• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Future forum competitions on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classicbiker

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The degree of effort it takes to produce anything is not the point. Compare "modern art" to "realism" for instance. One can take 5 mins to paint the other many hours. The appeal of the art work has noting to do with time or even skill to be honest. Art by its very nature is subjective. I would say"Thats actually insulting to those who go out of their way to spend time and energy to produce an image, or go out in wilds and spend hours waiting for that right moment " is and unfair statement because no one does this under duress, it's a hobby and "for fun" other than paid work I have yet to make a photograph because I had to..I always do it because I want to, I'm not always sure why I do it but that's not the point :)

Last edited:

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Less than that and they are just spectators and nothing more. Thats their choice and as spectators they dont get to vote.
Excuse me? From time immemorial, governments have been formed by the spectator (the one not running for office) voting for or against a representative. If that's not the case, then said government is either dictatorial or military. These forum comps are neither of the above.

As said above, a couple of times already, our software does not have any provision to allow only certain blocks of members to be able to vote. Well, there is a way if I chose to set it up, and that involves invitations to only certain people into private groups while disallowing the rest of you the ability to see what's going on inside. That's not happening as long as I have a say in things.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Its tough trying to explain myself without coming across as an asshole, a trouble maker, or someone who is caring enough of this forum to try to get it back on its feet. Ok how about I narrow down what I see is not right. For a monthly contest people should not be submitting their favorite shot. Because how do you compare a photo of a soaring eagle, to a favorite photo of ones dog, or a glorious sunset over some incredible canyon, which includes a glorious waterfall or one of those spiders that makes some people ill? If everyone starts off on an even basis, and has to shoot a pre chosen subject then the only difference between the entries will be the creative powers of the photographer. Everyone would have the exact same opportunity to produce their finest shot based on the same subject as everyone else. Now when the entries are made the identity of the photographer should be left out so voting is based on what gets posted not by who does the posting. This leaves it open to everyone including admins, mods and members. In this case it doesnt matter who votes if they dont know who took the photo. So voting is open to everyone. That should make everyone of the few people who actually vote happy. So contests based on a theme, anonymous entry, open voting. Now everything is fair and equal for everyone. Or am I missing something here. Oh when the Sunday post gets sent out to everyone, announce the contest and to check for details. This at least makes everyone aware when its taking place.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Its tough trying to explain myself without coming across as an asshole, a trouble maker, or someone who is caring enough of this forum to try to get it back on its feet. Ok how about I narrow down what I see is not right. For a monthly contest people should not be submitting their favorite shot. Because how do you compare a photo of a soaring eagle, to a favorite photo of ones dog, or a glorious sunset over some incredible canyon, which includes a glorious waterfall or one of those spiders that makes some people ill? If everyone starts off on an even basis, and has to shoot a pre chosen subject then the only difference between the entries will be the creative powers of the photographer. Everyone would have the exact same opportunity to produce their finest shot based on the same subject as everyone else. Now when the entries are made the identity of the photographer should be left out so voting is based on what gets posted not by who does the posting. This leaves it open to everyone including admins, mods and members. In this case it doesnt matter who votes if they dont know who took the photo. So voting is open to everyone. That should make everyone of the few people who actually vote happy. So contests based on a theme, anonymous entry, open voting. Now everything is fair and equal for everyone. Or am I missing something here. Oh when the Sunday post gets sent out to everyone, announce the contest and to check for details. This at least makes everyone aware when its taking place.
You've come up with some cracking ideas and if you see this new competition I've just announced hopefully you'll appreciate how some of your ideas have been incorporated into it. There's a road in Birmingham called Sarehole Road and you're definitely not that ...!! :grin: :grin: We're all entitled to our own opinions and thoughts and good on you for expressing some ideas.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
What you are suggesting is a different type of comp. Having a fixed subject inevitably leads to less entries, but does end up with some great shots. That kind of comp certainly has merit and is well worth a go.

Favourite shot type comps IMO are fine. One month I see a shot of someone’s puppy dog, the next some ICM, the next some street. There is still often a lot of imagination involved and often no matter the subject, an image that stands out. At least that is how it feels for me.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
What you are suggesting is a different type of comp. Having a fixed subject inevitably leads to less entries, but does end up with some great shots. That kind of comp certainly has merit and is well worth a go.

Favourite shot type comps IMO are fine. One month I see a shot of someone’s puppy dog, the next some ICM, the next some street. There is still often a lot of imagination involved and often no matter the subject, an image that stands out. At least that is how it feels for me.
Yes its always nice to see good shots of birds and family pets and flowers. But they can get posted daily. For the monthly contest however, the theme should be determined by an admin, or a voting system, but not so it gets too complicated. Birds and cats and flowers are certainly not off the table, as long as everyone is trying to shoot the best shot of the bird or cat or flower. And over 12 months that leave room for other things to shoot as well.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes its always nice to see good shots of birds and family pets and flowers. But they can get posted daily. For the monthly contest however, the theme should be determined by an admin, or a voting system, but not so it gets too complicated. Birds and cats and flowers are certainly not off the table, as long as everyone is trying to shoot the best shot of the bird or cat or flower. And over 12 months that leave room for other things to shoot as well.
There is the weekly challenge comp - https://www.photography-forum.org/forums/the-weekly-challenge-forum.241/

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The problem with the weekly is its based on a particular admins favorite subject. But if the weekly contest doesnt amount to anything other than recognition of an admins favorite pic then its of little concern. But monthly will accrue points towards the year end Photographer of the Year.
This is a different weekly challenge. Maybe visit it to see what it is about.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Its tough trying to explain myself without coming across as an asshole, a trouble maker…….
You’re not coming across well at the moment
The problem with the weekly is its based on a particular admins favorite subject. But if the weekly contest doesnt amount to anything other than recognition of an admins favorite pic then its of little concern.
I’m case you don’t actually understand, the subject changes each week, so I have 52 favourite subjects? Good job I can remember all 52 of my favoutrite subjects to post them
Btw: look at this thread
Are there any subjects you want in the challenge?
It has been ‘thrown open’ for members to choose a subject, until recently it took 3 months for anyone to reply, but those that have chosen/suggested a subject are having their choices put in.
Perhaps you might actually look at forums and threads before you make such statements.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes I didnt come across because you didnt understand what I said or meant. People post whatever they want and an admin sees something he likes and makes it photo of the week. But that has nothing to do with the monthly contests so it is of no concern. Agreed? Sorry you see me as an asshole and trouble maker. I will endeavor to shut up and let you carry on.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes I didnt come across because you didnt understand what I said or meant. People post whatever they want and an admin sees something he likes and makes it photo of the week. But that has nothing to do with the monthly contests so it is of no concern. Agreed? Sorry you see me as an asshole and trouble maker. I will endeavor to shut up and let you carry on.
Your participation is more important than how you may come across. As long as there have been forums/newsgroups on the internet there have been misunderstandings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.