sky at Night used it in an episode of the BBC Sky at Night with Lintott, I did a screen shot and placed it on my web page, their solicitors wrote to ME saying take it down as I had not had permission to use the image :) :) :)

Had Patrick not been in his 80s and a good friend I would have sued the BBC

Attachments

Onyx

Very informative. I had no idea that, as a photographer, you could get in bother of this sort photographing an art installation. I don't have any images of the installation in question, sadly, but I have to say yours are great. Very nice work.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
Very informative. I had no idea that, as a photographer, you could get in bother of this sort photographing an art installation. I don't have any images of the installation in question, sadly, but I have to say yours are great. Very nice work.
It's not an issue to take the photos. Usually not an issue to show them. But commercial use means someone is making money based on someone else's art - that often causes a problem. In this case, the Historic Royal Palaces and Paul Cummins Ceramics Ltd. intend that the sale of
images depicting the art installation are to support certain charities. They are simply protecting their revenue stream.