• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Which DSLR to go for?

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Everybody. Hope yeh all sound?

I am ready to buy my very first DSLR. Only I need some help to find which one? I have my eye on the Canon EOS 4000D with two lenses here > https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8366904

Thing is, I am prepared to spend around £500, only I am not sure really what other camera to go for? Here is all the DSLR cameras > https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/dslr-cameras/c:30192/opt/sort:price/ scroll down for brands. Now because it is my very first DSLR, what would you suggest I do? Go for the canon 4000d with the two lenses and save the extra cash? Or, spend that little extra?

Here is an idea of the kind of work I do:
I get a kick out of getting up very close and personal to flowers and plants at different angles. I really enjoy taking landscape photos with plenty of background/middle ground/foreground, as well. I also take pictures based around the idea of old buildings, mainly looking for old paint, falling plaster, different tones in old bricks, cracked/splintered wood, faded posters, that sort thing. For this idea, I will introduce black and white a lot too. I just want crisp pictures, but with what I see as the subject on my camera screen, so is how the picture will look like when uploaded. Oh yes, and of course, this is my first ever time with working with RAW file, so that is something else I am very excited about.

The camera I usually use is the Sony Cybershot H400 with 63x optical zoom. here > https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-h400 which is a compact camera with some DSLR features. Anyway since owning this camera now for a little over 2 years I have experienced a lot of underexposures and overexposures, a lot more overexposures than under so what does my head in is say, the branches of a tree are kind of looking choppy with gaps, and they look all distorted, Still smashing to edit all the same. I read somewhere that canon offers the option for a low beeping noise signalling overexposures and underexposures etc, so this personal annoyance can be automatically fixed using the AI servo and autofocus or AF [on lens] or are both settings the same? Anyway, I know this will be a part of the package anyway so this serving as a piece of mind.

I guess what I really would like to know is what cannon or, other DSLR camera under the £500 would be considered as a recommended first level entry DSLR, but also, crucially that the camera is reliable too. Remember I am used to using a 63x zoom, although I don't mind having a less zoom as I know I can modify the camera with other lenses and stuff.

From your professional point of view, what camera would you suggest I go for? Keep in mind my budget is £500.
Hit the second link in paragraph two to view all cameras.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A fair amount of people newish to the hobby have a bridge camera with a massive zoom. Then there are some (like me) who want to have a better image quality and better camera and lens and hope to pay the same price. I'm afraid it just doesn't work - the equivalent in DSLR monies is eye-watering. A compromise has to be made.

Looking at what you like photographing it doesn't seem as if you need a hugely magnified zoom.

Are you happy buying second hand from a reputable dealer? If you are you might consider this combination:
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-7d-digital-slr-camera-body-used-1728937/

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-ef-24-105mm-f4-l-is-usm-lens-used-1734200/

The camera has been used by many members of the forum and the lens is a popular choice among Canon users - it's a fantastic walkabout lens.

The image quality you'll achieve with this combination should be very appealing for you. If bought from Wex, you should have a short cooling off period so you can try it out for a day or two to see how you get on with it.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I don't see anything wrong with the 4000d.
With that thought, it is a camera set for beginners, casual use..
This conversation goes toward the direction of where you want to go with photography.
Upgrades...etc.
The more you learn, the more abilities you want in the camera and lens.
I don't know a whole lot about the 4000d.
But I do have the 2000d, as well as a few other cameras. Yet, for some of what I do, I would rather use my 80d. My most "capable" camera I have. As you grow, you'll see what I mean.
- Now a suggestion to take a leap in thought. If you outgrow it too soon...resenting the purchase...or going bigger and taking the chance of putting it in the closet and never seeing it again.
The 2000d...
It's pretty capable and would be a good start imho. A bit more pixels and would suggest a look at a 2000d vs 4000d on google.

With all this- take the same care in lens choice.
And! Don't be afraid of used from reputable dealers. Save $$.

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Snips. Hmm, well I know buying second hand is buying potential trouble but an interesting thought all the same. So cheers for that and the links, as well. I will have a gander.

@Pteranadon. Thanks you for that. All very useful information to read on, especially on the 2000D. I will be sure to also, compare the difference between the 4000D and 2000D. I won't be losing interest or outgrow as I would consider photography now like second nature for me as I feel ready to take that next step into the photography world but using DSLR. Keep in mind, I don't really know that much on the preferred DSLR, so I thought I could skip the search function of such a similar topic, as I need some quick practical camera purchase tips as now thinking I should have mentioned there is a sale on or clearance so I need to be sure before the sale ends.

Cheers.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If you are willing to spend a little more this deal is superb - https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-80d--18-55mm-is-stm-kit-4175-p.asp

Or this - https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-200d-kit-18-55-stm-black-6970-p.asp

The 4000D had the older 18mp sensor which is showing its age somewhat, especially the noise character.

Either of the above have a much newer sensor as well as the bonus of dual pixel AF which makes those times when shooting video or stills from the rear screen much easier.

