• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Seeking advice on Mamiya with finder that won't come off

MJHMTL

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Hi all. Last year I bought a Mamiya M645 1000s with a waist level finder. I've had a great time with it, and have invested in a few lenses (recently a giant 500mm) and it has worked fine, save for in cold weather. No big deal.

I decided to get a prism finder and a grid focusing screen. They arrived today. And then I went to remove the waist level finder. It seems I'm missing the dial on the back right hand side that one would use to remove the finder. So my question is, is it possible to find the part? I've been googling and there are just too many unrelated results to wade through. Am I stuck with this finder forever? Any help would be appreciated. You can see in the image below where the dial would go.

20210816_160349.jpg

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That dial as you call it is merely a turn to lock push pin. It turns to the right to lock, and left so that it's unlocked and you push it in to release the finder locking fingers. I imagine that you could use a fine screwdriver or similar to reach in and release the lock levers if you're careful.
Caution: I'm one of those mechanical types who takes chances with my own stuff very carefully, so you're on your own here if you decide to try.

MJHMTL

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
That dial as you call it is merely a turn to lock push pin. It turns to the right to lock, and left so that it's unlocked and you push it in to release the finder locking fingers. I imagine that you could use a fine screwdriver or similar to reach in and release the lock levers if you're careful.
Caution: I'm one of those mechanical types who takes chances with my own stuff very carefully, so you're on your own here if you decide to try.
Good tip. I went in very carefully with a small screwdriver I use for my glasses, but nothing engaged, unfortunately. Thanks for the tip, though. I called some camera repair people but none of them seem to want to touch Mamiya from this period as it's too difficult to get parts, they say.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I went in very carefully with a small screwdriver I use for my glasses, but nothing engaged, unfortunately.
So, this video is not in English, but the visual is helpful somewhere around the 4 minute mark on.