• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Black Dogs are a Nightmare ?

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Or is it just me ? 1/1250 sec. f/5.6 182 mm ISO 400.
There is no image with your post. If you were not able to post it, it needs to be 1024 pixels max on the long side, and file size no greater than 250kb otherwise you won’t be able to upload it.

Vincent John

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
There is no image with your post. If you were not able to post it, it needs to be 1024 pixels max on the long side, and file size no greater than 250kb otherwise you won’t be able to upload it.
Wouldn't have a clue what 250kb is in truth but I have reduced it from 4.7 to 1.1 MB cheers.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Its a great action shot. Is he/she yours? I have a border terrier who is nine and still is a headless chicken.

Vincent John

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Its a great action shot. Is he/she yours? I have a border terrier who is nine and still is a headless chicken.
Thanks he is a 5 Month old Racing Greyhound Puppy and yes he is mine . I find Black dogs difficult especially when moving and it is movement I enjoy freezing.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I imagine he would be a hand full to catch in focus at full speed. One thing you might consider is upping your ISO to allow you to shoot at a faster shutter speed.

Vincent John

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My preferred shutter speed for moving Greyhounds is normally 1/1600s default f/4 . I tried 1/1250 and f/5.6 because I hoping to catch him and his sister in focus in the same frame. My hope was that would help keep the digital noise down . Also I have found Auto Iso is frequently better than me . Another thing I have found is Black dogs attract digital noise .

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Another thing I have found is Black dogs attract digital noise .
Could be that black will have more shadows, and as you probably know noise resides in the shadows

Vincent John

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Could be that black will have more shadows, and as you probably know noise resides in the shadows
Yes I think that's part of the problem you are asking the Camera to focus in a
shadow ? . They are easy for me to muck up in light room too . So I try not to do too much there .

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Noise is not something to fear, when considered as one factor of the exposure triangle adjusting aperture and shutter for a properly exposed image. Underexposing a high ISO shot then trying to raise it in post is where you get in trouble. I regularly shoot at higher ISO levels when needed. For example here is one at ISO640
December 202020201229_3848.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Another at ISO 800
Kymulga Mill by William Raber, on Flickr

and a heavy crop of one at ISO 3200
Mobile Bay by William Raber, on Flickr

It's all about managing the exposure triangle to get the best exposure for the shot at hand.

Vincent John

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Noise is not something to fear, when considered as one factor of the exposure triangle adjusting aperture and shutter for a properly exposed image. Underexposing a high ISO shot then trying to raise it in post is where you get in trouble. I regularly shoot at higher ISO levels when needed. For example here is one at ISO640
December 202020201229_3848.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Another at ISO 800
Kymulga Mill by William Raber, on Flickr

and a heavy crop of one at ISO 3200
Mobile Bay by William Raber, on Flickr

It's all about managing the exposure triangle to get the best exposure for the shot at hand.
Very nice dog is a terrific subject. I am self taught as I imagine many people are . I am a technophobic type as well so I have to be careful in lightroom and I can't even get photo shop to work. My ambition is to try capture nice clean sharp action. My main subjects at the moment are my two pups unfortunately they are both Black .

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Do you use any exposure compensation eg +1 stop to compensate for the black?
Nice photo.

Vincent John

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Must admit I haven't tried that with black dogs no . I will give it a shot next chance I get thanks .

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Very nice dog is a terrific subject. I am self taught as I imagine many people are . I am a technophobic type as well so I have to be careful in lightroom and I can't even get photo shop to work. My ambition is to try capture nice clean sharp action. My main subjects at the moment are my two pups unfortunately they are both Black .
None of the examples I showed you were overly processed. Mainly a few standard adjustments I make based on the shot. I wanted to show you that ISO is just as important in managing the exposure as aperture and shutter. The first one of Sadie, was shot mid-day on a bright sunny day. This was HSS 1/2500, f/5.6, ISO640. This let me manage the dynamic range of the subject/background, and as you can see only minimal noise. The second shot of the mill was also bright midday sky with the mill slightly in shadow, raising the shutter to 1/1000 let me kill some of that ambient background. Finally the last was just after sunset. I needed that 1 second shutter to bring in the ambient and smooth the waves, while the high ISO let me raise my aperture up for DOF.

