• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Curious about something. (kinda minor)

CauseNEffect

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
First off, if this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know and direct me where to...

There is a set of photos out there that, on the website Alamy, claims they were all taken on the same day, and I ask because they clearly all appear to be related to a photography studio/portrait studio (looking at his photos, also finding where he is), rather than it just being images done on the fly.
The photos are best found here, and it seems this is where they originate.

Again, according to Alamy, these were apparently taken on the same day.

I ask because is this actually doable? At least on this grand of scale when you work in a portrait studio? Granted I am no expert on how this works, but I am pretty sure they have to work on a time schedule, and can only do one set of photos a day, and I am almost certain there is a larger number of photos related to each set here. I have found other photos of this nature where some sites have more in their collection, and plus, as elaborate as they appear to be, (well most of them anyway, one set, in particular, is oddly kind of makeshift looking) this really isn't something you just snap four or five photos of. You make the best of it. I know the main site they originate from uses those dates as to when they were uploaded, so I am not sure if it would actually be doable, or at least not advisable, when you do all these, and upload them on the same day.
I also suspect they had some time span between them because in one they are wearing summer clothes, but in another, they are outside and it appears to be fall, looking at the ground.

Again, this is minor, and not really important, probably not worth asking, but I am just curious as to how this works, and if what is given is really relating to the actual date taken, or if they go by upload date, or possibly something else I am not aware of and may be curious to know.

Thanks.

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day mate

As this is your first post here - Welcome to the Photography Forum

As to your question - you are referencing images from an image stock library. It is quite possible for a competent image-maker / photographer to create a series of images following a particular 'theme' or 'thru the day' or whatever. Most pro photographers will use a model for all the time-paid-for / arranged ... and I certainly have created several hundred images of a model over a 90 minute session. From that number it is easy to select a sample set of 'goodies'

Hope this helps
Phil

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi and welcome,
Going by the EXIF data in the shots on Westend61 the images were taken on the same day (Feb 13th) over the course of 3ish hours, the early ones look to be shot outside and then they seem to move to an indoor studio as the afternoon winds up. It is completely normal to do multiple costume changes in a shoot across various sets/ close locations in a single day or in this case 3-4 hour session which the exif data indicates.

Alamy seems to give the date uploaded as the 'Date taken' which is the 23rd.

CauseNEffect

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
G'day mate

As this is your first post here - Welcome to the Photography Forum

As to your question - you are referencing images from an image stock library. It is quite possible for a competent image-maker / photographer to create a series of images following a particular 'theme' or 'thru the day' or whatever. Most pro photographers will use a model for all the time-paid-for / arranged ... and I certainly have created several hundred images of a model over a 90 minute session. From that number it is easy to select a sample set of 'goodies'

Hope this helps
Phil
Hey, thanks for the welcome, and info. :) Yeah, I am not super familiar with how the stock library type of stuff like this works. Just curious since it all seems to connect back to a portrait studio located in Germany where anyone can sign up and get their picture taken. I only have experience at portrait studios in store for family portrait, and personal portrait type stuff, and in those you have to have only a select few at a time, as there is a number of people that wait in line, and you need to do only so much at a time. But I was not sure how different that was, especially considering there are photos where they dress up and go outside, while others seem like personal professional portraits.

CauseNEffect

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Hi and welcome,
Going by the EXIF data in the shots on Westend61 the images were taken on the same day (Feb 13th) over the course of 3ish hours, the early ones look to be shot outside and then they seem to move to an indoor studio as the afternoon winds up. It is completely normal to do multiple costume changes in a shoot across various sets/ close locations in a single day or in this case 3-4 hour session which the exif data indicates.

