• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Which Tamron 15-30mm Filter Holder System?

HeadWest

Hello all,

Please advise me which filter holder system to get, to fit Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 lens. Reviews of filter holders from Lee, Nisi, Breakthrough, Haida, Wine Country, Benro, H&Y, Formatt Hitech etc have been sketchy, specifically for the Tamron lens. So people, please pass on any information you have and help me decide what to go with. I don't mind if the filter holder can use third party ND filters or not. I'd also prefer a system that allows a CPL and two ND filters.

Thanks for your help.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I would suggest none. I have Formatt/Hitech ND filters and I have not used them in years now. I do the exposure blend in software in cases I would have used an ND Grad. I use ND filters, but I use screw on (same for CPL). I buy the filters in the largest size for any of my lenses and then use step down rings for smaller lenses.

HeadWest

DonS, thanks for your reply.

Tamron 15-30mm is like the Nikon 14-24mm in that it has the petals shaped hood. So, screw on filters is out of the question.
Also, I want to use 10 stop or 15 stop ND filters for long exposure photography.

Perhaps to expand it a bit, people here could suggest which filter holder system works well with their Nikon 14-24mm. I'll then make an assumption that the filter holder system will work equally well with the Tamron version from that same company.

Thanks.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
I have the Nikon 14-24 and the Sigma Art 20mm 1.4 both with bulbous front elements and I use the Lee SW150 filters but only because when I first got the 14-24 5 or 6 years ago it was the only system available that would fit. It works well but the cpl is a square filter which necessitates rotating the holder to get the effect you want which means you can't really use grads at the same time. This isn't much of an issue for me as I almost never use grads as I always bracket and blend and only tend to use solid 3,6 & 10 stop filters.

The Lee holder is daft money as are the lens adapters, I have one for the 14-24, 20mm and one which drops the whole system down to a 77mm thread so I can with the help of a few step down rings use it on every lens I own but there's the best part of £270 invested in those three adapters. The Lee filters are pretty costly too, the cpl and 10 stop are around £160 and most of the other solid nds are upwards of £100.

The other downside is only having 2 slots which if the cpl is in one there's no option to stack ends.

Jim (@Blofeld ) has just got the Benro system and I really like that you can fit the round cpl filter beneath and rotate it independently of the holder and also save your slots. I have only seen a few pics so far and gave no idea on cost but it looks a better idea than the Lee kit. I'm sure Jim will be along to comment soon...

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
DonS, thanks for your reply.

Tamron 15-30mm is like the Nikon 14-24mm in that it has the petals shaped hood. So, screw on filters is out of the question.
Also, I want to use 10 stop or 15 stop ND filters for long exposure photography.

Perhaps to expand it a bit, people here could suggest which filter holder system works well with their Nikon 14-24mm. I'll then make an assumption that the filter holder system will work equally well with the Tamron version from that same company.

Thanks.
It is not the lens hood that is the problem, it is the front lens element. I did not know that it was a bulbous one.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
A friend uses the 15-30 with the Nisi system. The holder works really well in that unlike the LEE he had before there is no vignette noticeable. It is not cheap and he has also found that LEE filters are quite tight in the Nisi holder. Other than that is works and fits really nicely, and is very well made.

I use the 100mm Nisi system and quite like it. I also tried Haida and Lee holders but both cause severe vignettes on my 10-22. I have not tried the new Lee holder, it may have improved. For anyone considering the Nisi system, the rear CPL holder is excellent but a little fiddly with cold hands to install the CPL. Other than that it is top notch. I do find though the Nisi filers seem easier to scratch than the LEE and Haida. That may just be me as I am not gentle with them.

Blofeld

Forum Photobomber
As @Minor Problem mentioned, I have the Benro 150mm filter holder. I felt the Lee holder system is overpriced, and I've heard a few niggles mentioned to me which also swayed my decision.

The Benro holder locks onto the lens hood nicely, (Sigma 20mm 1.4 with fixed hood) very secure... just have to be careful not to push the holder on too far as there is no stop to prevent you putting it on far enough that the hood hits your filters on the front! (The CPL is fixed in place beforehand).

The filter slots on each side of the holder are removable, taking these off allows you to add a CPL between the holder and the filter slots, this means that even with filters inserted you can rotate the CPL independently of the holder and filters which I really like. Although, if you want to shoot with filters and no CPL you have to take it apart to remove the CPL. This is easy to do as it is only 4 screws, but would be a pain to have to do it out on location.

From main stream dealers, the holder is around £200 and the CPL is over £100. I purchased the holder and the CPL from another source for £175. They do a holder for each of the lenses with fixed hoods.
Benro also do a "tent" hood cover which will sit around the edge of the filters and around the lens body to prevent any light leaks.

HeadWest

Thanks all for your advice. I think I'm leaning towards the Benro system, at least for the holder and the CPL.

I think the magnetically attaching filters, like the H&Y ones, seem like a good idea. Anyone on this forum used such a system (on any lens)?