• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Your best shots

Onyx

Chatting to a fellow member of my camera club recently, he told me that the shots he considers to be his best work are shots he spends a considerable time pre - thinking about; where they’re shot, the composition, time of day, what gear he uses etc etc ..... One of his best recent images (it’s brilliant, I have to say) is a composition shot made up of sky from one location, buildings from another, people from a third etc all layered together to make the final image. Fair enough if that’s what he likes to do, he had a picture of the finished image in his head before he started and worked to create his vision: the results are great, but I don’t think I could ever be that organised if I’m honest. I’m far too impatient ..... not a great characteristic for a photographer!

My best shots (the ones I feel are my best work, anyhow) are all “one shot” wonders, taken quickly, as opportunity presents itself, of subjects which happened to present themselves in the moment I was there. I can honestly say I have never pre-meditated a shot and gone out to a planned location or at a specific time precisely to (attempt to) capture a specific image of a specific subject. Rather, I just go along to a location and see what happens when I get there. Sometimes lots of good things; sometimes nothing at all. Of course this means I have lots of “almost, but not quite right” images on my hard drive, but, every now and then a good one appears.

The great thing about photography, as a hobby, is that each of us can make of it what we will. But I’m just interested to know who is a “one shot” type photographer like myself, and who spends time pre-planning shots with a clear goal in mind before they start - location, timing etc.

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Shooting weddings, you don't really have time to set up long laborious shots.
If I want to make composite photos I usually plan a bit but have never got what was in my mind.
I usually shoot what is there the best I can. Sometimes it works.
My favorite shot was of my grand daughter and my Fox terrier on hind legs trying to get a sweet.
My best shot, don't really know. It depends if the subject likes it I suppose.
Personally, I just enjoy the execution of it all, including post production

Snips

Always on
I "get" much of this (hate that expression by the way!)

For me, shot of the day is usually unexpected. I'll plan the day sometimes, especially weddings, but not to the tiniest detail as I like flexibility and know that things change on the day. For me most of my work is photographing horses in a competition of sorts so I'll aim for the normal shots that most people want and what I'm paid to do. I'll also try some experimental shots from time to time (not everyday) and sometimes my best shot is one of my normal ones and sometimes it's a totally unplanned, arty shot. (At least what I think is arty :) )

Yes, sometimes what I plan is the best shot but if I'm honest most of the time the best shot is unexpected. Also, to be honest, I'll know as soon as I've clicked and before I've had a look in the back of the camera. 6th sense will make me look and think, "Oh - that's quite a good one!"