• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Last one to post wins

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
C'mon laddie, it's time to think positive.

Trevor Gale

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nay, it's nothing to get all charged up about...

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
no need for that negative attitude

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You just need to get grounded.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
What on earth you talking about

Trevor Gale

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Now before reading my explanation do realise that some people do question my sanity (they are wrong of course) as I sometimes get my colours mixed up (it's my glasses and I have blue eyes) and I also find many meanings quite illogical (they are). For example, I was pulled over by a cop on the road last week who said I was wrong by driving through a red light - well of course I drove through when it was red as that showed that other traffic was halted; I'm not so stupid as to drive through a green light that indicates that other traffic could be driving across the road I was on! I also take proper care at yellow lights, which warn drivers of the danger of low sunlight which can blind other drivers on the road. It amazes me that some cops don't understand the logic of traffic lights which are there to assist drivers is using the roads safely in such circumstances. He was going to write out a ticket but when I explained this logic to him he clearly understood as he went back to his radio and contacted the local police station to request medical assistance, probably for a new psych evaluation or some up-to-date training or whatever - I'm not sure where he went as I drove safely home, obeying the minimum speed limit signs all the way as usual.

Anyway, as a qualified electric and electronic engineer (I graduated many years before my accident) let me return to the subject of gardening and the ground, which we were talking about. Don't actually do any of the things I discuss here as one has to be qualified to do them, it's dangerous to look at too-bright colours or mess around with all the coppers that are involved.

Steve, you have to understand that Roger was talking about an electrical ground. The way we handle electrical wiring is becoming more or less standard now, for example we have the colour codes for wiring like blue or white = neutral return (like the sea), brown or black = ground (the colour of earth), and green/yellow striped = 'live' (the stripey colours attracting attention to the danger of the 'lively' current). So "earth" is treated the same as "ground" (the brown or black wire in cables). You see, in a typical house installation the 'ground' wiring is connected to a metal ground dug down into the earth, sometimes in the garden.

One can verify this in action, for example by taking two wires from a lamp to a fusebox and connecting one to the green/yellow wiring and the other to the brown or black wiring. The lamp will light, showing the current going from the 'lively' wire (green/yellow) to the ground, the darker wire. In practice the normal way of connecting things like lamps like that is to wire them to the blue or white wire (like the sea) and the brown wire (the ground), the reason being that at the power station, all these sea/wave-coloured wires are connected together and led out to sea in a large conduit that spreads the sheer amount of return energy into the sea, which is enormous, but still means that all these blue or white wires have an awful lot of energy in them.

The sea acts like an extremely large area of ground, because even though one can't walk on it the seawater is in direct contact with all the earth underneath it. Water is a good conductor of electricity but still has a resistance, and one can see this effect near the shore - there are many rolls and waves rushing around near the shore (the crests of these waves look white which is why some 'return/neutral' wiring is also white) and much of this is due to those enormous currents from the power stations returning to ground through he sea, again showing why there's so much energy in those blue or white wires.

That is also why there are mainly fuses in the house fusebox that are connected in series with the brown or black wiring - these prevent too high a current going into the garden ground and causing a local warming: high currents like that are not good for many plants, including red roses. Some older wiring still has red wires, these are also ground but they were adopted in the days where typically there would be camp fires around and they looked rather red when they were burning on the ground. Nothing to do with the red roses that might be in the garden.

I do hope that my expertise in these matters clears things up for you and answers your question. If you still have any questions relating to this ground issue, I do recommend a visit to your local garden centre where they'll know an awful lot about earth and ground, for example how fertilizing the ground can help things.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've called you doctors for you and told them you are out of meds

Trevor Gale

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No need - it was early in the morning and I hadn't taken them yet. I'm all right now, no longer seeing red anywhere. Though I am often asked why I stop at green lights: it's because my twin brother could be speeding on the crossroad...

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I still insist that you must be partaking of the natural remedy which is made available to us as a result of heating the Cannabis plant to extract Delta-8-Tetrahydrocannabinol compound.

