• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Ensign 'All Distance' 120 camera queries

Squire Robert

Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Hi,
I have recently bought a 1930's Ensign 'All Distance' camera which takes 120 film. From what I understand the shutter is circa 1/125s and the three apertures are small - f16, medium - f11, and large - f8. So with that I can take some photographs to see how it performs, the image size I believe is 6cm x 9cm and I can expect 8 exposures on a roll.
My dilemma is how do I increment the knob to wind the film on to avoid getting overlapping exposures or large gaps between exposures.
Has anyone got experience of this and any other pointers or advice on using this camera?
Thanks..... Glyn

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My dilemma is how do I increment the knob to wind the film on to avoid getting overlapping exposures or large gaps between exposures.
That camera uses 120 roll film so just watch the numbers on the back as you advance. Those films are paper-backed with incremental numbers on the paper.

Squire Robert

Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Thanks roger, are the numbers 1 to 8?

Paul G

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If this, as you say, takes a 120 roll film, then to the best of my knowledge most, if not all, cameras of this vintage will have a small clear red window in the back of the camera. It is simply a matter of winding the the film on until the next number appears in the window. The film will then be correctly positioned for the next shot.
(caveat : Please be aware that I haven't used a 120 roll film since the 1960's).

Squire Robert

Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Yes Paul, it has a small red window. I have been advised to keep this covered as modern emulsion is far more sensitive to light than previous Films in the 30’s.
Your answer is similar to Rogers so I will use the numbers and see what develops, if you will excuse the pun.

MJHMTL

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Yes Paul, it has a small red window. I have been advised to keep this covered as modern emulsion is far more sensitive to light than previous Films in the 30’s.
Your answer is similar to Rogers so I will use the numbers and see what develops, if you will excuse the pun.
I shoot with an old Brownie camera quite often as well as with a RealitySoSubtle pinhole camera that both have the little window at the back. I only open it when I'm loading or advancing the film and have never had any troubles with it. Hope it works out for you, it looks like a really fun camera!

Pwl

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Can’t wait to see the pictures you take