• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lens Choice

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well I am finally upgrading my 600D(Rebel T3i), it has done well as a third hand body which I have racked up nearly 300k shots on. I suspect it still has a good amount of life left but I have been after a 6d and its low light capabilities for a while now. I mainly do macro/ nature so I know a FF body will have less coverage with the same glass I have been using but I am hoping I should be able to get comparable shot MP and framing with cropping and still have the ability to shoot at those higher isos without all the noise I get with the 600D(Rebel T3i).

My main quandary at the moment is a walk about lens. My current 17-50 f2.8 is a EF-s lens so is no use with the new body. I do have some old film primes like an OM 50mm 1.8 and a 24mm 2.8 which I look forward to playing with but I would really like something with AF.

This is probably the most expensive purchase I will have made to date and my budget is a bit tight for extra glass but doing some research I have come up with 2 options although I am open to suggestions providing they are within the £150ish limit.

First is get a used EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, this would run me £150ish used and all my extra funds would be done.
or
second would be to go for an older Canon 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 mk2 with the metal mount and 7 aperture blades but no IS
and a screw about lens like a Cosina/ Tamron/ Vivitar 19-35mm 3.5-4.5 which was also made for film but supposedly not half bad in sharpness when stopped down and a nice somewhat wide angle for architecture and possibly trying some astro if it is sharp enough at f3.5.

So I guess I am wondering if the 28-135 would blow the 28-105 out of the water or would the optical differences be negligible and or fixable in post? If so I do like the idea of an extra WA lens even if the quality leaves a bit to be desired as 28mm is really not that wide.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well I am finally upgrading my 600D(Rebel T3i)(Rebel T3i), it has done well as a third hand body which I have racked up nearly 300k shots on. I suspect it still has a good amount of life left but I have been after a 6d and its low light capabilities for a while now. I mainly do macro/ nature so I know a FF body will have less coverage with the same glass I have been using but I am hoping I should be able to get comparable shot MP and framing with cropping and still have the ability to shoot at those higher isos without all the noise I get with the 600D(Rebel T3i)(Rebel T3i).

My main quandary at the moment is a walk about lens. My current 17-50 f2.8 is a EF-s lens so is no use with the new body. I do have some old film primes like an OM 50mm 1.8 and a 24mm 2.8 which I look forward to playing with but I would really like something with AF.

This is probably the most expensive purchase I will have made to date and my budget is a bit tight for extra glass but doing some research I have come up with 2 options although I am open to suggestions providing they are within the £150ish limit.

First is get a used EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, this would run me £150ish used and all my extra funds would be done.
or
second would be to go for an older Canon 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 mk2 with the metal mount and 7 aperture blades but no IS
and a screw about lens like a Cosina/ Tamron/ Vivitar 19-35mm 3.5-4.5 which was also made for film but supposedly not half bad in sharpness when stopped down and a nice somewhat wide angle for architecture and possibly trying some astro if it is sharp enough at f3.5.

So I guess I am wondering if the 28-135 would blow the 28-105 out of the water or would the optical differences be negligible and or fixable in post? If so I do like the idea of an extra WA lens even if the quality leaves a bit to be desired as 28mm is really not that wide.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Several of the photographers I know who moved from a crop camera to a FF were disappointed with the resolution of their FF.

Your 600D(Rebel T3i) has a higher resolution sensor (greater pixel density or more pixels per square mm) than the 6D. In fact, to have a FF with the same resolution as your 600D(Rebel T3i) you would need a 40.5mp FF whereas the 6D has only 20.2mp - you'll be working with half the resolution (detail) you are used to. The FF will give you a much wider angle of view and significantly larger light wells (6.5 µm as opposed to 4.29 µm) which will provide you a much better ISO range and a much better dynamic range. The 6D also has a lot of features not present or greatly improved in comparison to the 600D(Rebel T3i).

The lens choices you mentioned will all provide about the same image quality - especially at the center. I would focus more on resolution across the lens, lens defects, chromatic aberration, and lens build.

Consider a used Sigma 24-105 f/4 Art DG OS HSM lens as a long-term investment.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Several of the photographers I know who moved from a crop camera to a FF were disappointed with the resolution of their FF. .......
The lens choices you mentioned will all provide about the same image quality - especially at the center. I would focus more on resolution across the lens, lens defects, chromatic aberration, and lens build.

Consider a used Sigma 24-105 f/4 Art DG OS HSM lens as a long-term investment.
Cheers for the response Mike, I know most of that stuff although I hadn't done the math on the resolution. Still think I will give it a go as noise with the 600D(Rebel T3i) is pretty bad from iso800+ and that is one thing the larger light wells in the 6d should handle well. They also seem to be holding their resale value so it isn't a huge gamble and if I end up hating it I will sell it on and get a 760D(Rebel T6s) or a 80d. I ended up throwing a really lowball bid on a Canon 28-105 mk2 on ebay and came home today to find I won the auction. I think for the time being I will make do with that and leave the UWA lens and save for an Art or L lens at some future point.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Before I traded in Canon gear for Fuji gear, I had the 28-135 Ryan. I found it a good walkabout lens, I was into street photography at the time, and found it great for that (mine was a used version too). No experience of the 28-105 though.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Before I traded in Canon gear for Fuji gear, I had the 28-135 Ryan. I found it a good walkabout lens, I was into street photography at the time, and found it great for that (mine was a used version too). No experience of the 28-105 though.
Good to know from a trusted source about the 28-135mm. From what I have read the 28-135 and the 28-105 are very similar optically just a difference in focal length at the long end and the associated aperture increase. Well that and the IS but the 135s are going for £130-150 used and I paid £37 for a mint 28-105mm mkII, not sure if IS is worth £100 to me as my 100-400L has IS and the same aperture at its short end as the 105 at the long and shooting wider I shouldn't need IS as much. I know in the world of photography I am talking peanuts but I probably shouldn't be spending what I am already... :roll:

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have the Sigma 24-105mm art lens and find it sharper than my older Canon 24-105mm L lens (that ended up in the sea).

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have the Sigma 24-105mm art lens and find it sharper than my older Canon 24-105mm L lens (that ended up in the sea).
That does not surprise me one bit Paul, I have several Sigma lenses and I have always been very happy with their IQ and they are not even Art versions which I have read are spectacular. If my car hadn't gone terribly wrong last week I would probably have one in the post by now but it is definitely on my list when the time comes if the price is right.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have not much to add to the above. The Sigma 24-105 is an amazing lens and my work horse walk about lens. I’d say save up for the 80D camera.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have not much to add to the above. The Sigma 24-105 is an amazing lens and my work horse walk about lens. I’d say save up for the 80D camera.
Another for the Sigma , I'm shocked I tell you. :) As for the 80d while it is a beautiful camera I think I'm pretty set on the 6d unless I find a 5dIII going for way cheap.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Another for the Sigma , I'm shocked I tell you. :) As for the 80d while it is a beautiful camera I think I'm pretty set on the 6d unless I find a 5dIII going for way cheap.
As i do like the 80d, the low light you are going for, nothing is going to compare to the ff, as you see.
I am too a fan of the sigma art line also.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I don't know about UK.
But i believe i dealt with them years ago under another name. Mpb.
Worth a look.
They tried (if it's same company)
Bait n switch. Buy, then they are "looking" for one....so the said.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Have you considered the 90D Ryan ?
SUPERB camera
No doubt Tony but I think my next body is definitely going to be FF. I almost thought about selling my whole kit and going for a Nikon d610 setup until I came to my senses and realised how crazy that was. I mean Nikon, really...:exit: