• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

what did i do wrong

keith1955

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Taken with canon 90d and 100-400 , f5.6 1/640 shutter iso 200 shrunk to 1200x800 using canons software so I could upload it.
As you can see it is blurred which was a surprise as i had camera on 10 shots per second.
I have taken similar shots with a bushnel camera trap that managed to get "wings open shots " so I don't know what I did wrong with my canon gear.
bluetit.JPG

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Keith- first you are going to have to get that shutter speed up. Say- 1/1200. May need to up the ISO as well. 10 shots per second will only give you a better chance of getting the shot, not necessarily detail or everything in focus.
It appears the house is in focus, but not the bird-

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
shrunk to 1200x800 using canons software so I could upload it
The forum limit is 1024 pixels on the longest edge, not 1200.

If you look closely, the feet are completely in focus because they're in the same plane as the birdhouse. You're camera focused on the wall rather than the bird's head.

gaelldew

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Keith I would have said set the aperture to f8 or f11, focus on the bird box then back off the focus a fraction then you have a better chance of getting the bird right. Dont forget its coming towards you, have the other settings as Marc says.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Are you using centre point focus, if so as you can see from the image below it's focusing on the bird box in the middle of the screen.
bluetit1.jpg

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Crank that shutterspeed up, 1/640 is way to slow. As Marc suggested, start at 1/1200, you might even have to go as high as 1/2000. Use a smaller aperture (start around f/8) to maximize your depth of field. Try to use one of the zone focusing modes instead of single point. Another trick in regards to focusing, if you where about where the bird will be, try to prefocus on the spot and then switch to manual (or use Back Button Focus). That way the camera won't try to autofocus before taking the shot.

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Keith, what was the focal length of the shot ? And approx distance to the bird ?

keith1955

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
rebel106 yes I did focus on the birdbox but I did not have a choice because by the time I would have seen the bird it would been long gone.
To balami i dont know what the focal length was but i as about 3 metres away

Mountain Mamma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I agree with the others your shutter speed was way to slow I would have used a higher shutter speed more like 1/1200 or higher and upped your iso slightly to compensate for the higher shutter. Also if you are using Autofocus I would use multi-point tracking rather than single point focus. Otherwise play with manual focus and continuous shutter release. You will get a lot of not quite what you want images with manual Focus and maybe one image that is what you want. Play with both those focusing options to see what works for you.