• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sigma 70-200mm for Sony a7

Al Rik

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hey there!

I'm planning to buy myself the Sigma 70-200mm f.2.8 lens, mainly for my Sony a7 (I also own an a6000 and thought about buying an a6500 or gh4 soon for filmmaking).

Now I know this lens comes in different mounts. The obvious choice would be to buy it with Sony e mount.

But instead I was thinking of buying it with Canon EF and using an adapter (currently owning a cheap AF adapter) for Sony mount. The advantage would be that I could use it for a lot of different cameras. Was thinking about buying myself a GH4 (or GH5) next year or an Ursa Mini etc.

Now my question would be in regard to that, are there any disadvantages using an adapter to having a native Sony e mount? I'm keen on things like AF C and Eye AF, but don't even know if the lens supports that because it's not a native Sony lens. Generally I could find very little about that online so I just wanted to know your thoughts!

Use would be mainly portraiture with auto focus but also filmmaking (hence AF C)

all the best

Al Rik

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't know if there is a disadvantage to the adapter apart from an extra item to deal with. There is the possibility the adapter will act as an extension tube meaning you will lose far focus but gain a little close focus distance.

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Get the lens having the mount your camera uses - the E-mount.

There are two problems that may be encountered using adapters. 1) The communication between the lens and camera may not function well. This will affect accuracy and speed of focusing; and, 2) When the focal flange difference (with adapter) does not equal the distance that the mount was designed for, the adapter will require a correction lens - even the most expensive adapter will reduce image quality. The Canon EF mount is designed for a focal flange distance of 44mm whereas the Sony E-mount flange distance is 18mm. Also, using the Sigma lens designed for the E-mount will be more compatible with a micro four thirds mount having a 19.25mm flange distance and will require less correction than using the EF mount.