Trevor Gale

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The only like remedies that I have been using right from childhood (I kid you not) are tetrodes - they're quite warming - together with pentodes and triodes. All in glass envelopes. There were an excellent remedy for my otherwise becoming somewhat bored - I was 6 - 7 years old when I messed around with a 6K7, a 6K8, followed by a 6SN7 with a 6V6 sound output. Used a pair of toy trainset transformers, one giving me the 12V that I was allowed, the other used backwards to get back the 230V that I wasn't allowed(!) with a rectifier valve (tube) probably something like a 5Z7 - it made a kind of radio that sometimes worked!

Went on to use the smaller valves and at 9 yrs old made my first 'stereo' with a record-layer deck in a wooden cabinet - 2 x EF86's record preamp, ECC83 tone control, 2 x ECC83's amplifiers and splitters, with two pairs of EL84 pentodes as the push-pull output stages. Later on a got into using those silicon-based drugs, quite addictive they were too, called "transistoirs"...

One could call that a 'wierd upbringing' (which for another reason it actually was, wouldn't wish it on anyone, whole 'nother story) but that kind of interest got me interested in science, maths, physics, electronics at an early age which led me to taking a very challenging but rewarding path into my career!

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
All I was concerned with at that point in time was the cutting and splicing of various lengths of braided steel and copper wire in order to achieve the smallest standing wave ratio attainable in the transmission of radio frequency voltage.

Trevor Gale

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Oh I had no real idea of what "standing wave ratio" even meant at that age, I was given an army surpus receiver (R107) when I was 9 and of course I just wanted the longest wire I could have as an antenna! I wasn't allowed one like a neighbour of ours back then - before I got into receivers I couldn't understand why his wife's washing line was so high and long, and puzzled as there was never any washing on it! That good neighbour had noticed that I was often in the back end of the garage making 'noises' and mentioned to my father that I'd be welcome to come and see his ham station, which I did, and of course that was when the bug really bit!

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My father had been a forestry surveyor for the Alberta government before that time and had regaled us kidlets with stories of tossing an antenna wire over top of the telegraph lines in order to transmit his reports from way back in the mountains. Of course curiosity and common sense determined that I should challenge such claims. That was one of the first times that I researched everything I could (in my Dad's own survival manuals) just to prove a person wrong and myself right in regards to exaggerated claims made by a person in authority. Ten years later, I enrolled in the army as a communications operator.

Trevor Gale

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Reminds me of the time I spent at a certain 'R.A.R.D.E.' (Royal Army Research and Development Establishment) as part of my becoming a man, as it were. Never will forget being told to "report to [Sgt. xxx] in Stores and pick up a supplies package" which I duly did, this 'package' felt like a typical pack of butter you'd buy at the dairy shop. As I went to leave he casually said "Careful you don't drop it, it's new stuff, that. No detonator though!" I nearly **** myself walking all the way back so very, very carefully! Of course when I got back to the lab building there were a dozen blokes laughing their arses off at me! Did learn a great deal at that time though. My father hardly spoke a word about his time in the army during the war, it's since I left home much later that I've learned more about what he and his compatriots went through and where.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I just popped in to say Hi. Busy, busy.

Trevor Gale

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm also just popping in to say 'hi'; just back from getting 'popped' with my 2nd Covid vaccine injecton (Moderna). Time for my afternoon (3pm) nap too.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I just got back from London again for the second day in a row. Those denturist appointments take far less time than the time it takes to drive that far.

Trevor Gale

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
London two days in a row? Ontario, I presume... I've not even dreamt of going to London (England) twice in a week! Not that I would want to either, these days. Last time I was there was in 2018, three times in 4 months, a week each time; it wasn't a pleasure. And to think I used to enjoy going there, typically to Tottenham Court Road or Edgware Road for the many electronics stores there back then - all gone now. By coincidence my father started as a dental technician and went further in dentistry ending up in London as the senior lecturer for up-coming dental professionals! I hope it all went well. Often wished to visit Canada but I've left it a bit late in the day and also become tired of all the travelling I ended up doing in my career, waking up sometimes not sure which country I was in until breakfast time.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Back when I was a younger man and capable of travelling all the time I often went through London5 or 6 times a day on my way to here or there. Some days I ended up in the Midwest States 10 or 12 times in a week and never knew whether I would be getting a motel room on the American side or back in Canada.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I suppose I now win by default, eh?

Mj224

Always on