• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

First gig shooting a cricket match

JamieF

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Offered a gig shooting for a local cricket club, and i am trying to figure out how to shoot it. I have a Canon 200d and will be using my 70-300mm zoom. I have settled on a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec with the lens wide open. ISO will be set to auto. I am going to be shooting with a tripod and a shutter release with the camera set to continuous mode.
For batting shots i will position myself off to the side of the wickets and 15' down pitch from them to get a slight angle. For bowling shots i will position myself right behind and slightly to the left of the crease, shooting straight down the pitch at the oncoming bowler. The camera will be 1 meter to 1.5 meters above the ground and i will be sitting on a chair (less distracting to the players) monitoring everything on my tablet using Canon's Camera Connect software.
So, anybody got any suggestions? Am i taking the right approach here? Any ideas about shooting the fielders?

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Your exposure strategy is correct. However, a 300mm lens may not be long enough. I’ve done cricket with a 150-600mm lens and at 600mm I still had to crop in to full the frame with the bowler or batsman. You will have to be able to pan quickly to get the fielders. I found if I was focused on the batsman or bowler, it was very difficult to then move to an active fielder. Good luck.

JamieF

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My camera is an APSC so wouldn't that mean I was shooting at a 35mm equivalent of 460mm? Or am I mistaken on this principle?

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My camera is an APSC so wouldn't that mean I was shooting at a 35mm equivalent of 460mm? Or am I mistaken on this principle?
The principal is correct, but your 200D has a crop factor of 1.6. Therefore 300 X 1.6 = 480 on a 300mm zoom would equal 480 mm compared to a 35mm camera.

JamieF

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well, i was close, lol. Thanks for the correction Roger. I have to use the lenses i own and that one is the longest I have. I will be going out Thursday to take some shots at a different club while they practice so I should be able to see how well the setup works. Funny thing is I don't even like cricket. :)

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Funny thing is I don't even like cricket.
Funny thing is, I've never seen a cricket match, though I would love to at least once.

JamieF

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Take a comortable chair and a good book. Think of it as baseball on sedatives.
Actually, thats kinda unfair, it's actually quite a dynamic game. Some Australian fast bowlers can send the ball down the pitch at over 120mph, thats FAST! The fielders don't wear gloves, they catch the ball in their bare hands which is pretty gutsy considering how fast that ball comes off the bat. It can be a somewhat dangerous game. I am going to make sure I am in a location that minimizes the possibility of being struck by a ball, spectators have been injured on occasion.
If you get a chance to see a match try to go with somebody who knows the game, they can explain the nuances to you.

Trevor Gale

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
For the bowling shots I'd wear a helmet and watch out when there's a spinner bowling!!! ;-) Seriously, I reckon catching the action on bowling shots may be something of an art as the trajectory of the 'action' can change rapidly, especially when a fast spinner is bowled, and the reaction of good batsmen at the crease can be quite fast. I'd be interested to know of your set-up for depth of field. Good luck and let's hope we see some of the results.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Think of it as baseball on sedatives.
If it helps, I shot these at 1/1000 sec. and 105mm. I was set up around 15 metres to the left of the batter's box hoping for left handed swingers, although some of the right handed ones came out not so bed. The trick is to watch the pitcher (bowler in your case) and start a 5 shot burst the very moment the ball leaves his/her hand. This was a slow pitch game so your timing may differ.

Ball27.JPG

Ball32.JPG

Ball34.JPG