• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

More trees and more mist :) (pic heavy)

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Misty trees aren't everyone's bag but these are the sort of shots I find more satisfying to take if not the most difficult. Over a few days last month I massed a few hundred shots when the conditions were excellent, not perfect, but close. I'd picked off what I thought were the best but now keep finding these sleepers which were initially overlooked.
Thanks for looking and have a good weekend.

Woodland.JPG

Woodland-2.JPG

Not so keen on this, can't quite seem to get the toning right.

Woodland-3.JPG

Woodland-4.JPG

Woodland-5.JPG

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You are a talented chap. When it comes to trees I find it really hard to come up with a composition.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
You are a talented chap. When it comes to trees I find it really hard to come up with a composition.
Cheers Phill.
You're not alone, this is a frequent comment often made with regards to woodland compositions. Recently a highly accomplished landscape photographer of other landscape genres (coastal, mountains) made a similar comment which got me thinking as to why so many people struggle with woodland.
I'm no expert, far from it, but my thoughts on the subject are this. The key to woodland is location, not all wooded areas lend themselves well to photography. Wistman's Wood for example seems like the kind of location you could turn up, point the camera anywhere and you'd have a decent enough shot. Secondly, and more importantly in my opinion, successful pleasing woodland shots rely heavily on atmospheric conditions. Without mist all these shots above would undoubtedly hold no interest to me.
In dense wooded areas my approach is to focus on smaller details shooting long focal lengths to limit the clutter concentrating on tree separation, textures, colour, odd or interesting details. In less dense open areas shoot wider focussing for relationships between neighbouring or groups of trees looking for human aspects like something which resembles a family gathering, or a couple fallen out with each other, one tree ostracised from a group, an odd one out, that sort of thing. But the key ingredient to them all is mist and light, without it it's going to be a struggle otherwise.
Mist does the perfect job of simplifying an often chaotic scene by obscuring distracting backgrounds, it also adds great mood, mystery and atmosphere. Shooting long focal lengths will emphasise the misty effect as you're obviously shooting through more of it. I've forgotten the amount of times I've been fooled in to thinking it's right misty over there only to find when I get there it's not. Looking from afar through lightly misted air gives the impression it's much thicker in the distance than it actually is.
Being on the edge of the mist or just as it begins to burn off is when you'll most likely experience soft dreamy light filtering through, also be aware that mist can ebb and flow.
A perception online resources and photography magazines will have you believe is front to back sharpness is paramount, utter twaddle. A soft background gives a feeling of depth and the impression of mystery. Using a shallow depth of field to throw a background out will pop the area you want to draw most attention to drawing the viewer in. Most of the recent pictures I've uploaded were shot between f/2.8 and f/5.6. I rarely carry a tripod either, they only weigh you down slowing your progress, get caught up in the undergrowth and very often conditions can be fleeting so there's no time to faff.
It's my opinion folks quickly become disheartened with woodland often due to expectations or preconceived ideas not being met because they may be venturing out when the conditions aren't suitable already hampering their efforts before they begin.
In a nutshell, it's not necessarily lack of skill or experience limiting peoples woodland shots but rather a lack of decent conditions and/or decent subjects to photograph. Stick at it, woodland shots are relatively easy under the right conditions.

Sorry for the babble.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for your thoughts, very interesting. Many thanks for taking the time to share.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
All are great. Even the one you aren't keen on.
I'll second the talent.
And talent with the post.
If i get a little color here and fog- it'll be my attempt.
...with a little luck...i'd be extatic if i could "match" any one of yours.

Taboo

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Lovely. Great atmosphere!

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
number 2 does it for me.
Lovely set

the voyager

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I like the last one... Makes me feel like an angel visiting earth to bring everlasting peace. Serious.

Sundar Amartur

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Shot some images in the past of the same genre myself. I have some ways to go to get to this quality. Great set.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Thank you folks.

Shot some images in the past of the same genre myself. I have some ways to go to get to this quality. Great set.
Much like all genres of landscape photography conditions are everything Sundar.

Dotty.c

Founding Member
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
loving these

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Excellent work! Definitely a genre that is extremely difficult, but when everything lines up can be so satisfying.

chingts

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Lovely images.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I can turn up at Wistmans wood, spend two hours walking about and come away with absolutely nothing. I've never had the fortune of mist there though which I think may have helped even me. I'm another duffer with woodland, I think I have maybe two decent woodland images to my name after thousands of tries.

Nice set Scott.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Cheers Barry.
A little bit of mist and you'd have nailed it. Have to say, my woodland hit rate is much less than when doing traditional type landscapes, I've got thousands of duffers too.
I'm sure I read somewhere recently Wistmans has been somewhat trashed with the increased footfall.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The light in #2 is just sublime - heralds warmth and spring. #3 reminds me of some of the woodland scenes in Vikings, for some reason - like it.

Fordsabroad

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great pictures and very interesting explanation of your method. I struggle with woodland photography, when I download my images they do not resemble what I think I took! Plenty of my woodland images just resemble a pile of upright Sticks, mind you I think that of a lot of the YouTube images as well. I will persevere as I have the kit,the time and the subject is going nowhere- now I just need to find that mist!

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
With all the uncertainties the past year, at least I know I can count on Scott and his misty woodlands :). Great shots as always- #2 stands out to me. Mysterious and well-processed.

RGR

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Thanks for the inspiration. Great!

I sometimes think you need fog for trees and woodland. Otherwise, it is difficult to compose anything decent. They all look like the image below whenever the sky is in the image. It's different, but not quite as mystical as I feel in the forest.

20201115-122302-20201115-122302-DSCF0258.jpg

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Thanks for the inspiration. Great!

I sometimes think you need fog for trees and woodland. Otherwise, it is difficult to compose anything decent. They all look like the image below whenever the sky is in the image. It's different, but not quite as mystical as I feel in the forest.
You're welcome and you are right regarding mist and sky. That woodland looks like it could have bags of potential in the right conditions.

RGR

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Oh, I have others too. But yours inspire me to rise more early and do some weather observation.

20081224-115121-20081224-115121-Spaziergang in Ormesheim 02.jpg

16 sport

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Love all of these shots and as many have said this is giving me the inspiration to start getting up earlier to go out and try to catch some early morning misty woods.