Black is a color no different then white, (or any other pure color for that matter) in the digital RGB world, it's 0.,0,0 vs 255,255,255 for white. Everyone knows that if you blow the whites there's no data there but few comprehend that once you exceed pure black 0,0,0, there are no more details. The other thing that comes in is the dynamic range of the camera. If the DR of your scene from the deepest shadow to the whitest highlight is say 16 stops and your camera is only capable of recording 13 stops, then highlights or shadows are not going to be recorded. That black dog with all those little rich details in its fur becomes a blob of black.

Manage your DR, and learn to use a histogram to read where your are. Learning how your camera tools work can help, as mentioned above exposure compensation can be very helpful, but in adding or subtracting you need to understand how that adjustment will ultimately affect the exposure triangle.

Vincent John

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
None of the examples I showed you were overly processed. Mainly a few standard adjustments I make based on the shot. I wanted to show you that ISO is just as important in managing the exposure as aperture and shutter. The first one of Sadie, was shot mid-day on a bright sunny day. This was HSS 1/2500, f/5.6, ISO640. This let me manage the dynamic range of the subject/background, and as you can see only minimal noise. The second shot of the mill was also bright midday sky with the mill slightly in shadow, raising the shutter to 1/1000 let me kill some of that ambient background. Finally the last was just after sunset. I needed that 1 second shutter to bring in the ambient and smooth the waves, while the high ISO let me raise my aperture up for DOF.

Black is a color no different then white, (or any other pure color for that matter) in the digital RGB world, it's 0.,0,0 vs 255,255,255 for white. Everyone knows that if you blow the whites there's no data there but few comprehend that once you exceed pure black 0,0,0, there are no more details. The other thing that comes in is the dynamic range of the camera. If the DR of your scene from the deepest shadow to the whitest highlight is say 16 stops and your camera is only capable of recording 13 stops, then highlights or shadows are not going to be recorded. That black dog with all those little rich details in its fur becomes a blob of black.

Manage your DR, and learn to use a histogram to read where your are. Learning how your camera tools work can help, as mentioned above exposure compensation can be very helpful, but in adding or subtracting you need to understand how that adjustment will ultimately affect the exposure triangle.
Thank you for the detailed explanation one of the pitfalls for anyone who may be largely self taught like myself is our own poor teaching. I was warned when I first decided to buy a camera and have a go that Photography was very technical (6 yrs ago).

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you for the detailed explanation one of the pitfalls for anyone who may be largely self taught like myself is our own poor teaching. I was warned when I first decided to buy a camera and have a go that Photography was very technical (6 yrs ago).
I started in the 60's, took a 20 yr break, and came back. I was sort of like Rip Van Winkle, from film to digital, but in the end realized that basics and principles are still the same. I try to never stop learning.

Alex7200

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Vincent John, what camera? Mind nikon (and others) has a setting for automatic adjusting blacks. So that setting must be at a minimum, or else the camera will lighten up black, at the cost of noise.
On the other hand, black color metering must be underexposed (as snow must be overexposed).
Also, my first didital mirror camera was a 400 dollar one (sony a390), which could not handle black well (red noise) even at 100 iso at close up pixels. Iso 400 sucked already.
So type of camera, what iso setting, what camera settings for blacks, the solution could be in a little corner where you least expect it.
You can try to meter the light of the sand, (hold that) and not metering the dog.
The long lens (180mm) is also eating light.
Possible you have to make a magic soup out of this, try it, and the result will hopefully be black dog with detail and maybe little post processing.

My Nikon D7200 now, eats black with beautiful high dynamic range.. so the costs of the body which has good DR and high iso quality, certainly helps.
The pictures i make with a cheaper Panasonic TZ-40 can not deliver like that.

Do you use any exposure compensation eg +1 stop to compensate for the black?
Nice photo.
Minus one it must be for black.

Last edited:

Dusty

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Personally, I think black dogs are great! The light on their coat creates so many different colours. Yes, if you under-expose, you can lose the detail to pure black, but that is rare with a decent camera.

this puppy is pure black but looks almost brown in the sun:

https://flic.kr/p/FUQ8Av