• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

GODOX Flashes - Can someone help me figure it out.

the voyager

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I don't know the Godox range too well but heard they are hands down better than main brand flashes as they use their own lithium batteries that can be recharged and they last a long time. I don't want to be buying AA batteries for the rest of my life. What is the best solution here?

I am after 2 speed lights that can be triggered off camera.

Would you suggest a package if they do them or buy separately?

I am looking at the TT685C but have no idea as they have so many models!

I am living in Cyprus and I never knew it was so difficult to get things posted here!

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Absolutely no expert here...
But, they do make energizer batteries that are re-chargeable with a charger fairly cheap. I have used them and they work well.
Second- flashes are like cameras. In a sense. My suggestion is to make sure it has ttl and hss.
Find a set with the camera attacheable reciever.
And.. look into how much power you may need.
The one you are looking at looks promising- great price also. My only suggestion would be see if you can get a package of two and the reciever. And take a look at energizer recharge pack.
I have had purchased flash brand type battery pack before (came with it) and had troubles charging them.
Along with many others.. .

the voyager

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
This is a great article...

Answering my own questions here :D

the voyager

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I think the V860II is the one for me with its lithium ion battery.

Anyone used the V1?

the voyager

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No

Good deal?

Are these transmitters essential? Best to buy as a pair? I can't find a set of these flash units.

I am going to get 1 of these v860ii and receiver and a transmitter..

I am just lost in a sea of godox products on their website!

Any suggestions on triggers and receivers? the XPRO c is looking very tasty!

Last edited:

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I use Godox speedlights and strobes. I control them all with the XPro - it's very good and very easy to use.

Several other retailers are selling Godox kit with their own name and putting the prices up (plus offering warranties - Lencarta for example), so that's a consideration too.

Unless you have money to spare or intend to take LOTS of photographs in one session, I'd avoid the rechargeable speedlights due to cost. Extra battery packs are available, but they're not cheap. For what I need, rechargeable Eneloops are plenty good enough. However, recharge times are slower when compared to the larger battery packs.

If you let us know what your intended use is going to be, I/we can offer better advice to suit to your requirements.

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Something I still don't get is...

..since a X1-T can fire ANY godox off camera flash.such as an AD200..then can it also fire a make specific flash for a different cmaera make...if the flash is off camera.

ie... if a X1-T C and fire a non make specific AD200 off camera, can it fire say a V860ii S off camera?

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes. All modern flash lights can be triggered by using them in Optical Slave Mode. Then any flash triggered in the vicinity will optically trigger them. Of course you won't be able to do this if there are other photographers nearby as their flash will trigger yours.

Another downside is if you want to use TTL you won't be able to - you'll have to use manual. Not a great loss as IMO TTL is more hassle than it's worth in multi flash setups anyway. Besides, it nearly always gets the exposure wrong.

By far the best way to use flash is to have a controller that is dedicated to your camera so you can adjust each strobe separately from your camera, this is why the Godox system works so well. There are plenty of other systems around of course, but you'll pay between three and ten times the price depending on your brand choice.