Alamy seems to give the date uploaded as the 'Date taken' which is the 23rd.
Interesting. I happened to have some of these photos downloaded, and I looked at the properties and noticed they list a very similar thing, but they list the date taken as March rather than February. The only issue with that, however, is the fact that there is two different photos in another set that claim they were taken at the exact same time, but they feature one model, and the one in there is wearing completely different clothing, but that image appears to be a smart phone image, so maybe the time was set wrong?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Interesting. I happened to have some of these photos downloaded, and I looked at the properties and noticed they list a very similar thing, but they list the date taken as March rather than February. The only issue with that, however, is the fact that there is two different photos in another set that claim they were taken at the exact same time, but they feature one model, and the one in there is wearing completely different clothing, but that image appears to be a smart phone image, so maybe the time was set wrong?
Apologies I had a brain fart moment, I meant March.
I only briefly scanned them but I only saw a Canon 5D being used from what I recall. As for the times being set wrong, who knows. They are images on the internet and their provenance is pretty hard to prove one way or the other. There are lots of ways exif can get scrambled both intentionally and unintentionally in the post processing stage.

CauseNEffect

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Apologies I had a brain fart moment, I meant March.
I only briefly scanned them but I only saw a Canon 5D being used from what I recall. As for the times being set wrong, who knows. They are images on the internet and their provenance is pretty hard to prove one way or the other. There are lots of ways exif can get scrambled both intentionally and unintentionally in the post processing stage.
No problems. ;) It happens to all of us.

As for the time stuff, yeah, that is all I can figure. The camera is, indeed, a Canon EOS 5D Mark II, with later photos having a Canon Mark III. I have looked at the times on some of them, and, while some seem plausible, some seem rather unlikely, and too close to each other. Some of them have them in different rooms with different clothes, and with different people, so, unless there's more than one photographer, which these things claim is not so, there is some off-timing here. That one with one person being in different rooms, in different clothes at the same time, unless that person has the ability to teleport, and spin-change her clothes like she's Sailor Moon, it's unlikely.
I still somewhat question that March date. I am no expert in seasonal conditions, but the ground conditions in the leather jacket one have me thinking it was taken during the fall (Oct/Nov, to be more precise), but I am no expert in that kind of stuff. I still see some leaves right now, in January, but those leaves look a little fresh and new to be mid-March, unless someone can tell me otherwise.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No problems. ;) It happens to all of us.

As for the time stuff, yeah, that is all I can figure. The camera is, indeed, a Canon EOS 5D Mark II, with later photos having a Canon Mark III. I have looked at the times on some of them, and, while some seem plausible, some seem rather unlikely, and too close to each other. Some of them have them in different rooms with different clothes, and with different people, so, unless there's more than one photographer, which these things claim is not so, there is some off-timing here. That one with one person being in different rooms, in different clothes at the same time, unless that person has the ability to teleport, and spin-change her clothes like she's Sailor Moon, it's unlikely.
I still somewhat question that March date. I am no expert in seasonal conditions, but the ground conditions in the leather jacket one have me thinking it was taken during the fall (Oct/Nov, to be more precise), but I am no expert in that kind of stuff. I still see some leaves right now, in January, but those leaves look a little fresh and new to be mid-March, unless someone can tell me otherwise.
Do not judge what time of year it is based on what is in the photos. You know the photos for those Christmas ads you saw a month ago? They were probably all taken in the summer or early autumn.

CauseNEffect

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Do not judge what time of year it is based on what is in the photos. You know the photos for those Christmas ads you saw a month ago? They were probably all taken in the summer or early autumn.
Yeah, I am aware. It's not so much that. It is the fact that the ground is littered with leaves in a way that does not resemble that time of year, at least not what I am aware of. Perhaps when we get there, I will pay closer attention, but they don't look that much decomposed. Even right now, in January, the leaves don't look as thick as they do here. I suppose they could be artificial, of course. Also, the ground looks fairly green, and, by March, the grass is often very brown looking, though it could be editing making it look that way. That is all. The one with them in the summer clothes is, of course, no indicator to anything, as they could have easily just put those on for the picture. I did question it briefly, as, before I had people explain things a bit better, I wasn't sure how elaborate these things worked, and if that is what they came in wearing, and they just threw stuff over what they had.

Last edited:

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
What I would like is that we are told where the photo was taken , for example ,Belar beach where is it ?