• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Competition Entry Image of the Month for October 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Rules of IOTM:

1. Read the rules

2. One entry allowed per member

3. The closing date for entries will be Monday 1st November 2021 at midnight - this will allow any photos taken late on in the month time to be processed and entered into the competition

4. Entries must be taken in the current month of October 2021 to qualify, and EXIF will be required in the photos to verify this. Photos without EXIF will be removed from the voting stage

5. Post your entries directly below into this thread

6. After the closing date for entries a new voting thread will be created for members to vote on

7. LINKED IMAGES WILL BE EXCLUDED - Please only post images directly into the thread

8. Please do not comment on individual photos posted. PLEASE NOTE THE THREAD IS FOR THE POSTING OF IMAGES ONLY, AND IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Still open for entries.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Four days left for entry, only one entry so far.

Last edited:

Paul G

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
(I did this for my local photography club when we met on 12th October. We have a fortnightly project. The topic here is 'Distortion'. I haven't entered before. I'm not sure whether the EXIF shows?)

Warp 3.JPG

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm not sure whether the EXIF shows?)
Sorry Electra not seeing the EXIF.
Is the image 1024px or under on it's longest side and under 250kb in file size?

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Sorry Electra not seeing the EXIF.
Is the image 1024px or under on it's longest side and under 250kb in file size?
No, it's bigger! I've just installed EXIF Viewer for Chrome. I'll resize and try again...

Thank you, Ryan!

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'll resize and try again...
Closer, now instead of 'Exif not found' the fields are there but empty.
Is the file size under 250kb? Sometimes but not always if the file size is really close to 250kb i.e. 245-250kb the exif will still get stripped. Otherwise if you are using layers to create this shot in PS the image need to be the lowest layer in the stack when you save as that is where the exif will be taken from in the outputted jpg.

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Closer, now instead of 'Exif not found' the fields are there but empty.
Is the file size under 250kb? Sometimes but not always if the file size is really close to 250kb i.e. 245-250kb the exif will still get stripped. Otherwise if you are using layers to create this shot in PS the image need to be the lowest layer in the stack when you save as that is where the exif will be taken from in the outputted jpg.
The size is well under 250 kb; it's about 130 kb. I wasn't using layers and I don't use PS or Lightroom; I use Paintshop Pro, Silkypix (sometimes) and FastStone Image Viewer. As I said, I've installed EXIF Viewer for Chrome. Is that where the problem might be? Thanks for helping; I'd like to learn how to do this and I've read a forum thread that's related to this issue.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As I said, I've installed EXIF Viewer for Chrome. Is that where the problem might be? Thanks for helping; I'd like to learn how to do this and I've read a forum thread that's related to this issue.
An exif viewer for Chrome won't be the problem, might be PS pro or Silkypix but I don't have any experience with those. Perhaps @hooferinsane or @Roger S might have some ideas?

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I use Paintshop Pro, Silkypix (sometimes) and FastStone Image Viewer
Perhaps @hooferinsane or @Roger S might have some ideas?
I use ULead PhotoImpact 10 which is the engine that Corel uses in it's PSP. (Corel bought out ULead a few years ago). I will try the 30 day trial of PSP to see if I can work out how the exports keep or don't keep the EXIF. I'll get back to you on this later.

Paul G

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The size is well under 250 kb; it's about 130 kb. I wasn't using layers and I don't use PS or Lightroom; I use Paintshop Pro, Silkypix (sometimes) and FastStone Image Viewer. As I said, I've installed EXIF Viewer for Chrome. Is that where the problem might be? Thanks for helping; I'd like to learn how to do this and I've read a forum thread that's related to this issue.
Is it possible that you have a windows settting that automatically removes EXIF data. I know you can remove EXIF when posting imagesfrom Windows machines so there may be a setting that does it automatically for all images.

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Is it possible that you have a windows settting that automatically removes EXIF data. I know you can remove EXIF when posting imagesfrom Windows machines so there may be a setting that does it automatically for all images.
Hi PAG52!

Thanks for your help :)!

I've just checked that. I have Windows 10 and the EXIF data shows unless you deliberately delete it. This link was useful:

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The size is well under 250 kb; it's about 130 kb. I wasn't using layers and I don't use PS or Lightroom; I use Paintshop Pro
I downloaded PSP trial and did a test on one of my pics. It was resized to 1024 and "save as" JPEG at 240kb. All the tick boxes were automatically set to preserve EXIF. I then posted that pic to the forum and all the EXIF remained intact, so it does work.
PS, I have the latest version of Windoze 10 - 64 bit, 8 gigs of ram on an Acer desktop.

Electra

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I downloaded PSP trial and did a test on one of my pics. It was resized to 1024 and "save as" JPEG at 240kb. All the tick boxes were automatically set to preserve EXIF. I then posted that pic to the forum and all the EXIF remained intact, so it does work.
PS, I have the latest version of Windoze 10 - 64 bit, 8 gigs of ram on an Acer desktop.
Roger ~ Thanks for this - very useful to know. This pic was edited in FastStone Image Viewer (very good free program!), which saves EXIF. It was shot in RAW and converted to JPEG. The EXIF shows up in File Explorer.

Look, delete this entry for now and I'll try again, either later in the month or in the November competition. I've got a degree in Modern Languages from about a century ago and I did an IT Diploma in 2012 - I'm sure there's a bit of brain still left somewhere :D!

I've got to go and cook dinner for a friend now (yes, I can cook as well!) so I'd better get cracking. Thanks to you, Ryan and PAG52 for your help; I've had a very educational afternoon:)!

Merci beaucoup, Elizabeth

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@rebel06 Sorry Paul but you don't have any EXIF showing on that shot.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Now closed for entries. The voting thread will appear shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.