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Phill. Thank You for your feedback m8. Smashin stuff. I had a look at the links you posted in. I have decided not to go for the 4000D now and have been reading up on the 2000D instead, especially as I compared both the 4000D and 2000D and I prefer the 2000D more, although I am still researching so it's getting closer now for me to finally own my very first DSLR. I can feel it in my waters. Not long to go now but I just need to be sure.

But yeh cheers for the heads up on the newer sensors. Great stuff. Hmm, I like the 200D now as well lol.

Once I get my DSLR I will let yeh all know and upload my pictures.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful support.
It mean's a lot. :wave:

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Phill. Thank You for your feedback m8. Smashin stuff. I had a look at the links you posted in. I have decided not to go for the 4000D now and have been reading up on the 2000D instead, especially as I compared both the 4000D and 2000D and I prefer the 2000D more, although I am still researching so it's getting closer now for me to finally own my very first DSLR. I can feel it in my waters. Not long to go now but I just need to be sure.

But yeh cheers for the heads up on the newer sensors. Great stuff. Hmm, I like the 200D now as well lol.

Once I get my DSLR I will let yeh all know and upload my pictures.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful support.
It mean's a lot. :wave:
It looks as if you've just about made up your mind, which of course is totally fine(!), but I can recommend you have a decent look at the 7D and the 24-105mm lens. I'd wager that the image quality will be vastly superior to the 200/2000D set up.

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It looks as if you've just about made up your mind, which of course is totally fine(!), but I can recommend you have a decent look at the 7D and the 24-105mm lens. I'd wager that the image quality will be vastly superior to the 200/2000D set up.
Well, the 7D is wwwaaayyyyyy out of my budget range, although worth looking into. But yeh I am nearly there.
Not long now.

Cheers

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well, the 7D is wwwaaayyyyyy out of my budget range, although worth looking into. But yeh I am nearly there.
Not long now.

Cheers
New it is but not second hand - it's £186 and £344 for the lens.

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ah right, well when I google the canon 7D I am seeing used camera body for around the price you mentioned but brand new is yes way out of my budget range. I won't do the second hand. That's a no go. But yeh send us a link for the new Canon 7D. It be interesting to see as I can't find one for the price you mentioned. Cheers.

@Snips. The Canon 7D with Canon EF 24 - 105 mm f4 L IS USM Lens is VERY TEMPTING lol. Have you purchased off Wex? Also, why is the 7D so cheap for a second hand, considering its original price?

Never mind. I took a chance and in the last few moments just purchased the Canon 7D with the Canon EF 24 - 105mm f4 L IS USM Lens. 12 month warranty too. It was the warranty that pushed me to buy it. I thought for the second hand was maybe around 3months tops? Nice 1, so yeh cheers snips, for pointing me in the right direction to this bargain.

Keep in mind this is my very first DSLR and I always wanted nice crisp pictures so thought what the hell, just do it. I went for standard delivery, so I will do some reading first on the basics n stuff. I will keep you updated when I get it and will upload some photos.

Thanks.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Snips. The Canon 7D with Canon EF 24 - 105 mm f4 L IS USM Lens is VERY TEMPTING lol. Have you purchased off Wex? Also, why is the 7D so cheap for a second hand, considering its original price?
Many times and 99% of what I buy is second hand. I have a photography business and am never worried about second hand when bought from a good dealer. Wex is my favourite. They’re not the cheapest but they have a warranty on their equipment sold (including 2nd hand) and they’re knowledgeable when you phone them asking for advice.

If you phone them to ask about comparing the 7D and 200/2000 I’m sure they’ll give you much help and I’m sure if you ask, they’ll let you have a trial run as well. It is in their interests to keep you happy after all.

The 7D is the first of two 7D’s and the earlier models of cameras are usually always cheaper. When I first joined the forum the 7D was a popular new purchase and, in my opinion, in the last 5-6 years there hasn’t been that much of a change in image quality for the “run-of-the-mill” DSLR camera for producing prints up to A3 size. For example the 6D Mk2 is not really any better than the Mk1 except it has one or two more useful features.

I can well understand you wanting a new camera but in my experience I’ve always found better value for money in second hand and I’m not frightened of buying good quality second hand which, I think, is very different from just buying cheap.

imagesBV

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
You get a great Lens there and a very capable body...good for action too which is where the 7D scores well above others (you might not need that capability but its there if you need it) ...and its a more ergonomic body than XXXD and XXXXD bodies.....a cracking first serious set-up. For another £75 second hand I'd consider the EF 50mm f1.8.....you can get really shallow depth of field which is a real bonus for creativity etc.

imagesBV

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I assume it comes with the original battery....one thing to note...if you buy a third party battery the Canon charger might not charge it....in which case you'll need a third party charger.....not a big cost but a bit annoying.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Snips. Hmm, well I know buying second hand is buying potential trouble but an interesting thought all the same. So cheers for that and the links, as well. I will have a gander.

Cheers.
All my camera gear is pre owned some I have bought direct from others and they have all been immaculate and at bargain prices care is needed when buying.

