• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

Please be aware when you sign up, we carry out strict IP screening as an anti-spam measure. We confirm if where you say you are from is where your IP address is located. If you sign up using a TOR node, VPN or proxy, you may be subject to rejection at sign up. If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  • Reminder for signatures: Please remember only premium members are allowed to display links in their signature
    If you are a non premium member and want to display a link in your signature you will need to upgrade to premium membership.’ 
    Non premium members who are found displaying signatures will have them removed without notice
    Please refer to forum rule 2 about signatures

I thought, can I get something out of the clutter?

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I saw this, not sure what type of boat it is.

I only had my 75-300mm Canon kit lens with me, I saw the clutter but thought I could see a crop from it, not realising at that time there was some items to remover, this was my first attempt at editing out/healing in PS.

Original image

220521_A3363_RNLI_Boat_1024_JPG.jpg

Canon D5 Mark4 - Canon 75-300 kit lens @ 300mm - f/7.1 - 1/500sec - ISO 100

220521_A3363_RNLI_Boat_1024_JPG_Exp.jpg

Comments always welcome

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You did a pretty good job with the edit. A little soft but this will be down to atmospheric effects so there isn't much you can do about that.

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks David,

Taking the mast off the small boat behind was harder than removing the items in the water.

I think I should have focused more on the boat knowing I planned to try editing, cameras was also on auto.

Paul

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good first clone effort. Being picky there is a repeating pattern diagonally just under the lower yellow thing. Should be able to break that up with a selection from somewhere else.

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Tenchy,

I don't mind people being picky, it is how we learn. It was my first attempt so I expect comments.

I didn't know whether clone or healing brush was best, or how bigger section I should cloned, my thinking was the bigger the section the more obvious a repeat would be.

Thanks again for your comments.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good effort Paul - very good effort in fairness.

And, not wishing to be patronising as many a time he helped me on my way in the early days, good to see that Tenchy hasn't lost his touch at finding the small details that could be improved upon. Perfection does matter in the end when it comes to quality and digital photography is no different.

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Perfection is what we strive for, but learning must come first.

I spent two months reading and watching training videos by professionals, it wasn't until I picked the camera up and attempted to use it that I realised how much practice is needed.

I ask myself did I do the right thing learning first, I think so, February and March were cold months, but i know until the technical and practical knowledge gel together there is a lot of practicing and learning required.

I am very deaf but a good listener, I am also a constant assessor of what I do, I am also extremely grateful for the comments, help and encouragement I get from this forum. Thank you all.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You've done a pretty good job there. Isolated the boat very well. Agree with the above, but the learning curve for the close tool is very steep!

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Also look at/ google the content aware tool in photoshop for removing objects.

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You've done a pretty good job there. Isolated the boat very well. Agree with the above, but the learning curve for the close tool is very steep!
Thanks Pete,
I am trying, (my wife can confirm that)
At present I am concentrating on the camera, I keep having a look at LR and PS and have the occasional play with basic items, but learning as much as possible with the camera is my priority for now.
I did have PS7 in the past for basic graphics, but the new versions have advanced so much.

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Also look at/ google the content aware tool in photoshop for removing objects.
Many thanks for the info.

I have searched and found what you mention, I have added to favourites to come back to, learning these things one at a times helps as I am concentrating more on the camera at present. Thanks again.

gdeloach

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Very good job with your edit. Since you enabled editing to your image, I gave it a quick shot. This was done with the clone tool and was not too difficult. Using these tools takes practice and there is no substitution. Keep up the good work. You'll get there.Boat.jpg

SharonH

Always on
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A beautiful boat!

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks all for your comments

Isac

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I had a play as well, because that's what I do :)
As @tenchy mentioned, when cloning, you need to avoid repeats. The edit I did below (besides brightening & colour adjustments) was using the "Spot Healing Brush" tool and "Content-Aware Fill" edit tool. No cloning. When you have a large section of something that's colour and texture constant like the water area at the back of the boat, you can make a selection of that area, copy it, move it to the new area and then mask with a soft brush to hide the contrasts where it joins. I also flipped the copy horizontally and it seemed to work OK. I didn't worry about the mast in the second boat.
P.S. I'm always here to help with Photoshop any time, so feel free to ask.
220521_A3363_RNLI_Boat_1024_JPG-E.jpg

JWMT

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)