• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Consolation prize

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I went down to Rutland to capture the Ospreys fishing. Unfortunately, they had different ideas, and didn't show. However, there were a few other birds to snap in their place, though, as it was very early morning, the ISO was up in the >1000s
Not sure about the B&W one - doesn't quite look as it did in my head, so let me know how I could improve it?
All comments welcome, of course!

1)
Soft light egret.jpg

Black egret.jpg

Avocet.jpg

Kite.jpg

Kite flying.jpg

Cormorant and trout.jpg

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Its a great set Pete. Being a fly fisherman, the cormorant with the trout should make my blood boil, but its a great shot.
Re the mono Egret, perhaps just a tiny rise in the shadows around the bird? But its a tricky one.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Not a bad shot amongst them, particularly liking the first Kite shot you can just imagine the call it is making. The B&W shot works for me. It isolates the bird nicely although its beak does tend to disappear into the black bg. I expect if it was seen full sized it would be easily discerned from the bg.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Its a great set Pete. Being a fly fisherman, the cormorant with the trout should make my blood boil, but its a great shot.
Re the mono Egret, perhaps just a tiny rise in the shadows around the bird? But its a tricky one.
Thanks Brian - this one took 3 within the space of a couple of unites, and his mate came down shortly after and did the same. Who'd run a fish farm, hey? I'll try the shadows lift - good idea, cheers.
Not a bad shot amongst them, particularly liking the first Kite shot you can just imagine the call it is making. The B&W shot works for me. It isolates the bird nicely although its beak does tend to disappear into the black bg. I expect if it was seen full sized it would be easily discerned from the bg.
Thank you Ryan - the kite was noisy, right enough! Thanks for the input on the mono...I'll try Brian's suggestion and see what happens

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Excellent series Pete!

Taboo

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No

johnnypanic

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Wonderful set of images.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Another wonderful set of photographs from you. Re the mono would portrait work instead? It would never have occurred to me that something wasn't working if you hadn't have said. Really like the first one.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Wonderful set of images.
Thanks Johnny!
Another wonderful set of photographs from you. Re the mono would portrait work instead? It would never have occurred to me that something wasn't working if you hadn't have said. Really like the first one.
Cheers Edward. You know, I think you have hit on it with the mono...I shall have a play - thanks! Yeah, the first has great light, and looks far better on the full version!

Isac

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Love 'em all Pete! All worthy of a place on the wall. With the BW, I'd get some more light on the beak just to complete the birds features and perhaps the upper legs. Not sure about portrait. The bird with its poised stance and forward gaze needs that space as an integral part of the image's framing and balance. Just my thoughts mate, cheers.

Last edited:

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Excellent work on all Pete. No 2 is great for me!

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Lovely set Pete!
Wonderful captures.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Love 'em all Pete! All worthy of a place on the wall. With the BW, I'd get some more light on the beak just to complete the birds features and perhaps the upper legs. Not sure about portrait. The bird with its poised stance and forward gaze needs that space as an integral part of the image's framing and balance. Just my thoughts mate, cheers.
Thanks Greg! I'm slowly getting to the idea I wanted with the mono, thanks to all the suggestions!
Excellent work on all Pete. No 2 is great for me!
Thank you Mike
Lovely set Pete!
Wonderful captures.
Cheers Shawn