• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

What filters do you use and why

skyhawk

Please can this NOT be turned into a thread about using/not using filters and if they are/not needed or Photoshop

Im am getting back to something I really never could master, Landscape, I have recently for some time been a sports photographer with Classic Cars magazine, also shooting for others and covered many sports events such as P1 Superstock, P1 Aqua X, (and no not all pros earn a lot :( I did it as I have loved photography all my life)

But Landscape.................... Being Autistic (Aspergers) you may think I am an artistic person... NO, sports is dead easy.

I used to use a lovely (regret selling) Brony SQAi.

I now use my LEE 150s on my Nikon, I did have the 14-24 but used it so rarely, my main goto is the 24-120 Nikkor

Whilst I have a selection of LEES, 10 stopper, Tobacco grad, .6 ND hard, .9 ND hard, .6 ND soft, and polarizer

I would like to know what your MAIN choice for filter is and an example please, and WHY so that I may learn. Also is there one I shoud look out for and why

Many thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
My most used an a circular polarizer. The effect of a CPL cannot be recreated in software. Next is a ND for slowing shutter speed. I have ND grads, but I never use them any more. Way too fiddly to play around with and I can do it in software much easier.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
I use CP primarily to manage reflections rather than enhance skies and use a 3 and 6 stop filters to manage shutter speed much more than I use my 10 stop.

Petrochemist

Always on
I shoot quite a lot of infra red & am trying ultraviolet imaging too. So I use a very wide range of filters :)
Many of the old strongly coloured filters for B&W work quite well on my Full spectrum converted camera giving parts of the visual spectrum along with IR. All the yellow, orange & red filters are basically long pass filters sold as 'high color', 'super color' etc in IR conversions, some of the greens & blues block quite a bit of IR & other transmit it well so the results from different filters here can be significant.
An X1 on a foveon sensor camera can give results similar to the old aerochrome IR film:
https://flic.kr/p/2ecQc7d More exotic filters are needed at the UV end U330 or U340 should work with a suitable addition to block the IR leakage...

Using my converted A7ii without a filter can give results highly influenced by IR too such as flektogon unfiltered small.JPG

So a IR cut filter is another one I often use (mine clipping in to the camera body behind the lens)