• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

A flying great white shark: Chris Fallows’ best photograph

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
ehh, amateur fish photography if you ask me...;):exit:

I read that article earlier and I have to say it is amazing and all the more so as it was done with a film camera!!

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

I read that article earlier and I have to say it is amazing and all the more so as it was done with a film camera!!
I am amazed it was taken on a film camera ss well!
Pfff - amateur. The horizon isn't level. ;) :exit:
A bit ''judgey'' :rolleyes:

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Classicbiker

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Film cameras are really good though. A Nikon F5 would nail this kind of shot all day long.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Film cameras are really good though. A Nikon F5 would nail this kind of shot all day long.
Not sure what he shot it on and I don't have a lot of experience with film but without knowing where a shark would surface I would have thought getting focus would be a big issue, also don't forget he was shooting from a moving platform too. In the article he states he has been at sea for 3500 days and this was the best he had/ has ever gotten in 20 years.

That said googling the F5 it does seem like its got the ability on paper although I still think you would still need a healthy dose of luck and skill in equal parts to nab something like this with it.

Classicbiker

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Not sure what he shot it on and I don't have a lot of experience with film but without knowing where a shark would surface I would have thought getting focus would be a big issue, also don't forget he was shooting from a moving platform too. In the article he states he has been at sea for 3500 days and this was the best he had/ has ever gotten in 20 years.

That said googling the F5 it does seem like its got the ability on paper although I still think you would still need a healthy dose of luck and skill in equal parts to nab something like this with it.
AF on film cameras was good on the pro stuff. I had a Nikon F5, it could burn through a roll of film in 4.5 seconds This image comes from lots of patience and just being there.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That shark is a blow up plastic job.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Worth watching the how they did it section of blue planet and blue planet 2. They did a section on how they got the shark film for that. Done in a place known as shark alley. There are two islands with big seal colonies. The sharks swim through looking for lunch. For the BBC shoot they dragged a fake seal behind the boat until sharks attacked it.

*edit - It was Planet Earth 1 & 2, not blue planet.

Last edited:

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A bit ''judgey'' :rolleyes:
Although it isn't level - it was meant as a joke. Hence the smiley. :doh:

It would have been hard to get straight on a moving boat anyway, but if it was mine I'd have corrected it in PP.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

It would have been hard to get straight on a moving boat anyway, but if it was mine I'd have corrected it in PP.
I knew it was a joke ….duhhhh :chicken_dance:

skullfunkerry

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Yeah, I mean all he needed was a sharp pair of scissors! :D