• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sigma 100-400mm DG DN OS Lens question

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi guys, just bought Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS lens to use with my Sony A7R II today. The lens weighs 1135g and is the heaviest lens I ever used. It doesn't come with a tripod collar. Is it safe to mount the camera on a tripod with this lens attached?

Sigma suggests I can buy TS-111 lens collar for this which costs £140 and is on backorder in most shops. Not really sure if I want to spend so much on a collar. Are there any third party collar alternatives you know of which will fit this lens? I understand Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens also uses this same collar.

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No, don't do that - you'll risk breaking the camera. I can't believe they've made the collar 'optional'. :eek:

I'm sure there will be a third party collar available eventually, but I'm afraid I don't know of one.

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No, don't do that - you'll risk breaking the camera. :eek:

I'm sure there will be a third party collar available, but I'm afraid I don't know of one.
Thank you. That means I definitely need to buy a collar :(.

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ah, you quoted me before my edit - oops! :oops:

If you're careful and are sure to support the lens while you're using the camera and then putting it in a bag for support it will be fine. I wouldn't allow the camera to bear the weight of it if you can help it though.

My main camera has been known to fail this way as Nikon decided for some crazy reason to make that part of the body out of plastic (unlike their previous cameras). It's a D810.

Last edited:

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Maybe this collar will work with it?

iShoot on Amazon
Thanks for the info. I looked at this before, but that particular lens didn't come with any space to mount a collar, so most of the coats online for the old lens are modified ones which fit around all the buttons.

The new lens is designed with space for a collar. My guess is the old one won't fit, but not sure.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I measured the diameter and looks like I need something which has an inner diameter of 87.2mm. The above one is 84mm.

I will look around to see if there is anything which is 87mm.

This one may work...

Scratch

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I too am surprised it doesn’t come with a collar, however when you compare the price against Canons I suppose it shouldn’t come as a surprise. I am a big fan of Sigma, excellent lenses at competitive prices. However I do think you will definitely need one to either mount it on a tripod or attach to a sturdy reliable strap. Enjoy your new toy, you won’t be disappointed with the results it is capable of.

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The following seems to be a viable solution for the time being.

I will ignore the gimbal part as I plan to buy a proper gimbal at some point. But using a slider with a damper may do the job.
One problem with this setup will be that it can only be used in landscape mode.

Last edited:

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This is my final setup. Seems to provide required support under the lens for now, until there is a viable alternative to the Sigma's own collar.

rsz_20200805_114653.jpg20200805_114451.jpg

Scratch

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes, looks fine

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well it's not pretty, but it's a lot better than risking breaking your camera. :)

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well it's not pretty, but it's a lot better than risking breaking your camera. :)
I think it won't bother me at all. The only time I will have this attached is when mounting on a tripod. As the slider is arca swiss, it's just like mounting a longer plate.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Bit late to the party, but the lens bracket for one of these is the Sigma TS111; the collar mount is under that plastic ring at the back. The instructions on how to take that out and attach the collar (as well as the collar model number) are about half way down the user manual.

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Bit late to the party, but the lens bracket for one of these is the Sigma TS111; the collar mount is under that plastic ring at the back. The instructions on how to take that out and attach the collar (as well as the collar model number) are about half way down the user manual.
@SeanNeedham I have seen the Sigma TS111. Just didn't want to spend £140 for a tripod collar. So looking for alternatives. Also the TS111 is on backorder in most places. Hopefully there will be cheaper third party alternatives in the future.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@SeanNeedham I have seen the Sigma TS111. Just didn't want to spend £140 for a tripod collar. So looking for alternatives. Also the TS111 is on backorder in most places. Hopefully there will be cheaper third party alternatives in the future.
There are; it's just a bit odd that a lens collar isn't bundled with a lens of this calibre, I can't really think of a reason why they wouldn't though. The biggest worry I'd have with your solution here, is that the lens hasn't got any support in any direction but down; if you rotated this to a portrait orientation or just a knock sidewards would put the stress back on to the lens mount.

As for the collar, check out SRB as they make bespoke collars for lenses that are significantly cheaper though perhaps not as pretty as an OEM.

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
There are; it's just a bit odd that a lens collar isn't bundled with a lens of this calibre, I can't really think of a reason why they wouldn't though. The biggest worry I'd have with your solution here, is that the lens hasn't got any support in any direction but down; if you rotated this to a portrait orientation or just a knock sidewards would put the stress back on to the lens mount.

As for the collar, check out SRB as they make bespoke collars for lenses that are significantly cheaper though perhaps not as pretty as an OEM.
Thank you. Completely agree with you, the lens should have shipped with a collar. I still can't complain for the cost though.
In terms of mounting vertically, I always have an L bracket attached to my camera and can use the current setup for vertical mounting as well by adding a little bit more foam under the lens.

Thanks for the link to SRB, but they say I can use it only on metal lenses and the sigma is plastic. I think we should start seeing third party mounts in the next few months. The current solution is only a stop gap measure for now. Also I am not a professional photographer. Just need the mount occasionally. Most of my photography will be handheld.

Just thought I will post an update as I can see third party options for the lens mounts now. I ordered the following one for £37. Sigma's own collar is around £140. This will work just like the sigma collar including the 90 degree rotation.
It ships from China, so will be a while before I get it.

picsel

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Completely agree with you, the lens should have shipped with a collar.
Yeah my Sigma 150-600mm came with a collar. Would not want to use it without. Perfectly balanced too, you can sit it on a table on the collar foot, with the camera attached, and it balances nicely, just sitting on the foot, nothing else touching.

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I got my lens collar today. It just took 8 working days for delivery since I ordered. The collar fits fine. Well balanced with camera attached to the lens.

I haven't used lens collars before and not sure if I am doing this right. I understand I should be able to turn the lens to 90 degree right and left. If I tighten the collar I can't turn the lens and if I loosen it, I can turn it, but it doesn't click into 90 degree positions and I worry that the lens may fall.

What is the right way to use these collars?

Tony Mancini

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for the link sapstar to the collar on Ebay just placed an order ;)
Do you have/can you post up a few pictures of yours fitted please
regards
Tony

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for the link sapstar to the collar on Ebay just placed an order ;)
Do you have/can you post up a few pictures of yours fitted please
regards
Tony
Sure will do that.

Tony Mancini

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

sapstar

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Tony Mancini didn't get a chance to do anything professional looking, but this should do the job :). The lens can't be stood up on the collar by itself unless attached to the camera.
20201129_191307.jpg20201129_191248.jpg

Tony Mancini

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks sapstar
excellent that does look the part. You say yours only took 8 days to arrive ?
Dammed sight cheaper than Sigma ;)
It should have been included with the lens or if not available at a more sensible price

Last edited: