• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Snakes - venomous snakes - Alive !! ... (long post)

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day all

Travelling thru northern Australia at the moment, we came across a wildlife park called 'Snakes Alive' which advertises amongst other things, a display of the world's most venomous snakes. I knew that Australia hosts heaps of venomous snakes, but to find that 9 of the world's top 10 venomous snakes are all dinkum Aussies was news to me

The young lady giving the display was well rigged out with heavy clothing and industrial work boots, but she was so relaxed with the snakes I was just amazed. It seems that all venomous snakes are graded against the Indian Cobra (for some reason) and that snake gets a value of "1" on the toxicity scale

1)- Aussie 'Death Adder'

2)- Aussie 'Mainland Tiger'

3)- Aussie 'Inland Taipan'

The American Rattlesnake that Hollywood makes a big deal about gets a rating of "1/10x" ... that's right ... 0,1x
The Aussie Death Adder is rated at 1,5x (against the Cobra)
The Aussie Tiger snake is rated at 4x and
The Aussie Inland Taipan is rated at 50 to 80x !!!!!!

Anyone interested in following up this interesting topic can find more at
1)- https://www.snakesdownunder.com/ ... (the wildlife park)
2)- http://www.venomsupplies.com/toxicity/ ... an Aussie company that milks venomous snakes and spiders for supply of venom internationally to medical and research organisations

As always, feedback welcome
Phil

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Excellent shots and information Phil.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great shots. Not sure if you can get the tv program in Australia, but have a look at ‘Snakes in the City’, it’s aired on sky tv here in UK. A chap in South Africa catches venomous snakes that gets into peoples houses, and there are always lots of cobras, that you mentioned. He’s very into conservation though, and releases them back into the wild.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The fierce snake (Taipan) is far from it though. They flee from people so are very rarely seen. Most of the land snakes in Aus are timid, it is the sea snakes you have to watch out for there.

The rattle snake is quite aggressive hence its reputation, but as you say far less venomous than many Aussie species. Aussie snakes are far more relaxed.

I did have a brown trousers moment is Australia once. We were travelling from Adelaide to Broken Hill and kipped in the desert. I woke up with a snake around my feet in my sleeping bag. Not being familiar with the snakes of the region you can only imagine what my heart rate did. Very slowly, spare pants on standby, I moved out of the bag. My cousin, who had lived there since he was a kid, was in fits. The snake was a python which he just picked up and put under a bush. It was the second time in two days he had "rescued" me after a huntsman had to be removed from my room. I have since learnt a lot about snakes and spiders in Aus. Love snakes now, fascinating creatures.

Far worse for me are ticks and plants like the gympie, a stinger that can leave pain for months in the worst cases.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful shots and great write-up, Phil. Thanks for that.