• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Edixa Mat Flex Mod B shutter not working

Huttles94

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and to photography in general.

I have recently acquired a Edixa Mat Flex Mod B camera.

The problem is, is that the there is a problem with the shutter. When I advance the film the shutter does not "engage" and instead when I release the film advancement lever, the shutter does not do what is it supposed to. I cant really describe it very well so sorry if there is some confusion.

I have found that if I turn the camera upside down and shake it whilst gently giving the shutter speed dial a slight tap, it will sometimes actually work, though only the once.

So basically, when I advance the film the shutter does not engage or cock and instead as I release the film advance lever the shutter closes and acts like I have not advanced the film. Though when I turn it upside down whilst shaking and tapping the shutter speed dial, I then turn the camera back over, advance the film once again and then it works but just the once and I then need to repeat the process.

I hope that this means nothing is broken and that it only means the camera needs a good service. But I am a complete novice so any help or ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thank you

Jake

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Without having your camera in hand here, it's hard to tell if it's one of the earlier or later Mod B designs. The earliest ones did not have an automatic mirror return after shooting, so that advancing the film and cocking the shutter actually popped the mirror back into position for the next shot.

I'm guessing from the fact that turning your camera over and shaking it will reset, then it's possible that it's a mirror problem. One of the mirror actuating levers inside may be stuck, gummy, or broken.

Huttles94

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have tried taking the camera apart. I have got the lever off and the shutter speed dial. I then have taken off the cover. I then pushed the shutter release button to see if anything is working and I am sure nothing was happening. There is a metal plate that is screwed on with two screws from the front, I removed that and below it was a metal bar that seems like it is supposed to move when the shutter release button is pressed. It is screwed onto the camera with a screw that has a odd spring on it. I removed it to see what was happening. The camera is now in bits on my bench. I thought I figured the problem when I tried putting the metal bar back on with the spring is a position where it hooked around the front of the bar and applied tension (I think). Sadly now the camera seems to have jammed. I tired turning the advance film lever and it got stuck, then it returned home and now it wont move.

I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this camera, shame since it is in lovely condition, at least cosmetically. As for the model, it just says Mod B.

Here are some photos of the camera and its internals: