• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Jet skier

Elma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

This was taken a few days ago on the beach here in JBay, some jet skiers were having some fun in the waves.
It was taken with a Canon 40D and a Tamron 70-300mm lens. It was a very sunny morning roughly about 10am, so unfortunately quite a bit past the glorious "golden hours".

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You seem to be having a problem linking your photo, Elma. Try uploading it instead.

Elma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Roger, yes I seem to be having some trouble. How do i upload instead?

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Roger, yes I seem to be having some trouble. How do i upload instead?
Make sure the picture is on your own computer, and it is 1024 pixels or less on the longest side, and under 250Kb. Then, in the reply window here, click the mountain icon up at the top and attach the picture. Make sure to click the "full image" tick box and you're done.

Elma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Jet skier1.jpg

Thank You Roger, I seem to have managed it! I hope it's not too big.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

slipper

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good timing.

u8myufo

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You have certainly managed to capture the action @Elma and the jet-ski and rider look sharp enough.At the same time I cannot help but notice the rest of the image looks slightly washed out.Would I be right in thinking the original image was underexposed a bit?And in attempting to bring out the detail of the ski and rider the rest of the image is suffering a bit.Like any subject such as this,it is alwasy best to have the main source of light behind you so you have an even source of light.There is a pretty strong shadow falling on the ski which makes me wonder if this was perhaps the cause of it.Although the water spray is nice coming off the back,it is much better to get the subject head on showing expressions on the face of the rider.A good effort though :)

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good to see some space in front of the jet skier, making the photograph more dynamic.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As @Snips has said good to see some space on the right.... but I think the jet skier is a little too central so a bit more dead space on the right would help ... imo ... so had a play with your image to show what I mean .. .hope you dont mind and I will remove if you prefer now that I've shown what I meant.
Jet skier1a.jpg

Paul

Elma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Paul, no worries if I ask for a full critique I'll take any and all of it. I see what you mean. It does look better.

Elma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Someone mentioned it would be nice if the rider was facing me the camera. I agree, although with that shot my main goal was to capture the action and unfortunately most of that was taking place away from me. But, and please yes critique will be appreciated, some other images I did capture that does have the riders facing me.
Jet Skiers1.jpg Jet skier5.jpg
Personally I liked the symmetry in the first one, the two jet skis in the front and the two at the back, both sets doing almost exactly the same thing at the same time.
The close up unfortunately doesn't have as much space in front as would have liked, but I'm not at the point where I can expect to have my cake and eat it, so to speak.