I have also purchased from WEX and MPB https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/ both reputable companies with the comfort of a guarantee.

I have saved significant amounts of my hard earned cash using this way of tooling up. for example a fuji camera body new would have been over £1,000 at launch but 2/3 years down the road same kit was between £150 and £200 and at launch was raved on but new models had come available as they do ...........motor cars and camera bodies drop in value very quickly............on the other hand good quality lenses do not and can potentially appreciate in value.

Don't be put off with not being new in box.............in my experience on the few occasions I have bought new I have invariably had dead on arrival or some manufacturing fault that required a fix.

Good luck with whatever you go with

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@imagesBV .Ah yeh beat me to it. I deleted the post as I found, yeh it comes with all the necessaries in the original box. So yeh all should be ok. Oh yeh and will check out the EF 50mm. Thank you for your feedback. It means a lot.

@Snips. Cheers for your comforting inspiration. I feel your words m8. Also, reading where you put of the A3 prints, well this is another reason why I wanted to buy my new camera as I would like to sell my prints. Have them showing in clear plastic sleeves on my website, that sort of thing. But yeh all wonderful information to soak up, and knowing I got the heads up about Wex and the bargain too, and the best part is that it is from the support of yourself and others in here, so that in itself makes it my peace of mind knowing I am in the right place.

The 1-year warranty though really does make it much better, as well.

@paulmag. Well, as I was checking out the cameras constantly at the site where my links are shown in OP. I was, of course, looking at the more expensive cameras and well, it was wrecking my head lol. But when snips put those links in I thought, my goodness me, when I saw the original price for the 7D and lens too, I just couldn't shake off that exciting knot in my belly to just buy it, so just went with it and now I am glad that I did. Anyway thanks for the link you posted and for your comforting input too. Cheers.

Oh yeh, anyone recommend a shutter button cable? I have been looking at them on eBay as I want to buy a tripod too.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Oh yeh, anyone recommend a shutter button cable?
You don’t need one for most cameras now as you can set the timer to take the photo in 2 or 10 seconds (on a Canon). You might be better off saving around £25 for a couple of YongNuo triggers RF 603C which can be used for off camera flash too but definitely can be used for shutter release in the meantime.

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You don’t need one for most cameras now as you can set the timer to take the photo in 2 or 10 seconds (on a Canon). You might be better off saving around £25 for a couple of YongNuo triggers RF 603C which can be used for off camera flash too but definitely can be used for shutter release in the meantime.
Ah yes, I forgot about the set timer. Thanks for the tip.
I will look into the YongNuo triggers RF 603C.

Hmm, maybe I can edit my order on Wex and add a tripod, or mono pod?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well, that's strange, I saw the payment go through when I purchased the camera and lens, but still haven't received my confirmation email, and it is showing on my Wex account that my order history is empty. Is this normal? Cheers.

Update.
Ok I just found that I get the email once the item leaves the warehouse for delivery, but I would have thought I would get an email anyway. Anyway I am now in chat with the customer service.

Last edited:

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It can take an hour or so but they're not the sort of company to run away with your money :)

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It can take an hour or so but they're not the sort of company to run away with your money :)
I just received my confirmation email with the order number and details.
So it's all good. :banana:

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well, my camera got delivered earlier. The battery is just charging now [red light blinking] No software, or lead to hook up the computer came with it so a little disappointed. So now have to find a lead, oh and the memory card needed is much bigger than the one I usually use.

But overall I am very pleased with the camera and lens and my goodness me its chunky aye. Certainly feel the original price in it I know that much. Quite a beast really compared to the other camera I usually use. But yeh just need to find a lead so to hook up to the computer. Just checking the memory cards needed now. Will nip out tomoz and pick one up in Argos.

Update: I found a lead that fits, yaayyy... Just need to get a memory card now. I will do it tomoz.
So will do some reading up tonight.

Last edited:

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If your pc or laptop has a memory card slot you can take the card out of the camera and pop it in there and download your pics that way.
You have yourself a good camera and a fantastic lens there …. looking forward to seeing some of your first images on here.

Paul

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Oh and I think you can download canons EOS utility and Digital Photo Professional from their web site just quoting your camera serial number, and if you need instructions they are available also.

richy photo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If your pc or laptop has a memory card slot you can take the card out of the camera and pop it in there and download your pics that way.
You have yourself a good camera and a fantastic lens there …. looking forward to seeing some of your first images on here.

Paul
There was no memory card that came with the camera and I thought maybe I could use my already existing one from my other camera, but the memory card needed for the canon 7D is much bigger. So just been reading on what to get tomorrow.

And thanks so much for the info on the canons EOS utility and Digital Photo Professional. I never knew that. Brilliant stuff.

Thanks

Update. I just in the last few moments installed the software., so cheers heaps for your help Paul. Also, the battery charged and the camera is sweet. So far so good. I just need to get that memory card.

Last edited:

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ah just found out that the 7D used CF cards so your computer probably wont have a inbuilt reader, but the standard USB to mini usb cable should be ok.
Link here ... https://asia.canon/en/support/8200578400