• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Juvenile Starling

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The bird looks nice and sharp.

LeeTH71

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
The bird looks nice and sharp.
Phil thanks, I am still learning any help is appreciated, I'm willing to be taught if there is a focusing issue in the image or anything that can point me to solve the problem

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
With wildlife the hard part is learning the subject, how they move and how to get them at the best moment. The getting them sharp bit is easy by comparison. Both just take time and practice, and can be easier if you have a like minded soul to go out shooting with.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice shot. It also helps to keep an eye on the background so you don’t end up with a stick poking out of the bird’s head.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Now this is much better than your other image.
I see this was taken back in july ... was it with your 80D and Sigma lens ... how long have you had your recent set up.

LeeTH71

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Yes Mate 80D and Sigma 100-400

If you zoom in the bird isn't as sharp as it looks. I see images very close up and they are really sharp (other people's images)

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I can't say I see any glaring need to micro adjust for the lens, the bird is certainly sharp(assuming that was the target ;) ).
When you say other peoples images look sharper close up how big were these images? I ask because the flickr image you have linked to is only 1920x1080px which speaks to a crop or resize. There would be a world of difference zooming into a 6000x4000px image( the maximum resolution of the 80D) and the 1920x1080p image you shared.
If that is the full image on Flickr, were you using S2 jpg quality as that creates images that are 1920x1080px?

Last edited:

LeeTH71

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Hi RyanB
The image was shot in RAW
How can I check the S2 jpeg quality?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If it was shot in RAW and you haven't cropped or resized the image should be 6000x4000px. The jpg quality setting will be in the menu under image quality but if you are shooting in RAW on its own it won't be creating a jpg at all. Unless you have it set to shoot both RAW and a small jpg. How are you processing the RAW files?

LeeTH71

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
I haven't processed them, I thought RAW was a better quality image.

Should I revert to jpeg only

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I haven't processed them, I thought RAW was a better quality image.

Should I revert to jpeg only
You can't be shooting in RAW then, RAW files have to be processed at some point before you can upload them to Flickr as it doesn't support RAW files. Is your memory card filled with CR2 files or jpg or maybe both?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
RAW files are quite literally the RAW output of the sensor which is saved in a CR2 file. To view or edit this file on a pc you need an editing suite with a codec to read the RAW file which is specific to the camera. The editing suite will then allow you save the RAW (.CR2) as a .jpg, .tiff, .png or whatever you want and it is capable of saving it as. The Canon software will do this for you if you haven't downloaded it already.

To save confusion for now I would switch to the best quality JPG and see how you get on.

LeeTH71

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes as I said flickr cannot display CR2(RAW) files so you must have either processed one into a 1920x1280px jpg or you are shooting in S2 quality and the resulting jpg is what you have uploaded.
When you connect the camera/ SD card to your pc what files are on it? CR2 or JPG or Both?

Edit** IS that a screenshot of the sd card from your 80d attached to your phone or an image you downloaded from your flickr account?

Last edited:

LeeTH71

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
The screenshot is from the internal memory of my phone. I sent the image via WiFi from the camera direct to my phone.

Re pc, I have just bought a new laptop which I am in the process of setting up, so I will have a look on the SD card once I'm up and running.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I sent the image via WiFi from the camera direct to my phone.
Ahh, so in that case you need to look at your image quality settings in the camera menu. Make sure it is set to L Fine or L Normal. This will give you the largest size JPG the camera can produce and you can worry about shooting in RAW and all the processing bits and pieces in due course should you want to.

Last edited:

LeeTH71

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
RyanB thanks so much for your help, you guys on here have learnt me a lot already for which I am grateful. I continue on the road to get a sharp image with my kit.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
So to get this right, you are sending the image via wi/fi to your phone and then uloading that to flickr and this forum?

LeeTH71

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
So to get this right, you are sending the image via wi/fi to your phone and then uloading that to flickr and this forum?
Yes Mate, I will post a screenshot of the Starling image info from the back of my camera below.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Slight correction here:
Paul's question got me thinking and it looks like even if you shoot in RAW if you are wirelessly transferring the shots the camera will save the RAW as a jpg. So you might actually be shooting in raw but your transfer method is doing the conversion for you but outputting small jpgs. Connect to the pc with a cable and you should see the CR2 files and have the whole 6000px image to work with.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Its the wireless transfer creating the small jpgs then.
Connect with a cable and you will see the full image using the canon software. Or switch to L jpg and skip the RAW processing but the wireless transfer will be SLOOOOW.

LeeTH71

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
I have changed to jpeg now Mate, took a quick shot and instead of nearly 30MB it is only 8MB now. My images are still not sharp so still a problem somewhere

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have changed to jpeg now Mate, took a quick shot and instead of nearly 30MB it is only 8MB now. My images are still not sharp so still a problem somewhere
JPG are much smaller files than RAW files so that sounds about right. Put the shot up on Fickr and we'll have a look.